Calvin Bassey

Clemdog

13 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Did say to the boy next to me that I thought him playing alongside Goldson rather than Balogun may have helped him. Was excellent. 

I don't mind Balogun, but he's very suspect to balls over the top of him. He doesn't read the game very well. 

Helander isn't as pacy but reads the game /stays touch tight to fwds. Our best defender by quite some margin. 

Many people make out the only thing going for him is is build and athleticism.

But for a big guy he’s actually very good on the ball far more skilful than say Barisic. His crossing still needs some work to get to Borna’s level but he’s got all the attributes required to be a very good fullback. Ideally he will also work on his heading ability if he wants to play at CB!

3 hours ago, GabrielTomato said:

Plenty, including myself, were concerned about Bassey at CB.

Tonight I thought he was fantastic - he was so aggressive in the first 30 minutes and I loved it.

Is he the answer to our CB issues, probably not, but credit where credit is due. I thought he was tremendous. Well done Calvin!

I call it as it is and I've fought his corner on here all season, was the step up player from pre season onwards, should never drop out the team.

Will have his mistakes but he's a young boule with not akot of experience from academy football.

Stick with him Gio, a select few currently and all season who shows the right attributes required to play for our club.

3 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

I call it as it is and I've fought his corner on here all season, was the step up player from pre season onwards, should never drop out the team.

Will have his mistakes but he's a young boule with not akot of experience from academy football.

Stick with him Gio, a select few currently and all season who shows the right attributes required to play for our club.

I agree, I've thought he should be ahead of Barisic all season aswell. Far more aggressive player, and his crossing is improving. I wouldn't mind us next season with Patterson RB and Bassey LB tbh

Was a rock, I think Goldson playing beside him and talking him through the full game is a major factor. Also for Goldson knowing he has Bassey beside him with serious pace if they ever do get caught. 

Was aggressive strong and you can tell he just loves defending. Was my Motm. 

30 minutes ago, cbagan92 said:

Was a rock, I think Goldson playing beside him and talking him through the full game is a major factor. Also for Goldson knowing he has Bassey beside him with serious pace if they ever do get caught. 

Was aggressive strong and you can tell he just loves defending. Was my Motm. 

You could see Goldson talking to him constantly, which must have been great for him.

It was funny when Bassey was down the left wing Goldson was screaming for him to get back. 

8 hours ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

I don't mind Balogun, but he's very suspect to balls over the top of him. He doesn't read the game very well. 

Helander isn't as pacy but reads the game /stays touch tight to fwds. Our best defender by quite some margin. 

Aye a don’t mind Balogun either my biggest peeve about him is he wants to win absolutely every ball which for a centre half isn’t exactly a good thing. 

8 hours ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

My one criticism of Helander is he’s a bit slow shifting the ball out from the back.

11 hours ago, KaiserJon said:

Said it in the match thread. Ye shall not pass, you get crunched and then picked up like an old pair of pants and, without saying anything, you know to get on with the game. 

You’re a fucking weirdo 

10 hours ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Balogun will play one fabulous game out of six and he gets slack because of it but he's incredibly inconsistent and makes more last gasp full length tackles than Goldson or Helander because his game reading is so poor.

A backup at best and not a great one.

Still better than Simpson but...

Think he can grow to be an absolutely dependable back up when our CB pairing are fully fit, and more than capable of filling in as and when required when they aren't, and rotational for smaller games. Would be happy to be proved wrong and he develops into a full first teamer. played a great game.

4 hours ago, maverick1200 said:

You could see Goldson talking to him constantly, which must have been great for him.

It was funny when Bassey was down the left wing Goldson was screaming for him to get back. 

There was on particular moment, something I have never seen, when Borna got in front of a cross at back post (no, thats not the moment), Borna, Bassey and Goldson all high-fived each other for dealing with the threat.

That's the togetherness and strength we've been needing to show, particularly in defence, for a while now. 

2 hours ago, FlippinEck said:

There was on particular moment, something I have never seen, when Borna got in front of a cross at back post (no, thats not the moment), Borna, Bassey and Goldson all high-fived each other for dealing with the threat.

That's the togetherness and strength we've been needing to show, particularly in defence, for a while now. 

Yeah I saw a few high hives from the defence last night. The confidence is slowly coming back to them. 

11 hours ago, maverick1200 said:

Goldson is always by far the most vocal of the back line. Anyone that goes to games hears it. Helander and Balogun are silent in comparison. Which is the main reason he plays even when he's having a bad time. He leads the line. Moves it about. Instructs players.