John Souttar

On 21/06/2023 at 22:37, Loyal72 said:

If you're needing to swap nationality to get international caps, it would suggest that you're a bit off being good enough for whatever nation you currently represented.

Which to me would suggest those players are probably just trying to get more noticed.

McTominay must be of the mind that caps for Scotland will get him a move to a bigger club than Man U then? 😂 

14 hours ago, 285miles said:

Souttar looks like a no nonsense workmanlike centre half who can do a job for us and impressed in the run he had in the side at the end of last season

Disappointed to see that twitter post wanting him moved out - he gets pass marks so far

Not sure how you can describe Souttar as no nonsense and workmanlike. If anything what has surprised me is how much of a ball playing centre half he is. He has shown us several times that he can ping an accurate 50 yard diagonal pass and he has also stepped out of the defence with the ball in to midfield a few times driving the team forward. He even did the latter in his last Scotland game having just came off the bench almost setting up Nisbet.

Appreciate your over all post is positive about him but it was the no nonsense workmanlike bit I disagreed with. No nonsense and workmanlike would have blootered the ball away after receiving Jack's awful pass back to him in the OF game instead up under-hitting a difficult pass back to an immobile goal keeper. 

To state the obvious keeping him fit is key as the boy has had awful luck with injuries for years and hopefully he can show that he's a better player than most of thought when he was signed. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Must admit a never thought he would make it with us , but if he stays injury free hes getting better each time he plays. I know he had a slip last week but what one of our CBs dont. Today he was absolutely superb.

Dont think ability has ever been in question with him, the big question is how his fitness holds up.

I still panic that at any moment he could go down and miss the rest of the season.

Brilliant today and his intervention on that Livi cross at 1-0 was as good as a goal. 

Also gives us a great dimension when he steps out of defence with the ball. 

There will always be injury concerns but he’s looking very much at home at our level. I think we’re approaching the point where we can call him a good signing. 

A defender who's first thought is to defend, whoddathunk it.  Though, in some respects, that does him a disservice as he does step forward when he can. Solid and was great today, likewise, Balogun was in cruise control today too; they are more then enough at CB for our league.