Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

1 hour ago, JM1872 said:

Trying to look for the positives in the results mate. The reported loss of £23m  includes £10m of player registration amortisation which is an accounting entry and not a cash item. Therefore I’m more interested in the operating profit/loss before amortisation which was around £12m, higher than last year but it wasn’t a normal trading year by any stretch of the imagination. The results estimate that the impact on revenue was around £20m, and a negative impact on the net loss of around £10m. Furthermore, the net cash movement was £7m outflow, which would have looked significantly better had our main revenue stream not been impacted. Finally, it must be remembered the board have taken the following decisions:

- To continue to invest heavily in all areas of the club despite the pandemic.

- To not entertain any offers for our squad.

- To continue to recruit last summer and this summer - albeit free transfers in summer 2021 but there would still have been costs involved there.

Due to that, the board/investors must and will continue to prop the club up with loans etc, as at the moment we are not really financially viable for most banks etc etc. Over time I believe this will change and we will be less reliant on investor support on an annual basis. We have suffered a setback due to the pandemic but I don’t think we are a million miles away from break-even position in normal trading circumstances. There will be years where we need to sell to make profit etc, but the club’s internal forecasts appear to show that come the 2023/2024 season there will be very little if anything at all required in the way of investor support which I can kind of see through the results - though there are always a remarkable number of sensitive variables involved in financial forecasting.

We know from previous years that investment across the full business was accelerated - stadium improvements/maintenance which had been badly neglected in the past, training centre upgrades, playing squad developments etc. We now have a squad of significant value which has yet to be realised financially, but that will come. One big sale is all we have needed over the past 2 summers and we have chosen not to. Either nobody has approached, or we have knocked everything back depending on who you listen to, but either way I believe we will begin to see player trading having the desired effect. For that, I believe it’s important we get the next appointment correct as we need to have the right people in place to identify valuable targets with a sell-on value after a couple of years. Player development is key to operating a sustainable player trading model - and that must always be our key focus.

Excellent post and probably the most clearly explained , and positive,  assessment ive seen on it . Its been a difficult couple of days but your take on it is a bit more positive . 

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

Clubs statement is all about Gerrard and nothing about where we go from here

It's clearly been in the offing for days if not weeks, at least acknowledge the club need a new manager in pronto rather than gush over the manager who has just walked out ffs

As it should be. World will be told when there’s something to tell. 

Gives me extra football to watch and enjoy seeing him getting pumped every week hopefully.

Genuinely getting angrier by the minute, especially if he's had no contact with the players. Weird that I'm so angry cause I'm excited to get someone else in who might have us playing better than the pish he's delivered this season. Not long now until everyone else down south realises he's just a figurehead with nothing and Beale runs the show.

I’m not sad he’s gone, I reckon he’s run out of ideas, coupled with a cutback in investment. Time was probably right for all parties concerned, but the handling of this from his point of view has been a shambles.

I don’t bear him any ill will, but I don’t regard him as a great manager in our history. The achievements of last season are the players, he was just there to oversee.