Is It Time For A New Captain ?

BlueboyG

I was at the Hamilton game before Covid when Gerrard was a baw hair from the sack and Tavernier was sauntering back that day when he lost the ball going forward, he absolutely chucked it then too.  I remember vividly saying to my brother about it that day and he has done the same in recent weeks. When chips are down, he hides like fuck, poor poor attitude. He’ll learn from it though. 

1 minute ago, Moody Blue said:

I was at the Hamilton game before Covid when Gerrard was a baw hair from the sack and Tavernier was sauntering back that day when he lost the ball going forward, he absolutely chucked it then too.  I remember vividly saying to my brother about it that day and he has done the same in recent weeks. When chips are down, he hides like fuck, poor poor attitude. He’ll learn from it though. 

He has played a clever game. Get to position where he takes the penalties. Set pieces etc.  

Makes his contribution look better.

Does not do the hard stuff like getting to the by line. 

There was a time I couldn't imagine a starting 11 without Tav being involved. Its now so bad I think it would be cruel on him to keep picking him let alone let him continue as captain. During his press conference he looked miles away and uninterested. Tonight's performance was as poor as it gets. Although Lundstram probably just pips him for the misplaced pass of the night award. 

No idea what Sterling is like but he should start Sunday and get a run of games. 

15 minutes ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

He has played a clever game. Get to position where he takes the penalties. Set pieces etc.  

Makes his contribution look better.

Does not do the hard stuff like getting to the by line. 

Great point, imagine his stats if he didn't take every dead ball.

Tackles won-0 

Headers won-0 

Completed passes 25%

Corners contributing to a goal- 3%

Defended missed tackles-82%

Lessons will be learned quotes-91%

Am I blagging it-100%

1 minute ago, DerekJohnstone said:

Great point, imagine his stats if he didn't take every dead ball.

Tackles won-0 

Headers won-0 

Completed passes 25%

Corners contributing to a goal- 3%

Defended missed tackles-82%

Lessons will be learned quotes-91%

Am I blagging it-100%

Yup. Flattered to deceive.

I don’t actually think, in the modern game, that the captaincy matters than much in the dressing room. I think it’s much more important to fans because it symbolises who is leading our club. 

On that basis alone, it’s worth stripping him of it even on a symbolic basis. Two trophies and a clear pattern of underachievement under his leadership, not to mention countless humiliations and unacceptable performances, mean it’s time for a change. 

I don’t think appointing a new captain does anything, or addresses our problems. But it’ll make a lot of fans feel better and frankly our happiness is more important than Tavernier’s feelings. 

1 hour ago, Bears r us said:

I hoped when 'Gerard' came he would change the captain, so you can imagine how long I have been wanting the arm band taken from him.

I said at the time no changing captain was Gerrard’s first mistake.

Needs to be the new managers first priority coming in the door imo.

I'd go as far as to say that instead of the traditional scarf above the head photo I'd like to see him standing over a crying Tavernier with the captains armband in his teeth photo.

36 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I’ve always said no, but now it’s a necessity. 

I think the captaincy role is totally overrated in Scotland.

I'd give it to someone else. Based on the fact that Tav is getting older and slower.  He should concentrate on his primary job.