Welcome to Rangers, Philippe Clement!

See when a manager comes in and the way he speaks compared to how the players then implement what he says, you can see quickly if the manager has it or not.

I have tried explaining this with failing managers in the past. When folk are saying “he needs more time” or “he is getting the results” but you can just see it. When GVB was starting to fail you could see it wasn’t going to end well despite home being a club hero. And with Beale it was evident really quickly that he was never turning it around. 

Well now we have found a manager that you could just see it WAS going to work. I had a brief wobble with Clemente when he subbed Cantwell before half time. I thought “maybe this guy is too egotistical” but that subbing was the best thing that could have happened to Cantwell and as a message to the rest of the team.

From the next match he played Cantwell I knew we had a proper manager. You can just see it. The players respect him, they understand what he asks of them, they believe in what he is trying to do. I really hope he settles here because he could bring years of success to our club if we can hold on to him 

1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

See when a manager comes in and the way he speaks compared to how the players then implement what he says, you can see quickly if the manager has it or not.

I have tried explaining this with failing managers in the past. When folk are saying “he needs more time” or “he is getting the results” but you can just see it. When GVB was starting to fail you could see it wasn’t going to end well despite home being a club hero. And with Beale it was evident really quickly that he was never turning it around. 

Well now we have found a manager that you could just see it WAS going to work. I had a brief wobble with Clemente when he subbed Cantwell before half time. I thought “maybe this guy is too egotistical” but that subbing was the best thing that could have happened to Cantwell and as a message to the rest of the team.

From the next match he played Cantwell I knew we had a proper manager. You can just see it. The players respect him, they understand what he asks of them, they believe in what he is trying to do. I really hope he settles here because he could bring years of success to our club if we can hold on to him 

Cantwell deserved to be hooked off in that game he was terrible but he wasn't alone in that fact, Clement could have made a triple sub when taking Cantwell off we were that bad against Limassol. 

14 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Cantwell deserved to be hooked off in that game he was terrible but he wasn't alone in that fact, Clement could have made a triple sub when taking Cantwell off we were that bad against Limassol. 

Cantwell started the move that cost us the goal by cheaply losing the ball in the middle didn't he? He was awful that night

13 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

It gave Cantwell the kick up the arse he needed at that point. Clement seems like a very good "man manager" same as Sir Walter was. 

I'm not comparing them (As there is only one Walter Smith) but Clement has something about him aswell. 

3 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Cantwell started the move that cost us the goal by cheaply losing the ball in the middle didn't he? He was awful that night

He did. In fact he was terrible for the first few months of the season. I think it stemmed from that fraud Beale benching him the 1st game of the season that we lost to Kilmarnock. 

5 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

It gave Cantwell the kick up the arse he needed at that point. Clement seems like a very good "man manager" same as Sir Walter was. 

I'm not comparing them (As there is only one Walter Smith) but Clement has something about him aswell. 

He is certainly the first proper manager we have had since Walter.

13 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Good post.

I wobbled at that too, but it seems the relationship he has built with the players and how he has handled Cantwell in particular since then has been exactly what you’d want from a leader of men.

It’s difficult not to fall into a bit of hyperbole but Clement so far is everything we could ever wish for in a manager.

14 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Since gerrard came, the majority of the forum and probably the fanbase felt we over complicated scottish football, sometimes it worked, but not consistently enough when needed to win leagues and cups

Clement came in, took a game or two to essentially suss out scottish football, and massively simplified our game, wingers play on the wing, number tens float between the midfield and attack, fullbacks support the wingers and only go by them when the opportunity arises, centre mids command the middle

Its absolutely no surprise to see a lot of players looking fresher and sharper now they are playing their natural game and not two different games, lundstram is the prime example

:thumbup:

I would think it's not too early to now add Dessers to the list of looking fresher and sharper now.

🇬🇧

I hope we have him here long enough to fully reassemble the team with his players. The problem will always be the more success he has here makes him a strong candidate for an EPL team although it would have to be a top 6 side as I don’t think his head would be turned for less.

