*****The Official Europa League Final Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

1 hour ago, beararse said:

You reckon it’s more likely that half a stadiums’s water supply ran out exactly where the Germans were sat or that a disproportionate amount of kiosks were made available for them? 

All sounds like excuses from some of our fellow bears, sad to say. If the conditions were as bad as some describe then the fans should put in an official complaint to the club and UEFA. But my guess is that the German fans showed some savvy and didn't get pissed/dehydrated before the match knowing that the heat in the stadium would be intense. I've been in similar circumstances in stadia in Brazil etc ... fans collapsing with heat stroke, and so forth. But you plan ahead as you know what the conditions are going to be like and act accordingly. And once in the stadium, you buy all the drinks etc you possibly can in preparedness before they run out.

One last comment and observation ; in the areas with mixed support the Frankfurt fans were visibly more vocal and animated in the support of their team. Same conditions, same lack of amenities. Even with the benefit of a full night's sleep, and further time to reflect on events, I'm still disappointed with our support in that game. Yes, I think the players underperformed/froze, but maybe, just maybe, with that little bit extra support form the stands it might have pushed them over the finishing line.

16 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Even if we’d pulled it off last night we were going to need a rebuild between players out of contract, too old, unable to be relied on to start games and injury prone ones. The automatic CL place would have helped that but we’ll see what happens with the qualifier 

Yeah this is a team reaching it's end. Hopefully finish up with the Scottish cup. 

It's definitely a big rebuild in the summer. Just need to hope gio is backed as much as possible. We need to get new players in as soon as possible for the qualifiers.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Blue said:

I didn’t say King would lead us anywhere but I bet any reasonable centre half would have cut out the ball leading to their goal, moron!

:lol: Leon King is levels below Goldson and suggesting otherwise, mistake last night or not, is absolute drivel.

25 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

No denying it was awful, was like a library. But I was honestly more concerned with not passing out than singing.

I didn't even touch a drop of drink, I've I'd have been on it I'd have had to have left at half time.

Aye the water thing sounds grim. Anyway I have no interest in trying to properly run the supporters down because everyone obviously was there to see us win, I just thought the atmosphere from our end was disappointing 

Just now, JograBear said:

Goldson had a shocker. 

Bassey added another 10m onto his value. 

Give us more players with the will to win like Bassey! 

We did well to get that far but too many weak minded players in the team. 

If we could clone Bassey we'd win the UCL !

6 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Wright starting yesterday was the Broadfoot of 2008. 

It's a scandal that we've not (adequately)  replaced Candeias as a right sided winger in three years. 

What's also a scandal is, despite knowing we needed a striker last summer and especially in January... we never and opted to sign 2 mids who never play and a youth. 

i'll be forgiven for thinking what might have been.  So disappointed as that lot were there for the taking last night. 

Candeias :lol:

Mate in reality he was bang fucking average 

No really Into the whole finger pointing and if buts and maybes. One thing I’ll say about last night is about Calvin Bassey, boy was absolutely unreal last night, monster of a performance. Hope we get a few years out of him before teams from more lucrative leagues come sniffing. 

11 minutes ago, xaldub said:

All sounds like excuses from some of our fellow bears, sad to say. If the conditions were as bad as some describe then the fans should put in an official complaint to the club and UEFA. But my guess is that the German fans showed some savvy and didn't get pissed/dehydrated before the match knowing that the heat in the stadium would be intense. I've been in similar circumstances in stadia in Brazil etc ... fans collapsing with heat stroke, and so forth. But you plan ahead as you know what the conditions are going to be like and act accordingly. And once in the stadium, you buy all the drinks etc you possibly can in preparedness before they run out.

One last comment and observation ; in the areas with mixed support the Frankfurt fans were visibly more vocal and animated in the support of their team. Same conditions, same lack of amenities. Even with the benefit of a full night's sleep, and further time to reflect on events, I'm still disappointed with our support in that game. Yes, I think the players underperformed/froze, but maybe, just maybe, with that little bit extra support form the stands it might have pushed them over the finishing line.

This.

Absolutely spot on. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Blue said:

I didn’t say King would lead us anywhere but I bet any reasonable centre half would have cut out the ball leading to their goal, moron!

In addition to not spraying Hollywood passes around that had no hope of finding a man or even staying in the pitch, thus breaking up any kind of rhythm we might have been tying to get going.

24 minutes ago, sRcFoCt said:

Couple of pages back mate from a copy of a follow follow thread tells us that we've lost that goal alot this season.

First thing your taught as a defender if in doubt launch it out.

On that note, if Barisic cops it for 2 goals at the sty, Bassey must as well - very similar circumstances.

Everyone knows my feelings about goldson but to say last night he had a shocker, was abysmal etc is brutal, one slack touch to give up a chance 

Even at the goal, the pace of the cross and goldson place in the box, could easily scuff it into the net instead of clearing it, its a tremendous ball in that we somehow can never produce 

And i know this will go against the grain, bassey instead of trying to outmuscle the boy, if he just tracks the run completely and sticks out a leg instead of trying to shoulder the boy off balance he blocks the shot

But its all ifs and buts, our goal came from a defensive mistake as well and imo frankfurt were the better team overall

3 minutes ago, HG5 said:

On that note, if Barisic cops it for 2 goals at the sty, Bassey must as well - very similar circumstances.

Bassey done all he could to try cover the great movement by Borre. Goldson could've had it easily cut it before it even gets to him. Wright could've just stopped the cross completely. 

Just now, esquire8 said:

Bassey done all he could to try cover the great movement by Borre. Goldson could've had it easily cut it before it even gets to him. Wright could've just stopped the cross completely. 

Certainly agree on the last 2 - still think Calvin could have helped out.

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Nah not for me, bassey tracks the run and gets between the boy and the goal it doesnt go in

Yeah, that’s true, but Bassey’s culpability is in line with Wright’s. Neither did well enough, but Goldson just didn’t bother.

Just now, left winger said:

Yeah, that’s true, but Bassey’s culpability is in line with Wright’s. Neither did well enough, but Goldson just didn’t bother.

Nailed it👍

Don’t know if he was worried about an og, but it looked like he decided to leave it.