*****The Official Malmo FF v Rangers thread*****

MisterC

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

anyone who thinks Helander had a bad game is fucking clueless man

Connor Goldson was an absolute bombscare next to him

I didn't even think Goldson was that bad tbh but agree about Helander. The big Swede is far and away our best dedender. 

Tav let us down for the 2 goals as well  

40 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

Turning on Kent after 1 performance, get a grip 

He didn't have a good game, thats for sure, but he didn't chuck it.

If some of the other players had his attitude then we may have got a more positive result.

Our central defenders looked as if they only met in the warm up.

3 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We area better team... By a big distance. We will never play as bad as that again and if we do our job we will turn them over. 

This really gives me mid to late 90s vibes 😩😜

I made a post sometime last season where I said it wouldn’t surprise me if we won the league but effed up the CL qualifier.

I think we can do it but we need to be 20% better all over and take a fucking shot more than twice a half.

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We area better team... By a big distance. We will never play as bad as that again and if we do our job we will turn them over. 

Im not saying we arent a better team - we are. But they are no mugs.. they play to their strenghts. They kept us out of the trough for most of the game and did it with ease, really. They arent pish, they arent great either.. but they arent pish. Most of us thought that the team we put out was enough - including me, but ultimately it wasnt. We seriously need to up our game for next week and the Management have a huge week ahead of them. They need to find a way to beat their tactics.. the tactics that nullified our game and players. Its as simple as that. Im sure the returning players will make it easier for them. Lets hope its glorious next week!!

1 minute ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

You said Aribo can’t play in centre midfield I gave you an example that proves otherwise!

So you think he's up to the standard we need in midfield next week based on his performances from there against who exactly? St Mirren, Dundee United? 

What big game has Gerrard trusted him to play in midfield where he's made his mark on the game? Genuinely. 

Just now, DerekJohnstone said:

Can't see Gerrard throwing in Alfie next week, he'll be well off the pace and probably get sent off cos of that.

It’s not like he’s been on Holiday for 6 weeks he’s been training every day with a decent level of player with Colombia. So he should be in decent shape physically just lacking in match fitness; which hopefully he will get st the weekend to prepare him for Malmö.

Just now, johanhentze said:

Im not saying we arent a better team - we are. But they are no mugs.. they play to their strenghts. They kept us out of the trough for most of the game and did it with ease, really. They arent pish, they arent great either.. but they arent pish. Most of us thought that the team we put out was enough - including me, but ultimately it wasnt. We seriously need to up our game for next week and the Management have a huge week ahead of them. They need to find a way to beat their tactics.. the tactics that nullified our game and players. Its as simple as that. Im sure the returning players will make it easier for them. Lets hope its glorious next week!!

For sure. Malmo, like many other Scandi teams play with a very specific, technical style and a great team spirit. They showed tonight if we weren't on it, they'd make us pay.

Just now, DerekJohnstone said:

Can't see Gerrard throwing in Alfie next week, he'll be well off the pace and probably get sent off cos of that.

This is why id like to see Sakala. Itten done ok in the first half but if Sakala was on when we broke away in the first half, could've been a different story.  Sakal can also play out wide. altho i expect Malmo to sit deep, very deep. 

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

So you think he's up to the standard we need in midfield next week based on his performances from there against who exactly? St Mirren, Dundee United? 

What big game has Gerrard trusted him to play in midfield where he's made his mark on the game? Genuinely. 

I’ll tell you one thing for certain Aribo has never put in a performance in CM as bad as Arfield or Lundstram did this evening.

Im not saying he’s the finished article or that he hasn’t got to improve. He came back from his injury and he wasn’t the same player for ages but he’s played the vast majority of his career at CM and the idea on here that he can’t play there is bizarre.

5 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Folk thinking the Swedish champions, well up and running in their season, is an easy draw :hmmm:

A team we should feel confident of beating, yeah. A team we should be favourites against, yeah - but nobody in the wider football world (ie not wearing blue specs) would see it as too big of a shock if they put us out.

Honestly delighted we came away with that goal, I felt like we had won the game after it. 

Malmo will surely be floored after that, we need to make it count next week. 

Still not changing my opinion on Lundstrums performance, one of the worst European debuts I’ve seen

27 minutes ago, chris182 said:

We do, we get €5m if we get thru to playoff and get knocked out. We also qualify automatically for the EL group stages. Worth €10m circa.

It's a huge tie this.

Okay, the 5m is a bonus I was unaware of, but the 10m is not really an issue.

We are guaranteed a spot in the Conference as it stands. Both the Conference and the EL pay about the same, there is not a massive difference. So regardless, that 10m or so is pretty assured.

The real benefit is the shot at the CL which does bring a different level of income altogether. 

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

For sure. Malmo, like many other Scandi teams play with a very specific, technical style and a great team spirit. They showed tonight if we weren't on it, they'd make us pay.

And that makes a good team. They arent blessed with cash, but they make the most of what they have. 

9 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Totally at ease after the first half and actually thought Goldson had a good half.  That couple of minutes totally threw us and could have been a total disaster but we hung on, pushed a bit at the end and got a bit bit of luck but we’re absolutely in this.

Another game under our belt Saturday and no travel for second leg.  Bring it.

I think the home tie may be a re-run of the 2-1 game against Motherwell last season.
A few folk have noted their body language changed after we scored.
With a two goal lead, they'd have been looking to sit deep and dictate the play next week.
Different proposition having just a single goal to defend.
And thank goodness the ball dropped to Davis.
Anyone else may have fluffed their lines.

3 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

It’s not like he’s been on Holiday for 6 weeks he’s been training every day with a decent level of player with Colombia. So he should be in decent shape physically just lacking in match fitness; which hopefully he will get st the weekend to prepare him for Malmö.

Having watched some of Colombias games, one wonders what exactly went on in those training sessions..

Just now, johanhentze said:

Having watched some of Colombias games, one wonders what exactly went on in those training sessions..

Yeah the games I watched looked terrible to be fair. Although Colombia did finish 3rd so they must have done something right.

Or maybe the quality of South American football has declined significantly.

3 minutes ago, Electric Soup said:

I think the home tie may be a re-run of the 2-1 game against Motherwell last season.
A few folk have noted their body language changed after we scored.
With a two goal lead, they'd have been looking to sit deep and dictate the play next week.
Different proposition having just a single goal to defend.
And thank goodness the ball dropped to Davis.
Anyone else may have fluffed their lines.

Davis is usually the last person you want in that position he’s shocking for shooting outside the box, he also got a lucky deflection or it wasn’t going in.

Either way a goals a goal and we’ll take it.

2 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

They may well have. My stream went down for a while.

My stats are from BBC site.

I am angry with our defending but we are still in it. They are not a very good side at all.

It wasn't the best of shots to be fair and Shagger dealt with it easily enough.

They were just a big bunch of physical bastards who kind of bullied us and upset any sort of rhythm we tried to get. Fair play to them, they played to their strengths and took their chances when they came but Davis' goal was crucial and keeps us in it.