*****The Official Europa League Final Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

The enormity of what we didn’t win is just hitting me in the cold light of day, I’ve just drank a hauf and a beer that was lying from last night and I’m away back to ma kip, am pullin the covers over ma heid and going back tae sleep, wake me up when the new season starts. Fuck goldson he should’ve been away wae gerrard.

4 minutes ago, The true baller said:

Running everything back in my head, up 1-0 we should have just went full Atletico Madrid. Feign injuries, corner flag, 11 behind the ball. We've shown in the first half Vs Leipzig in Germany we can defend like hardy bastards.

They had a lot of chances over the game though, tbf probably deserved a goal. And one goal was probably the best we were getting. Getting to the lottery of penalties was our best hope, and sadly we lost the roll of the dice. 

1 hour ago, beararse said:

Sorry to hear about your Dad struggling in the heat.

re the lack of water, unless Germans are some weird human/camel hybrid they had the exact same lack of water yet it didn’t stop them from jumping around, singing and waving flags. From afar, the difference between the two sets of fans was like night and day.

Hardly saw many Germans drinking from 10am in the 35 degree heat though. Maybe I was in the wrong spots to see them (likely) or maybe they are camels or maybe they were saving themselves up for the game. 

On the walk to the ground the fans were in fine voice but I reckon everyone hit the brick wall

8 hours ago, Inigo said:

Yes, and you not understanding what that means. I mean, please tell me you're not so stupid as to not understand that 'we had no right to be there' is a phrase used to recognise overachievement in the face of adversity as opposed to any kind of literal meaning that wouldn't actually make any sense?

🤣🤣🤣. So it’s Rangers fault that they beat Dortmund, Braga, Leipzig, and the rest to get to a final they were not supposed to get to? Fucksakes man. You’re hilarious. 

As weird as it might sound as they got us to a European final I think it’s going to be a really good thing players like Goldson, McGregor, Davis and maybe a few others are leaving. End of a cycle, we’ll need fresh players if we want a run like that again in the next few years.

Just now, Hadron Collider said:

🤣🤣🤣. So it’s Rangers fault that they beat Dortmund, Braga, Leipzig, and the rest to get to a final they were not supposed to get to? Fucksakes man. You’re hilarious. 

It’s a reality that European football simply isn’t set up for Scottish teams to get anywhere near a final. It doesn’t immediately help the gutting feeling of last night but it has to be considered in the grander scheme 

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

It’s a reality that European football simply isn’t set up for Scottish teams to get anywhere near a final. It doesn’t immediately help the gutting feeling of last night but it has to be considered in the grander scheme 

It’s really ok to dream about getting to a European final though. And when it happens, why should it lessened by saying we don’t deserve to be there. Fucking right we deserved to be there mate. 

6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Feel like it’s really not that difficult to understand the point he’s making, mate. 

2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

It’s really ok to dream about getting to a European final though. And when it happens, why should it lessened by saying we don’t deserve to be there. Fucking right we deserved to be there mate. 

‘No right to be there’ doesn’t mean we didn’t deserve to be 

13 minutes ago, offminorthreat said:

Hardly saw many Germans drinking from 10am in the 35 degree heat though. Maybe I was in the wrong spots to see them (likely) or maybe they are camels or maybe they were saving themselves up for the game. 

On the walk to the ground the fans were in fine voice but I reckon everyone hit the brick wall

There will be lot of truth in that. 
Different cultures and mind sets.
We turned up to party, they turned up to support their team…at least, that’s what it felt like 

8 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

I take it back, you're not obtuse, you're a complete fucking idiot if that's what you think any of my contribution means. I mean, genuinely retarded.

12 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

As weird as it might sound as they got us to a European final I think it’s going to be a really good thing players like Goldson, McGregor, Davis and maybe a few others are leaving. End of a cycle, we’ll need fresh players if we want a run like that again in the next few years.

I sort of get what you're trying to say, but I think it's unfair to lump Davis and Shagger in with Goldson. The former two have been great servants to the club over an extended period of time. Goldson is a player, who on his day can be superb, but as we saw last night and on multiple other occasions, bottles it - he simply doesn't have the mental fortitude for this level. I'd throw Tav, Barisic and Kamara and Kent into that mix.

15 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

Even if we’d pulled it off last night we were going to need a rebuild between players out of contract, too old, unable to be relied on to start games and injury prone ones. The automatic CL place would have helped that but we’ll see what happens with the qualifier 

1 minute ago, left winger said:

Just watching the game back at the moment. Wright could have made a better effort stopping the cross coming in, but why the fuck did Goldson not try to cut it out? Couldn’t really see it clearly at the game, but that was horrendous defending.

Yeah, for me, Goldson’s positioning and then not attacking that ball ultimately cost us last night. Wel’ll never know obviously, but if we’d just seen it out a bit longer, we could well have been on for a 1-0.

It was horrendous defending at a key moment.

The players did amazingly to get us there.  In the end though, too many played the occasion, and not the team.  Too many just didn’t show up.

Just now, BearInTheToon said:

Yeah, for me, Goldson’s positioning and then not attacking that ball ultimately cost us last night. Wel’ll never know obviously, but if we’d just seen it out a bit longer, we could well have been on for a 1-0.

It was horrendous defending at a key moment.

The players did amazingly to get us there.  In the end though, too many played the occasion, and not the team.  Too many just didn’t show up.

I’m not a natural optimist and the game was a tough watch with both teams struggling for quality clearly. But I have to admit when Aribo scored I thought we were pulling it off

Just now, simplythebest said:

I’m not a natural optimist and the game was a tough watch with both teams struggling for quality clearly. But I have to admit when Aribo scored I thought we were pulling it off

Went off my nut in the livingroom then thought about var :lol:

Wright starting yesterday was the Broadfoot of 2008. 

It's a scandal that we've not (adequately)  replaced Candeias as a right sided winger in three years. 

What's also a scandal is, despite knowing we needed a striker last summer and especially in January... we never and opted to sign 2 mids who never play and a youth. 

i'll be forgiven for thinking what might have been.  So disappointed as that lot were there for the taking last night.