Differences tonight

Born Sinner

5 minutes ago, shaka said:

As well as the change in Morelos, having a proper number 10 and wingers, I thought Kamara playing like a man possessed winning the ball all over the pitch really helped today.  He stopped so many potential counter attacks by winning the second ball or getting an important tackle in before they could even leave their own half.  If we can get a fully fit Jack in next to Kamara, I can see us being a very difficult team to create chances against.

bang on mate, fighter in there tonight. We have quality but were too passive this season. I want to see more of this.

52 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Playing with a no.10 makes a big difference and gives is an additional threat. 

That being said, I’m not sure we actually have anybody suited to play there. Aribo & Hagi have their strengths but not sure either have enough to really cement that position. 

Jack & Kamara as the 2 looks pretty exciting though. 

Hagi for many is the no 10 we have been crying out for .But for me he has just lacked the experience .

Who knows maybe even a change of manager willing to take a chance on him will be the best thing to happen to him so far .

For me that assist was even better than Morelos finish .

1 minute ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

bang on mate, fighter in there tonight. We have quality but were too passive this season. I want to see more of this.

I think it comes from the top (management). I believe, but obviously don't know, after 55 Gerrard etc were looking to get out. 

In any walk of life management wise. If management aren't interested/have a desire to fulfil objectives it filters down to staff. Complacency sets in. Which is why I think Morelos has went off the rails "allegedly" in his spare time. 

Standards and structures need set and if management aren't interested then staff (or certain players) in this instance think its a free for all. 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think Davis and Kamara would have been pretty happy to not be expending energy tracking back to cover the full backs all night too.

When you think about the Gerrard system in hindsight it’s all a bit overthought.

Wingers as ‘10s’, CF drops deep so the 10s get in the box, midfield spends more time covering fullbacks than anything else and fullbacks doing a ridiculous level of work as your wingers. 

3 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

When you think about the Gerrard system in hindsight it’s all a bit overthought.

Wingers as ‘10s’, CF drops deep so the 10s get in the box, midfield spends more time covering fullbacks than anything else and fullbacks doing a ridiculous level of work as your wingers. 

Play wingers as wingers, that's why they're called wingers. Get Kent bolting past players again. It will take a wee bit of time to get players out of "bad habits" so to speak but I think the new management team will implement it as quickly as they can. 

13 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

There was a clear-cut reaction from a few players to a new manager last night. Specifically, Morelos, Kamara & Barisic. There is no doubting this squads talents and we all new something was amiss. I get a feeling Gerrard is not missed in that dressing room and there is more to his departure than we will ever know.

I think one or two may miss him, but my overriding feeling is not many. Think they preferred Beale. 

I'll always be grateful for Stevie delivering 55 but deep down always thought there was a snide side to him. Don't know why, just a gut feeling I had. His wee smirk grated on me at times. 

Gio has a better demeanour Imo and having a good grasp of the English language and being well travelled may appeal to some of our players a bit more. Who knows. Like the cut of his jib though. 

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Totally agree. In the beginning, Gerrard was the perfect man to market around but it grew old. Morelos, Aribo and Kent are the stars not the manager. That will be the biggest difference with GVB in charge.

Plus if anyone had said years ago: If you want a manager/coaching staff, pick a country that you would want them from: Think Dutch would be in the top 3 (not English) followed or in amongst German, Italian/Spanish. 

If we have, or do get the coach from Ajax, what a coup that is. We move fwd and forget Gerrard. Thanks for the memories "Goodbye" 

It was the quickness of our play, we had the ball in the box within 10 seconds of the first whistle.

Rarely did a player run stop and play the ball back it was either picking a forward pass, a shot or cross. 

Midfield is taking less touches as well. 

I might be wrong but I don’t remember a cross into the box from Tav/Barasic (wide areas).  The ball seemed to come wide to feet from Hagi. 

also the corner, although we fucked it looked like a change- short corner then whipped in.  

I enjoyed the game and the 4-2-3-1 Morelos high up, Aribo in the no 10

Early days though 

25 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I might be wrong but I don’t remember a cross into the box from Tav/Barasic (wide areas).  The ball seemed to come wide to feet from Hagi. 

also the corner, although we fucked it looked like a change- short corner then whipped in.  

I enjoyed the game and the 4-2-3-1 Morelos high up, Aribo in the no 10

Early days though 

I remember Barasic had a few low crosses along the box and Tav skied one cross out for a goal kick. Apart from those moment it did seem to be that we weren't using them as much as usual to cross balls into the box.

Rather than bemoaning the fact Gerrard has gone surely the players must be revelling in the thought of playing in the manner we saw yesterday evening .

It was like night and day compared to the rest of this season.

Hopefully they’ll be fully invested in Gio now.

Morelos being told to stay high and bully people, Kent playing high and wide and a midfielder going beyond the striker. 3 very simple things that most of us were calling for.

Feel Roofe would score a barrel load of goals arriving from deep in the Aribo role last night, although in games where we're not necessarily going to have all of the ball you might need someone else in there.