*****The Official Rangers v Real Betis Match Thread*****

Jelavic18

Butland

Sterling, Goldson, Davies, Yilmaz

Cifuentes, Raskin, Lawrence

Sima, Roofe, Matondo.

I’d try Dropping Tav, as I just think the way we use him unbalances the team by expecting him to be our attacking threat. Then means our Right mid has to sit back and cover. Prefer to let Sterling just defend, and let Cifuentes and Sima provide our attacking options on right hand side. Hopefully allows Cifuentes to be more box to box as well.

Of course I do realise there is no way Beale will drop Tav. 

34 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

Butland

Sima, Roofe, Matondo.

I’d try Dropping Tav, as I just think the way we use him unbalances the team by expecting him to be our attacking threat. Then means our Right mid has to sit back and cover. Prefer to let Sterling just defend, and let Cifuentes and Sima provide our attacking options on right hand side. Hopefully allows Cifuentes to be more box to box as well.

Yilmaz isn’t in the euro squad- I feel this is mentioned on every page now. :lol:

6 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

Honestly think we should be looking to win this one, I think a home draw would be a bad result never mind a loss.

It’s probably winnable if we are at our absolute best but Betis finished 6th in La Liga and have players like Isco ffs.

Home draw wouldn’t be a bad result at all.

9 hours ago, SPWF said:

There’s zero evidence of what this team’s absolute best even is under Beale. Unless we’ve already seen it. Which means we’ve no chance. Genuinely dread watching us under this clown. 

He has to change rhings. But he will probably have us sit back with minimal pressing in the first half in which case we will be getting beat by half time. He will then wait until 60 mins to make any subs by which time it will be too late.

We have all worked out, so their manager certainly will have. 

11 hours ago, Davidorrp said:

Butland

Sima, Roofe, Matondo.

Yeah, let’s try dropping our top European scorer, and replace him with an untested boy. That’s what all sides do for their first group stage match 👍

In terms of the sides from the top 4 leagues that we've faced Betis are probably one of the worst, if not the worst. However we're in no shape to go and beat them.

Despite not rating Betis too much the way we attack wont hurt them at all and nothing from Saturday makes me think different. Betis don't score too many goals outside Iglesias who hasn't featured much so that will help a lot.

I don't think a tanking is on the cards based on the opponent but I'm certainly not going into this with any confidence that we can win due to our general record against teams from the top 4 leagues and the manager.

0-0

23 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

In terms of the sides from the top 4 leagues that we've faced Betis are probably one of the worst, if not the worst. However we're in no shape to go and beat them.

Despite not rating Betis too much the way we attack wont hurt them at all and nothing from Saturday makes me think different. Betis don't score too many goals outside Iglesias who hasn't featured much so that will help a lot.

I don't think a tanking is on the cards based on the opponent but I'm certainly not going into this with any confidence that we can win due to our general record against teams from the top 4 leagues and the manager.

0-0

Our record for a Scottish club in the last five years or so is excellent against top 4 league sides tbh

villareal drew twice

Leipzig lost away won at home

Dortmund won away drew at home

frankfurt draw lost on pks 

Liverpool lost twice 

Napoli lost twice, home game turned on the red card and refusal to award us a pk 

for that standard of side I’d say it’s not a bad set of results tbh 

12 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It’s probably winnable if we are at our absolute best but Betis finished 6th in La Liga and have players like Isco ffs.

Home draw wouldn’t be a bad result at all.

Isco’s barely kicked his own arse for the last year and a bit.

20 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Our record for a Scottish club in the last five years or so is excellent against top 4 league sides tbh

villareal drew twice

Liverpool lost twice 

Napoli lost twice, home game turned on the red card and refusal to award us a pk 

It's also 2 wins in 26 since beating Werder at home in 2008. In general we struggle to win at all against these teams because as you mention there is a standard difference.

For me this is a big a chance as any to beat a team from a league at that level. A draw like Villarreal or even going back to Fiorentina is a good result but 2/3 years ago I would be extremely confident about Thursday.

24 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

It's also 2 wins in 26 since beating Werder at home in 2008. In general we struggle to win at all against these teams because as you mention there is a standard difference.

For me this is a big a chance as any to beat a team from a league at that level. A draw like Villarreal or even going back to Fiorentina is a good result but 2/3 years ago I would be extremely confident about Thursday.

Even against Villarreal we had a goal chopped off and were down to 10 men.

in recent years last years champions league being the exception we’ve done ok against these sides 

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

in recent years last years champions league being the exception we’ve done ok against these sides 

If Dorrans had a better connection we would have won in Spain.

6 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I'm not trying to take anything away from those results. Villarreal was two magnificent results and performances as was Leipzig, Dortmund and Frankfurt (maybe not the end result v Frankfurt).

Typically, and the results show it, we dont beat these teams in a 90 minute game. Again not saying we should be regularly or that draws aren't a good result or that you need to beat them especially with how this group is. This to me is a good chance to get a win against a side from this level that we don't typically get.

1 minute ago, The Blues said:

I hope it’s not another Euro tanking. Up till 18 months ago we had an excellent reputation in Europe. 

Beale better have a go and not sit in and surrender the ball. We’re good enough to have a go. If Beale sits in and we lose again without having a go ? Beale night aswell pack his bags. The fans won’t have it. Fuck this sitting off and choosing our moments. Imo were good enough to have a go. High energy and tempo with ibrox rocking. 

2 hours ago, RFC55 said:

villareal drew twice

Liverpool lost twice 

And is there any evidence this current team can match that?