Cedric Itten Recalled

eskbankloyal

7 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Got a feeling GVB does not rate Sakala so might be to come back and provide competition to Morelos.

He probably views Sakala the way most of the support does, hes not sure if he’s actually any good at football or not.

I feel like he scores some goals but they’re completely random 

8 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think he gets a clean slate and I think he will fit into the way we play a bit better than under Gerrard's system.

Hopefully he gets an opportunity and takes it.

Was thinking this too, very possible Gio will know how best to deploy him and make the most of him. I hope so. Saw his strike against Lech Poznan yesterday and it's a pure smasher

I like Itten but feels like a backwards step bringing him back. I would think that if Gio thought he needed more reinforcement up front he would be able to go out and get somebody. But it doesn’t do any harm to bring him in place of Defoe and injured Roofe. 

If we bring in Olsen, Doekhi and Souttar on top of it that (pre-contracts or not) will still be a great window. 

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

He probably views Sakala the way most of the support does, hes not sure if he’s actually any good at football or not.

I feel like he scores some goals but they’re completely random 

I think everyone is pretty honest in that Sakala hasn't got the best technical ability and that is normally a bit of a no-no with Dutch coaches.

Especially since they basically drum that into kids over there from 5 years old with the Coerver method / 10,000 touches thing.

9 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

You’ve got a feeling, well that’s cleared that up then.

Well since GVB has come in, Sakala's playing time has dropped quite a bit I think.

He also does not seem to be getting on even as a sub, with him tending to opt for Wright when making a change on the wings.

Hope things work out for Sakala as I think there is a player there and he looks genuinely delighted with every chance he gets, but as @.Williamson. says, it is still quite difficult to tell if he is any good or not!

I don’t think Itten is good enough for us, and has been a huge waste of money. 

But if the rumours of an early termination of Defoe’s contract, and Roofe being permanently injured then I suppose it makes sense.

Depends how much of his salary was being covered I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, Broxi said:

I like Itten but feels like a backwards step bringing him back. I would think that if Gio thought he needed more reinforcement up front he would be able to go out and get somebody. But it doesn’t do any harm to bring him in place of Defoe and injured Roofe. 

If we bring in Olsen, Doekhi and Souttar on top of it that (pre-contracts or not) will still be a great window. 

Makes sense to bring him back and have a look at him, before spending money on someone.

7 minutes ago, johanvanhentze said:

I think the way we played under Gerrard did Itten no favours. He was too far away from the goal. Maybe Gio thinks he can play to his strengths? Didnt he play with a tall/target man style striker with Feyenoord?

One of the things that did my head in was the team, and especially the midfield, not adapting to him when he came on.

He actually used to hold the ball up reasonably well but he would be looking for a midfielder to lay it off to and no one would be offering. They would just be expecting him to be doing the Alfie smash-it-out-wide-without-looking routine.

Hope I'm wrong but just can't see it with Itten. Don't think he's our level based on what I've seen (even including the flashes at Motherwell). 

Don't think he bullies well enough or scores enough to be effective for a big team as a solo striker.

Even if we play with out and out wingers and have him as a target man, I struggle to see him at the level of a peak Alfie, which is what we shld be looking to replace or better.

Sakala might be raw and unorthodox at times but I have higher hopes for his development, even if in one of the wide positions.