On 25/02/2024 at 00:03, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Since gerrard came, the majority of the forum and probably the fanbase felt we over complicated scottish football, sometimes it worked, but not consistently enough when needed to win leagues and cups

Clement came in, took a game or two to essentially suss out scottish football, and massively simplified our game, wingers play on the wing, number tens float between the midfield and attack, fullbacks support the wingers and only go by them when the opportunity arises, centre mids command the middle

Its absolutely no surprise to see a lot of players looking fresher and sharper now they are playing their natural game and not two different games, lundstram is the prime example

Good analysis 

He's also introduced far more variety into our attacking play.  We used to be very predictable but we now vary things a lot more with long balls over the top, shots from distance etc.  I still think our wingers cut in too much, but that's a modern trend with so many wide players playing on the "wrong side"

22 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Clearing the decks will be just as important. We have alot of deadwood. 

As a result of his turning around some players, we have less "dead wood" than we did under Beale.

The clamour to move on Ridvan and Dessers has gone, people were saying Cantwell should be sold, Souttar not being good enough, coupled with Lundstrum's upturn on form.

Once the out of contract lads are away; Borna, Roofe, Jack, McLaughlin, Balogun(though I feel he might extend), we don't actually have the problem it looked like we did back in October.

Lammers, Wright, Davis and Matondo.... that's about it.

8 minutes ago, toolongawake said:

As a result of his turning around some players, we have less "dead wood" than we did under Beale.

The clamour to move on Ridvan and Dessers has gone, people were saying Cantwell should be sold, Souttar not being good enough, coupled with Lundstrum's upturn on form.

Once the out of contract lads are away; Borna, Roofe, Jack, McLaughlin, Balogun(though I feel he might extend), we don't actually have the problem it looked like we did back in October.

Lammers, Wright, Davis and Matondo.... that's about it.

I think he will give Jack and Balogun another year.

2 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

I think he will give Jack and Balogun another year.

He is never giving Jack another year in a month of Sundays. Not when Diomande comes in permanent. We'd be more inclined to get another Scottish player in or promote someone up. Jack has been MIA for too long and simply isn't reliable in the slightest. I think Barron fits the profile but wither or not that happens who knows. It's clear the manager has guys he feels he can trust. That's why Balogun came back into the team when he arrived. It's why Lundstram will get a new deal too. 

8 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Not a chance should Jack get another year. The only new deal should be Lundstram.

Correct. Ryan Jack has been a great servant to the club when hes been fit and can leave knowing he has contributed to some great times but its done for him now. There is no way Clement is giving a contract to a player who might only be available for 30% of games. A waste of resources unless he was willing to sign a deal on a fraction of his current wage, which he wont do.

23 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Good post.

I wobbled at that too, but it seems the relationship he has built with the players and how he has handled Cantwell in particular since then has been exactly what you’d want from a leader of men.

It’s difficult not to fall into a bit of hyperbole but Clement so far is everything we could ever wish for in a manager.

He hasnt put a foot wrong in that regard, even when he hooked Cantwell against Aris he handled it brilliantly. 

Tactically he makes things simple, but his man management is arguably his best asset from what I’ve read.

We could easily be in a situation where players like Cantwell could have downed tools because of being subbed early. Or had people like Wright, Davies etc not contributing because they were nearly out the door. 

There’s a unity here that hasn’t been there for a very long time. 

46 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Tactically he makes things simple, but his man management is arguably his best asset from what I’ve read.

We could easily be in a situation where players like Cantwell could have downed tools because of being subbed early. Or had people like Wright, Davies etc not contributing because they were nearly out the door. 

There’s a unity here that hasn’t been there for a very long time. 

Agree on the unity thing, but not convinced that either Davies or Wright has made a meaningful contribution 

6 minutes ago, Southsider said:

Agree on the unity thing, but not convinced that either Davies or Wright has made a meaningful contribution 

Not meaningful, but them and several others on the fringes e.g. Jack, Souttar, Barisic etc are given chances when appropriate and kept as part of things. 

A lot of managers would’ve frozen those players out and be burning out our current best 11-14 players, but Clements playing a very clever hand. He’s won league titles before at multiple clubs and knows how it works. 

6 hours ago, Southsider said:

Good analysis 

He's also introduced far more variety into our attacking play.  We used to be very predictable but we now vary things a lot more with long balls over the top, shots from distance etc.  I still think our wingers cut in too much, but that's a modern trend with so many wide players playing on the "wrong side"

This. We do play quite a few long balls over the top and it really unsettles teams. Most of the time we win the ball back high up the park because of it.