The Euros

39 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Isn’t it funny that when England are confident about beating said teams they’re arrogant, then when they beat them they’re ‘easy’ games. I also remember rival fans telling us Germany, Italy, Croatia and the Danes would all beat us comfortably and yet none did apart from the winners Italy who couldn’t win in 120 mins and had to do it via pens. Look back through tournaments of times gone by and plenty of teams have had so called easy runs to the final and it’s never been mentioned until it’s England and the haters need some straws to clutch.

Out of interest who are the top international sides right now?

The same ones i named earlier in the thread.

France (World cup holders) Italy (euro champions) Argentina (copa America winners) Brazil.

The likes of Belgium, Germany etc are a level beneath them.

Plenty teams' easy run to finals have been mentioned before. This 'poor wee England. why do they only mention it when its us' is the same sort of victim mentality as that mob across the city.

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Southgate (and England) came within a baw hair of winning it all. My only criticism was how he handled Grealish & Sancho and his reluctance to change the game after 60min.

It is madness to suggest England are not a good team. 

Has anyone said they aren't a good team?

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Astounded people are still hyping Englands WC campaign.

Lost three matches out of 7 in the tournament to Belgium(twice) and Croatia but we have to be impressed at them beating those top sides in Tunisia, Panama and Sweden. 😆

Ahh, but mate, the bbc were also making comparisons between Roberto Carlos and Luke Shaw and some cunt on Sky was pushing for Sterling to be player of the tournament. Delusion abounds. 

9 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

A fit Foden would have been the first sub last night and Saka wouldn't even have got on the park. 

Fact mate. 

Debatable, but he is miles ahead of Saka though

2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Ahh, but mate, the bbc were also making comparisons between Roberto Carlos and Luke Shaw and some cunt on Sky was pushing for Sterling to be player of the tournament. Delusion abounds. 

It’s a joke with the players and fans though, that’s where it comes from.

I’d have Sterling in the running for it anyway, ahead of Donnarumma 100%

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

So predictable kid x

😂

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The same ones i named earlier in the thread.

France (World cup holders) Italy (euro champions) Argentina (copa America winners) Brazil.

The likes of Belgium, Germany etc are a level beneath them.

Plenty teams' easy run to finals have been mentioned before. This 'poor wee England. why do they only mention it when its us' is the same sort of victim mentality as that mob across the city.

Are you seriously going to talk about easy runs and then put France who drew with Hungary and lost to Switzerland as one of the top teams? At least England won their ‘easy’ games! Italy couldn’t beat England over 120 mins. Brazil haven’t won a World Cup for nearly 20 years, last time they a copa america was against an ‘easy’ Peru before that your going back to 2007. Argentina have just won a copa America after a run against giants like Ecuador and Colombia. Apart from that they’ve won nothing since 93. The exact same logic and criticism can be applied to those teams (apart from Italy) just as easily as England.

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Debatable, but he is miles ahead of Saka though

It’s a joke with the players and fans though, that’s where it comes from.

I’d have Sterling in the running for it anyway, ahead of Donnarumma 100%

😂

I can’t make an argument for Sterling mate. Amount of times he went to ground while looking at the ref was embarrassing. No wonder he was tired yesterday having to get up off his arse so many times. Personally, I would’ve given it to Chiellini. A master at his trade especially when he rodeo downed Saka. Was waiting for him to hogtie him. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Are you seriously going to talk about easy runs and then put France who drew with Hungary and lost to Switzerland as one of the top teams? At least England won their ‘easy’ games! Italy couldn’t beat England over 120 mins. Brazil haven’t won a World Cup for nearly 20 years, last time they a copa america was against an ‘easy’ Peru before that your going back to 2007. Argentina have just won a copa America after a run against giants like Ecuador and Colombia. Apart from that they’ve won nothing since 93. The exact same logic and criticism can be applied to those teams (apart from Italy) just as easily as England.

France who are the current World cup holders? Yeah.

Argentina who have just won Copa America? Yeah

England who last won something when Rangers were going for 35? Not so much,

Surely this "tier 1" stuff should be based on actual results? In the last 3 years you would have consider England are in tier 1 just now because they've been in the last 4 in two tournaments in a row.

In the last 23 years probably not though. The top tier (Europe only) in those years are France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal & Holland considering how many semi finals, finals and trophies they have won? Even then Italy and Holland have both missed tournaments.

Those first 4 nations, and England, should over a generation always be in the top tier along with Brazil and Argentina. I'd say in the last generation Argentina and England are by far the biggest underachievers.

Anyway, I do think it's quite hard to judge what a top tier team in International football:lol:

54 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

They’re also making a big deal of people without tickets rushing into the stadium. Obviously forgotten the hordes of Scots trying to climb over the wall to get into Wembley in the past.

Dont approve of fans using violence to get in but when you see the like of Tom fucking Cruise sitting there you can understand why real football fans get upset at not getting a ticket

The cunt was in the royal box for the womens final at Wimbledon on Saturday as well.

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Same Colombia that England could only beat on pens at the last WC aye? 

France are worried champions...

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

France who are the current World cup holders? Yeah.

Argentina who have just won Copa America? Yeah

England who last won something when Rangers were going for 35? Not so much,

I’m not saying any of those teams are not the worlds top teams, clearly they are.

However if your discounting England from being one of the top teams right now, based on easy runs and past wins then you have to take into account Frances absolute failure in the Euros, or the teams playing in the copa America. 

No one is saying England are the best, but on current form with the current squad they have to be up there.

2 hours ago, the goal machine said:

England need to be more brave. Sat back half an hour as if there was 5 minutes to go.

They were understandably knackered and It’s always tough to change your mentality when you concede a goal. 

Hindsight’s 20/20 but putting Saka on the last penalty made no sense at the time and still doesn’t. Not sure about bringing two guys on who barely played all tournament but at least Rashford actually hits penalties I suppose.

The narrative today is England were happy to try and defend their lead. That's rubbish. Italy bossed and controlledthe game after 30 minutes to the penalties. England simply couldn't match them.

3 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Why’s nobody mentioning Italy’s run of games in Rome? Aye, fair enough they’ve been given England in the Final at Wembley, but it’s got to be played somewhere. It’s a bizarre reach to claim the home advantage had an all dominating effect on their success before the final.

I’m not buying this insistence on painting a narrative that England got there on luck and not on merit. Italy were the best team in the tournament and deserved the win - that doesn’t mean England didn’t deserve to be in the final.

They absolutely did. Put the saltire down for a minute and appreciate the performances objectively.

Italy, England and Denmark were the three big winners of the format. No coincidence that all three played the majority of their games at home and all three reached the semis.

Just now, The Dude said:

Italy, England and Denmark were the three big winners of the format. No coincidence that all three played the majority of their games at home and all three reached the semis.

If England weren’t included in that list, do you really think people would be putting so much importance on the home advantage?

I’d personally say it’s just being used as another stick to beat England with out of bitterness that they nearly won the whole thing.

1 minute ago, Essandoh said:

If England weren’t included in that list, do you really think people would be putting so much importance on the home advantage?

I’d personally say it’s just being used as another stick to beat England with out of bitterness that they nearly won the whole thing.

Yeah I do tbh, the first folk I'd actually seen it mentioned about was Denmark.