Is Butland’s form becoming a problem?

• graeme_4 changed the title to Is Butland’s form becoming a problem?
1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Probably low(er) down the list of massive issues we have as a club, and probably as a team - but he’s been on a horrible run of form recently.

Loads of ‘should do better’ ones, along with a couple of howlers, and his distribution / command of his box seems to have disappeared too.

I understand no one is likely to be on the level of guys I grew up watching (Goram, Klos, McGregor etc) but his form is absolutely nose diving. 

Should have kept out the first goal on Tues and nearly gifted them another with horrible distribution. 

Think it's partly how easy we are cut open too, McGregor had some howlers in his time too. Maybe something to think about but I'm not overly concerned at the moment. Cause he has still made some cracking saves this season.

Lol, if we were a competently run club, this might register (and I’d argue selling Butland this window/next would be good business). 

But currently we’re starting games with Scott Wright, Tom Lawrence, Souttar, Tav, Dessers, McAusland (who I like).

We seemingly have no fit back up strikers, no fit wingers, nobody as backup if either of our CMs get injured, no backup CAM, no backup fullbacks, whilst still being massively over our wage budget with no money to bring on players. 

We’ve got much bigger issues…

I think he is a good keeper but that is all. His form has dipped but is he second guessing what our defenders will do as he has little confidence in them and it is effecting his performances?

36 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Probably low(er) down the list of massive issues we have as a club, and probably as a team - but he’s been on a horrible run of form recently.

Loads of ‘should do better’ ones, along with a couple of howlers, and his distribution / command of his box seems to have disappeared too.

I understand no one is likely to be on the level of guys I grew up watching (Goram, Klos, McGregor etc) but his form is absolutely nose diving. 

Should have kept out the first goal on Tues and nearly gifted them another with horrible distribution. 

Disagree about the first goal mate. I think he was a bit unsighted and the fact that the twat Lawrence jumps up instead of trying to block the shot played into it imo. 

Balls hit low to his left side appear to be a weakness. Even on Propper's own goal, I thought he could have reacted a split second faster. Also, the ball at his feet is not the greatest.

Perhaps I'm looking for something because I don't think we could replace him with a better option.

1 hour ago, SkylineBlue said:

A non-existent midfield and utterly garbage defence won't be helping, but we should be actively trying to sell him whilst he still has some value. 

So add a shite replacement goalie into that and bobs your uncle 

Hasn’t been the same since March but still doesn’t even register on our list of problems 

If someone did put a high bid in for him we should be selling, it’s more important domestically for us to have better outfield players than a great keeper 

Would seriously consider moving him on if we got a substantial bid. Suspect he might go in a year anyway Tbh - and not for the type of fee we'd get right now.

Take into account he was seeking assurances from the board, and that we seem on course for all timer of a shite season, I could see him heading off to the championship or abroad.

That's without mentioning that he has had a dip in form since march.

I was thinking maybe a large part of the problem is the way supporters get on players and managers backs so quickly. Clement and Tavernier having gone from honeymoon to clueless disasters, and now Butland...

Sure we have some major inconsistencies and players who seem injury prone but hey, easier to have an injury than to keep fighting for a support who abuse you! A quality keeper like Butland is a major asset for any competitive team.