Is It Time For A New Captain ?

BlueboyG

8 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

They were talking on Open Goal about him being moved in to midfield, which might not be the worst idea as he gets older. He rarely makes any runs from deep these days anyway. 

Fuck same. Had the same discussion years ago  about sticking hodson behind him.

I said before 55 that we'd never win a title with Tav as captain.

Was wrong but the situation with Covid made things different.

He's a shite captain. He's a good guy and probably a big personality in the dressing room.

The type of captain that is more of a positive personality around the group as opposed to one youd go to the trenches with and will put the fear into you.

If you want a captain that has a special handshake for you then Tavs the man.

He doesnt give himself the armband though and hes been the captain under 6 or so managers...

1 hour ago, holdnudgehold said:

Will be interesting. I wonder if he has a gauge of the fans feelings on this. Think he's nothing to lose by changing it up and would get a positive response. I'm not a tav hater but the over reliance on certain players we've had for years just has to stop.

Do you think ? I dont have a problem if he does change it , but I'm not sure you make these big decisions the minute you walk in the door in case it alienates some of the squad .

23 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

id guess he would/base base who gets the armband on what he sees in training this week?

It can’t be tav anyway, clement needs to make a statement, and honestly we need to fuck tav off next summer.. I’m done with him 

I agree we need a new captain and would be looking to move tav and the rest of the Gerrard era players on. Time is up there. 

The only issue is don't really see anyone in the current team I'd say is a standout for the Captaincy. 

Manager will hopefully see someone that stands out. 

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Do you think ? I dont have a problem if he does change it , but I'm not sure you make these big decisions the minute you walk in the door in case it alienates some of the squad .

I get your point and there's always a risk, but again if he's taken a gauge of the fans feelings as I said I think it's time to start ripping up the old habits.

47 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I agree we need a new captain and would be looking to move tav and the rest of the Gerrard era players on. Time is up there. 

The only issue is don't really see anyone in the current team I'd say is a standout for the Captaincy. 

Manager will hopefully see someone that stands out. 

He's not going to bin Tav as it would rock the boat to much but Buttland all day long for captain. 

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

He continually said “for now”. Weird stick to beat the manager with that he hasn’t changed captain the first day he’s in the job. 

This. Mental that anyone would expect him to change it immediately if at all.

10 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Warburton and Gerrard both won us a league. Gerrard got us to a Euro final -  not exactly failure, is it?

Warburton failed. 

Gerrard failed. 

Gio failed. 

Beale failed. 

If you're classing any of them a success you need help.