*****The Official Europa League Final Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

Devastated to lose on penalties. Players gave it everything they had in testing conditions. Football can be cruel. Still raw at the moment. Reminding myself that those players have punched above their weight and given us some great memories over the past season.

Thought the atmosphere created in our end was flat at best. Said as much to my dad a couple of times during the game. Disappointing, when I think back to how noisy our away support have been at other matches in Europe over the last 2-3 seasons. Last night was the flattest atmosphere I’ve experienced in Europe which I was gobsmacked by considering this was a final. When their supporters were being shown on the big screens they looked noisy and confident that they would win, while we looked burnt out and nervous. Insert reason here as to why that was.

Onto Saturday. Players need to keep their heads up as still silverware at stake.

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Was screaming all night at how many times he gave the ball away with needless poor long balls.

Was so frustrating.

I just don’t get why you don’t mix it up more when it doesn’t work the first two or three times. Gio has been great at making little tweaks during games during this run but he either didn’t do them, or he got them wrong last night.

11 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The over reliance on the big raking ball out from Goldson killed us a bit last night too. It was clearly a tactic, but we should have mixed it up more. 

This is what I mentioned earlier about not putting Ramsey on. Someone who has the ability to take the ball in, in tight spaces and set attacks up. Once Frankfurt realised if they pressed high the ball would come back to them, they kept doing it. 

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I just don’t get why you don’t mix it up more when it doesn’t work the first two or three times. Gio has been great at making little tweaks during games during this run but he either didn’t do them, or he got them wrong last night.

I don't know if it was necessarily tactical, I think it was more down to a lack of bravery on the ball/showing for the ball that we really only remedied when Davis came on.

Uncle and his mate at the game said it was the worst experience at an away European game ever. No water, beer, drinks at all. Frankfurt smashed one of their kiosks over it. 

I watched it in the Olympic one and there was a nice cool breeze but from 9am-8pm Spanish time it was absolutely fucking roasting. I knew sitting in that heat that the players were going to struggle.

Fuck it. Done and dusted. They were shite and we were worse. Barisic, Tav and Kent were way below par. Goldson long balls were as useful as factor 15 sunlotion

Post on FF nails it.

We've lost the same goal all season

Thread starterGovanfrnt-f 

Start dateToday at 7:24 AM

G

Govanfrnt-f

Today at 7:24 AM

Wright doesn't stop the cross, goldson let's it run past him and mcgregor is rooted to his line

Leipzig- Tav doesnt stop the cross Nkunu gets there before Goldson

Jota goal in oldfirm - Goldson and Tav poor in stopping maedas cross, Barisic and Mcgregor rooted to the spot.

Red star- no pressure on the cross. Morelos Kamara and Goldson fail to read the flight Red star score

Motherwell's in the 2-2 game - Lundstram doesn't stop the cross, mcgregor and goldson ball watching, let it run across and Roberts has a tap in

In the 3-0 old firm loss Tav doesnt stop Hatates cross Goldson let's it run, Mcgrgor and Barisic on their heels and Abada nips in at the back post

I could go on and on with this. 

Our wide men need to close that space and stop the cross, more often than not its goldson or Borna letting it run and above all we need a keeper that's able to anticipate the cross and get off his line sharp enough to collect it. 

The goals I've mentioned killed us this season. Next year Goldson and Mcgregor won't be there so let's stop making the same mistakes and we'll maybe win a few more games.

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Immensely proud of the team after slaughtering them for so long over the course of the last 4 years, last night was just a hurdle too far for us and to lose on penalties is just heartbreaking. 

Win the Scottish Cup on Saturday and we can all look forward to next season with high hopes, we'll do absolutely fine with Gio if he gets the money to spend. 

Missed you mate.

18 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The over reliance on the big raking ball out from Goldson killed us a bit last night too. It was clearly a tactic, but we should have mixed it up more. 

All did was rake it out of play. 

I honestly can’t wait to see a Rangers team without him in it. Fed up watching him make the same mistakes over and over. 

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The most comfortable we looked when building from the back was when he brought Sands on and went to the back 3. Unfortunately it was with 20 minutes left which may have been because we were extremely deep into the game rather than the actuall change - just another "what if"

I had a gut wrenching feeling when he took Sakala off with Roofe and Ramsey coming on just for the penalties. It seems to rarely ever work.

8 hours ago, AGM_72 said:

Each to their own, but you're a moron if you think Leon King is leading us into the Champions League next season. Football manager pish at best.

I didn’t say King would lead us anywhere but I bet any reasonable centre half would have cut out the ball leading to their goal, moron!

8 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Immensely proud of the team after slaughtering them for so long over the course of the last 4 years, last night was just a hurdle too far for us and to lose on penalties is just heartbreaking. 

Win the Scottish Cup on Saturday and we can all look forward to next season with high hopes, we'll do absolutely fine with Gio if he gets the money to spend. 

Glad to see you back mate.

I'm grateful for the opportunity of hope that our team has given us in the last few months on this European Run.

We drew last night and in all honesty punched above our weight on the run into the final

Truly gutted we never got it over the line last night

Still proud as punch to be One of The People this morning.

:rangers:

Maybe I’m being too harsh but I think a few of the players will have some big regrets for their entire careers after last night. It’s all very well getting to the final and I am proud of them, but it’s about winning. Too many players didn’t turn up last night and I thought the overall performance was really poor. I really don’t think the heat helped and both teams were clearly fucked even before 60th minute. 

I thought team selection and changes were odd in the extreme as well. A massive shame. Still think we’ll qualify through the playoffs for champions league for what’s it worth. 

33 minutes ago, left winger said:

Sorry mate. Just fucked off at the mo.

Wasn’t really applying logic, just puting  it out there that the facilities may have been better at their end.

Nae need to apologise, think there will be lots of ‘fucked off’ replies for the foreseeable.

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Wasn’t there as I said but I’ve seen people I know that were there and go every week to watch us and have said it’s the worst “away support” they’ve ever experienced. There were plenty of day trippers there, you seen on this forum alone cunts that admitted they don’t go usually that were paying well over the odds to be there last night.

Had no real bearing on the result obviously but I thought for the amount of us that seemed to be in that ground last night we sounded horrific 

No denying it was awful, was like a library. But I was honestly more concerned with not passing out than singing.

I didn't even touch a drop of drink, If I'd have been on it I'd have had to have left at half time.