*****The Official Europa League Final Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

2 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I'm not saying he wasn't, my point is we never replaced him.  Surely even you have to agree with how bad we've been wide-right for the last 11 years?

The best player we've had out right in that time frame and who plays his best football out there is Jo Aribo. I'd say the connection between he and Tav is much better than it was with Candeias and Tav purely down to quality it provides.

Gio has addressed a lot of issues in the last 3 months but I still don't like how he uses Aribo in the centre of midfield. No criticism of him up top though, done his best in a role that is not his.

8 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I'm not saying he wasn't, my point is we never replaced him.  Surely even you have to agree with how bad we've been wide-right for the last 11 years?

Aye. I don’t think anyone was overly bad last night really. 

Gutted to have lost the game obviously but I don’t think there’s much to say about losing when it happens because of penalties.

The one thing that I found truly mind boggling and will until the day I die was Sands coming on. I can’t even begin to understand that substitution because, and I refuse to hear any different, he is a fucking shite footballer 

3 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

The best player we've had out right in that time frame and who plays his best football out there is Jo Aribo. I'd say the connection between he and Tav is much better than it was with Candeias and Tav purely down to quality it provides.

Gio has addressed a lot of issues in the last 3 months but I still don't like how he uses Aribo in the centre of midfield. No criticism of him up top though, done his best in a role that is not his.

Absolutely.  And this goes back to my point to my nephew last night.  Had we a fit striker, Aribo plays there at least.  

i really hope Gio has the necessary funds to bring someone in to that position. 

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Gutted to have lost the game obviously but I don’t think there’s much to say about losing when it happens because of penalties.

The one thing that I found truly mind boggling and will until the day I die was Sands coming on. I can’t even begin to understand that substitution because, and I refuse to hear any different, he is a fucking shite footballer 

100% and said the same when he came on.

Ultimately the lack of a striker and in general a lack of quality in final third killed us last night.

Wright and Sakala are shockingly bad, absolutely no football intelligence whatsoever.

Kent was non existent and his finishing is shocking.

Aribo tried his best and took his goal briliantly.

Jack was terrible and tbh looks done to me.

Arfield just isn’t good enough.

massive Summer ahead recruitment wise.

9 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

The Sands sub was honking mate. Unless it was solely to bring on a boring player to get to penalties, in that case it worked but I wasn’t a fan of it at all tbh or Sakala before Roofe but maybe that’s where his fitness was at.

19 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Absolutely.  And this goes back to my point to my nephew last night.  Had we a fit striker, Aribo plays there at least.  

i really hope Gio has the necessary funds to bring someone in to that position. 

I think we'll be okay money wise. I don't think our accounts will be as bad as others think.

I can see a few players going as well which will bring in decent money, especially after this run. 

The goal yet again is the accumulation of mistakes that we make time and time again. Failing to stop the cross, ball watching and being beaten to it first. McGregor nearly stops it as well. We restricted them to long shots which they are admittedly good at but come extra time we looked like the team who wanted to win it more. Its fine margins which in this run have went our way far more than not, this time it wasn't meant to be

Squad needs freshened up.

I'd move on Aribo, Kamara, Balogun, Davis, Barisic, Shagger, Itten and Roofe (mainly because he's injury prone) to bring new blood in. They've been great, but the squad needs renewed now.

Thanks to them all for two memorable years.

8 minutes ago, CR3 said:

The Sands sub was honking mate. Unless it was solely to bring on such a boring player to get to penalties and only in that case I’d accept it worked but I wasn’t a fan of that at all tbh or Sakala before Roofe but maybe that’s where his fitness was at.

Said at the time I’d have rather seen us give Ally a pair of boots and bring him on than Sands and I stand by that this morning while now sober 

22 minutes ago, chris182 said:

First point of failure was failing to stop the cross. Second was Goldson no?

Goldson was in a nightmare situation, it was a wicked ball in, hit with pace and going across the 6 yard line, and because his positioning is in between the posts any sort of a touch and it could go in, ge has a split second to try weigh up his options

Bassey just needs to track the runner, if he gets and stays goalside the boy doesn't score, baasey is caught in between two decisions as well, he sticks with his man or goes and attacks the ball, split second decision that bassey decided to stick with his man who got the jump on him by less than a yard (remember aribos miss against leipzig, the defender marking aribo leaves him when wright is about to header the ball and instead chooses to drop to his goalline predicting wright to try head it on goal, ge got lucky aribo missed the knock down but its split second decisions like that) 

However its a tough one because the cross is fucking tremendous, and the strikers movement is good, wright could have done more to cut the cross out but its still a dyno cross, compare that to tavs in the first few mins that he ballooned out the park on the other side

31 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Don’t really get how anyone can say the players shat it last night, that’s a bit of lazy reflection for me. Surely no one thinks we were going to be playing free flowing football in a European final in the blistering heat. 

How not, the germans did, some of their passing out the back under pressure was immense, we hoofed the ball for nearly 2hrs

37 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He was brought on to play in the back 3 and allow lundstram to stay in the middle of the park, once jack went off we needed lundstram back in there, sands slotted right into the back 3

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

How not, the germans did, some of their passing out the back under pressure was immense, we hoofed the ball for nearly 2hrs

It was a brutal watch last night. Didn’t string two passes together all night, never seen us so loose with our passing. Lost count the amount of times a diagonal pass got pinged 10 yards too high and straight out of play. Even our goal was a massive slice of luck, two slices actually the header and then the slip. 

2 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

It was a brutal watch last night. Didn’t string two passes together all night, never seen us so loose with our passing. Lost count the amount of times a diagonal pass got pinged 10 yards too high and straight out of play. Even our goal was a massive slice of luck, two slices actually the header and then the slip. 

Comes from not having enough technically proficient players midfield to forward. Too many not condisent enough taking it tight and moving it quickly with two touches.

1 hour ago, xaldub said:

I sort of get what you're trying to say, but I think it's unfair to lump Davis and Shagger in with Goldson. The former two have been great servants to the club over an extended period of time. Goldson is a player, who on his day can be superb, but as we saw last night and on multiple other occasions, bottles it - he simply doesn't have the mental fortitude for this level. I'd throw Tav, Barisic and Kamara and Kent into that mix.

I find it hard to really berate any players over a final like that we’ve had far far far better players than Goldson not get close to a knockout round nvm European finals.

Its something that happens and for a club of our level they are rare occasions compared to the bigger clubs who also have the finances to go along with it.

I feel the same way with Ramsay it’s been an absolute rubbish signing overall but I’ve seen Ronaldo miss a UCL shoot out penalty in the same game he scored and won the Balon D’or that season it simply happens.

27 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Squad needs freshened up.

I'd move on Aribo, Kamara, Balogun, Davis, Barisic, Shagger, Itten and Roofe (mainly because he's injury prone) to bring new blood in. They've been great, but the squad needs renewed now.

Thanks to them all for two memorable years.

I would keep Aribo and Balogun but add Wright, Helander and Simpson to the list

Just now, Mols94 said:

I would keep Aribo and Balogun but add Wright, Helander and Simpson to the list

Wright will probably stay for the whole Scottish trained thing. Unless he feels enough of the youngsters are ready.

Wright's frustrating. He does something well technically to make space then at some point in his move his technique will let him down. Goes from impressive to disappointing in the space of a few seconds.

He has the heart, but the inconsistent technique will always let him down.