Hot Headed Morelos

Blue Viking

Just now, The Dude said:

Our top earner seems to change on a daily basis and depending on who the subject of the thread is.

After five months out injured, it absolutely is a reward for effort in training. If a player is half-arsing their rehab and recovery, they aren't getting thrown back into the side a month ahead of plan.

Well he’s in about the level. You honestly pick the daftest most pedantic things to go after.

Is it fuck. An absolute nonsense :lol: 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

To a point, yes, we'd be looking to build his fitness up but that'll, usually, only come when a player is putting the work in to get back to full fitness. If he'd started the summer working and has dropped off, I'd expect to have seen his place on the bench given to someone else - or at least other players brought on instead of Morelos. By keeping him involved as we have, I find it hard to believe there have been concerns over his efforts to get match fit.

Wee example (and sorry if anyone feels like I'm insulting their intelligence here) - See when you see players get close to starts after injury and then they maybe disappear from the squad for a game or two with a knock or a 'he's just got a bit stiffness/fatigue after so long out', sometimes that's because they've taken their foot off the gas a bit in training and aren't putting in the work to get back to 100%.

If Morelos has slacked off, I'd have expected to see him 'a wee bit tired' after 5 months out and dropped for a game or two. The fact the club are briefing that his contract offer is off the table suggests there's something MUCH bigger that's happened behind the scenes .

I see where you're coming from, but I think Gio has maybe tried to give Alfie some benefit of the doubt on this front because of his status within the support and, to a lesser extent, due to Roofe being injured as well. Obviously it's backfired - and I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some sort of escalation since the red card.

2 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Can it not just be as simple as why would we be offering him a new deal with likely improved terms at a time where he's not clearly fit and sulking?

If he had more time on his deal, I'd understand the game of chicken with him but with Morelos technically able to discuss a Bosman from December 1, it's a bigger risk on our part than Morelos' imo.

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

Seems pretty obvious that we have been supporting him and trying to get him back to full fitness but he isn't putting the work in and Saturday has been the final straw, diny know how anyone can come to any other conclusion tbh

Because some wee knob put on twitter/what's app that apparently Tav had him against a wall yesterday :lol:

Just now, Colin Traive said:

You’re splitting hairs for fuck knows what reason, trying as usual to make this thread all about you.

I think Gio has been tolerant over Morelos’ lack of fitness but has supported him until the weekend.

The idiocy of the player, plus his apparent lack of remorse (when 100% in the wrong) which drove the club captain to use the word “stupid”, we’re the last straw is my guess looking in from outside.

There is every possibility that he was on course to leave for nothing next summer so leaving now (and thereby raising funds for a replacement) might actually do us a favour.

The status quo would never be acceptable to a manager with an ounce of pride so Gio has my backing 100%. Sounds very much like senior pros, playing fifty-odd games a season have had enough of a half-fit, petulant walking tantrum who can’t put in a twenty minute shift without getting himself into bother pointlessly.

Im surmising this from what I’ve seen and heard so I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Eh?

1 minute ago, Siam69 said:

Just quickly skimmed over a few pages there.

So apparently it's all a conspiracy by Management and Senior players against wee Alfie, then, aye!

Makes sense :sarcasm:

Previous manager was in on the conspiracy as well when he dropped him for a game that could have seen him lose his job

1 minute ago, AGM_72 said:

I see where you're coming from, but I think Gio has maybe tried to give Alfie some benefit of the doubt on this front because of his status within the support and, to a lesser extent, due to Roofe being injured as well. Obviously it's backfired - and I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some sort of escalation since the red card.

This is what I think too, I'd just rather the club were more upfront about it. If there's been a further incident after the red card then they could easily have kept this in house - at least until after Wednesday night.

1 minute ago, The Specky Liar said:

Seems pretty obvious that we have been supporting him and trying to get him back to full fitness but he isn't putting the work in and Saturday has been the final straw, dont know how anyone can come to any other conclusion tbh

Yip. 

Doesn’t mean the club’s comms & actions around it haven’t been poor though

Just now, The Dude said:

If he had more time on his deal, I'd understand the game of chicken with him but with Morelos technically able to discuss a Bosman from December 1, it's a bigger risk on our part than Morelos' imo.

Agree on that, its a risk but clearly one we've decided to take & tbh I think its right in this case.

The alternative is to offer him a 3/4/5 year deal on what 25/30k a week and be left with the player we have right now in the hope that either he bucks up his ideas or we get a bid in for him

3 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Seems pretty obvious that we have been supporting him and trying to get him back to full fitness but he isn't putting the work in and Saturday has been the final straw, dont know how anyone can come to any other conclusion tbh

It doesn't mean the club haven't handled it atrociously.

Not a fan of DG being the cock he is when it comes to us in the media. We’ve had constant circus acts with him in charge in the last 18 months, it’s ridiculous. 

However Morelos has had more than enough chances, fair enough he’s not had a red card in nearly 2 years but to even put yourself in that position on Saturday is ridiculous. He’s clearly short of fitness and Tavernier the captain couldn’t even contain his anger on Saturday, he was visibly raging for a normally quiet, unassuming guy especially in press conferences. 

We’ll need him to get his head sorted to sell him or play him, whether he actually wants to put the work in is another question. To be fair his attitude and application is night and day compared to Colak, he shouldn’t believe he deserves to start being half-fit

1 minute ago, The Specky Liar said:

Only thing I think that is poor from the club is them saying he could have a future here 

They have to to try and maximise what he sells for. Coming out and saying you don’t want him and can’t wait to get rid is only putting his value down more.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He only returned to training at the end of last month after 5 months out. Are we expecting him to be fit straight away?

You just need to look at Ryan Jack as an example, a guy who had a pre season and has still looked unfit.

If Morelos fitness has been an issue then he shouldn't be coming on in games, also I fail to see how him playing 10-20 minutes in competitive football is better than playing 90 in a bounce game for his fitness, touch and sharpness.

Why not just keep him on the bench?

I don't think we do expect that, but his fitness and progress will be measured internally by the club. I don't really agree about the 90minute friendlies being better than 10-20mins, pros will always tell you that there's no subtitute for actual competitive game time. (Though I'd argue he should be doing both tbh!)

I reckon the manager is thinking we can't keep him on the bench after something like Saturday because he has to set an example. We've had an influx of new players and the dressing room dynamic will be changing. Maybe it's easier to brush it off if it happens with a squad full of players who've known him for years. That's starting to change, and Tav's reaction speaks volumes too.

For me, these seem the most logical reasons as to why the manager has done this. Because nobody willingly boots their talisman out on the eve of a massive fixture, without good reason.