*****The Official Union Saint-Gilloise v Rangers Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

What are we betting tonight folks? Reckon their could be a few goals as USG will have to have a go at some point leaving space we could exploit. A couple of quid on Gers 3-1 @20/1 might not be too silly a punt. Would love a clean sheet obv, however our defence still has to settle and will see a new set up again tonight.

8 minutes ago, northern bear said:

I think tonight is going to be a difficult game but hope I'm wrong. We don't yet know our strongest team and these qualifiers give me the fear 

Historically CL qualifiers have always been difficult for us. Hopefully Gio will have a plan and have us well prepared.

11 minutes ago, northern bear said:

I think tonight is going to be a difficult game but hope I'm wrong. We don't yet know our strongest team and these qualifiers give me the fear 

No game at this level is easy, etc, etc, and of course that is the case. However we should be good enough over the two legs, especially as we will not be up against the 0-0-10 formation we face most weeks domestically. As I said earlier, there will be a goal or three in this one I think, hopefully we can come back home with an advantage that will see us through the Ibrox return.

28 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

What are we betting tonight folks? Reckon their could be a few goals as USG will have to have a go at some point leaving space we could exploit. A couple of quid on Gers 3-1 @20/1 might not be too silly a punt. Would love a clean sheet obv, however our defence still has to settle and will see a new set up again tonight.

Rangers -2 @born a blue nose

15 minutes ago, don logan said:

Historically CL qualifiers have always been difficult for us. Hopefully Gio will have a plan and have us well prepared.

Seemed goldson was having a small dog at gerrard when commenting just how tactically aware gio is and how much preparation he puts into these games 

Free admission to the Stella Brewery tour, just as well I am not over there, would probably have missed the game. From the local tourist board website.

Stella Artois Brewery Tours and Tickets

Free admission

As the home of Stella Artois, this working brewery in suburban Leuven provides a behind-the-scenes glimpse into Belgium’s beer-based industry and culture. Guests can tour the factory floor to see firsthand how the lager is brewed and bottled, sample fresh draughts in the rooftop bar, or choose tasters to take home from the on-site gift shop.

"Sample fresh draughts". :thumbsup: I would imagine that there will be a fair bit of sampling going on today.

On paper we had a good transfer window. But we are now in the position of asking new recruits to hit the ground running in a CL qualifier. I will take any result at this stage that gets us through over the 2 legs.

Tonight could well be tricky and while I would love us to win my gut says a draw will be the result.

2 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Are union any better than the midtjylland side we faced? 

Not sure anyone really knows... My gut feel is that this side will be decent and hard to beat, just because of how well the Belgian national team play, you'd think that the domestic game might be at a good level.

That being said, if we have ambitions of playing Champions League football regularly, we should be aiming well above the likes of this team.

8 minutes ago, lau03143 said:

Not sure anyone really knows... My gut feel is that this side will be decent and hard to beat, just because of how well the Belgian national team play, you'd think that the domestic game might be at a good level.

That being said, if we have ambitions of playing Champions League football regularly, we should be aiming well above the likes of this team.

You forgetting 2 years ago?

7 hours ago, SPWF said:

Harry Kane scores about 30 goals a season. :lol: Kent scored 2 last season. 

Yes. He's a very good striker. Completely different position but that's not here nor there. If you were basing your point solely on Kent's numbers you would have a point maybe but you're not. You're saying Kent is shite cause he's not won enough trophy's which is wrong.

Also need to get passed this notion that £7m is a lot of money. £7m gets you middle of the park players these days. 

We need solid experience for a game like this. Jack,Arfield,Kamara,Lundstram, etc. should all play. Maybe Davis on at some point.

Now is not the time to have a team full of players that  have never played a European game before. Especially an away game. 

7 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Yes. He's a very good striker. Completely different position but that's not here nor there. If you were basing your point solely on Kent's numbers you would have a point maybe but you're not. You're saying Kent is shite cause he's not won enough trophy's which is wrong.

Also need to get passed this notion that £7m is a lot of money. £7m gets you middle of the park players these days. 

He never said he was shite because he hadn’t won trophies though, he was told he had paid back his fee with what we had achieved.