*****The official Rangers v Crvena zvezda match thread*****

G.E.C.

37 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I know it's hard to avoid some of the difficulties domestically,

I am obviously not alone in my confusion at blowing teams away in Europe, yet blowing two goal leads at home to Motherwell, if Gio could work out how to carry the European form on to the home front we would be looking at a domestic double, as it is we are looking at a barren season trophy wise unless there is a dramatic change of form from us and THEM actually slip up at some point against other teams.

15 minutes ago, Inigo said:

No having this take that we were lucky and everything went out way. It was mostly the rules that went our way.

Bottom line is, they benefitted from being in an offide position and arguably wouldn't have scored if they hadn't been.

A great penalty save isn't unlucky either or something 'going our way'.

Yeah we defo weren't lucky.  Their 3 disallowed goals were confirmed offside, so not wrongly chopped off - can't complain about goals that aren't goals 😂.  We stood up in some big moments, the penalty save for example.  That save was world class, never mind from a 40 year old keeper.  At times we weathered a bit of a storm as they tried to come back into the game, firing I think at one point they had 5 attackers on, but again we stood up when it was needed and made some really good clearances.   

Arguably we could have walked away with a 4 or 5 nil win had we been a bit luckier.   No question we were the better side though, you don't win 3-0 by luck.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Sure walter got to the semi finals in the CL no? 

Assuming you mean 92/93, I suppose really that was a "quarter final" stage even though it was a group stage. It was the same format as the old European Cup with a 32 team knockout in the first two stages just a group stage instead of knockouts for the last 8.

So aye we did get to the last 8 in 92/93 as well!

4 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

Assuming you mean 92/93, I suppose really that was a "quarter final" stage even though it was a group stage. It was the same format as the old European Cup with a 32 team knockout in the first two stages just a group stage instead of knockouts for the last 8.

So aye we did get to the last 8 in 92/93 as well!

It's the semis technically? Cause Milan and Marseille won the groups and played in the final 

5 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

It's the semis technically? Cause Milan and Marseille won the groups and played in the final 

My original post was about how many times we've reached at least the quarter final stage and that it's pretty rare for us. 

Head to head I don't think it's far off to say the results between us and Marseille could be considered a semi final contest though. They would have knocked us out on away goals if it was a normal tie and if we won one of the games against them we'd have been playing Milan.

46 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

My original post was about how many times we've reached at least the quarter final stage and that it's pretty rare for us. 

Head to head I don't think it's far off to say the results between us and Marseille could be considered a semi final contest though. They would have knocked us out on away goals if it was a normal tie and if we won one of the games against them we'd have been playing Milan.

We were one of the top 4 teams, so I'd go with effectively semi finalists.

10 minutes ago, Inigo said:

We were one of the top 4 teams, so I'd go with effectively semi finalists.

If we were THEM, having beaten Dortmund and 3 up from the first leg in the next round, we would already have the ribbons on the trophy and the open top bus booked, despite the fact that Barcelona (not the force they were of course) are still in the competition. As it is we have given ourselves a very good chance of making it to the quarter final and given the luck of the draw, who knows.

The footballing Gods are known for their twisted sense of humour, how mind blowing would it be to make the Final in of all places Seville, and the chance to show the good people of that city what a real travelling support looks like. Lot of hard work and good luck required for this to happen though.

If we do make the quarter final I would imagine that it would be worth a few bob as well, peanuts compared to CL money of course but this European run must have been a good financial boost for us, long may it continue.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

No having this take that we were lucky and everything went our way. It was mostly the rules that went our way.

Bottom line is, they benefitted from being in an offside position and arguably wouldn't have scored if they hadn't been.

A great penalty save isn't lucky either or something 'going our way'.

it pisses me off when people say you would not have won if your goalie had not made these saves  thats his bloody job what he gets paid for same as a striker to score goals

17 hours ago, RS4_wul said:

I think part of the reason is when we are in Europe the opposition actually attempt to play football and ref's more often than not don't allow our opponents to boot the utter fuck out of us.

By no means the only factor but I think it's a small part of why we tend to play far better in Europe than against the dross/wwf cunts in our league.

Having said our opponents in Europe try and play football I'm still expecting RSB to dive and time waste like fuck tonight :lol:

3-1 us.

Good assessment tbh.

Would have loved 4 or 5, but when I way he's the game back, we've got to be delighted with 3 nil.

We will score at least once over there, probably 2, so they ain't scoring 5 or 6, no chance.

They might score 5 or 6 in a crazy 5-5 or 6-6