Ross McCausland

G.E.C.

Best of the front 4 for me today. He is an inexperienced lad making his way in the team.

In an ideal situation we would have a more experienced player ahead of him but we don’t ATM.

For me him and Yilmaz were the only two out there today who were willing to take the ball and drive at them consistently. It doesn’t always come off and can look bad when you lose possession but I’d rather have players who want to make something happen than guys who just want to keep it safe and choose a pass over trying to beat a man.

8 hours ago, Badger said:

Not sure what McCausland will do.

I can see him either clicking and going on to be a very good player or..... Ending up playing for somebody like Scunthorpe in 5yrs time.

I've seen enough to see his decision making is his big weakness, and at our level you're not getting away with making a poor choice 3 out of 4 times.

The baseline talent is there though. His biggest improvement is going to be between his ears.

Looks like he thinks he’s still playing under 18’s at times.

Mind you, Sima can look like that too.

For today, I thought Ross had sharpened up on his defensive aspects, compared  to the Betis game.

I suppose you’re not going to get it all at once…

Suffers from being the junior partner to Tav. Captain Fantastic is too busy covering for his big lump of wood pal at centre half meaning  mccausland has to drop deep to cover the runners. 

For me, tav needs a Candeias type to cover his flaws. When he disappers its leaving the boy exposed

16 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Suffers from being the junior partner to Tav. Captain Fantastic is too busy covering for his big lump of wood pal at centre half meaning  mccausland has to drop deep to cover the runners. 

For me, tav needs a Candeias type to cover his flaws. When he disappers its leaving the boy exposed

Mccausland has to do a defensive shift as well as attack as that's what the manager demands from both him and Sima.

Cracking mental gymnastics to blame Goldson, and Tav, for McCausland (at times poorly) doing what the manager wants.

Just now, OrangeRab said:

1 goal and 0 assists in almost 1000 minutes for us now.

We all want our young players to do well. But think some on here are kidding themselves that he’s good enough at the moment.

Should be back up to someone of quality whilst he develops his game and gets experience with minutes from the bench.

Yip

1 minute ago, theiconicman said:

I think we need to bring Shankland in as CF, Sima left, Fabio right and Cantwell behind. And I say that having been against Shankland but think we spend what we need.

If Clement is looking to convince the board why we must buy Shankland, he only needs to show them Dessers’ display.

I would have backed Shankland for at least two goals today in scenarios where Dessers completely fucked up and managed to run out of steam and ideas at the same time.

Pitiful is too kind.

I think what we’re seeing is that it’s too much too soon for him 

He has talent and as we’ve seen in his best performances he’s a great option off the bench but he doesn’t have it in him to be a starter yet 

He was somehow the best of the starting front three today though 

Just now, Colin Traive said:

If Clement is looking to convince the board why we must buy Shankland, he only needs to show them Dessers’ display.

I would have backed Shankland for at least two goals today in scenarios where Dessers completely fucked up and managed to run out of steam and ideas at the same time.

Pitiful is too kind.

The one where he was one on one with the scum defender and just kicked it off him was like peak fat Morelos levels of incompetent 

35 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

1 goal and 0 assists in almost 1000 minutes for us now.

We all want our young players to do well. But think some on here are kidding themselves that he’s good enough at the moment.

Should be back up to someone of quality whilst he develops his game and gets experience with minutes from the bench.

Obviously and I don’t think anybodys kidding themself on some just thinks he’s the best option for that position until we bring in the quality to replace him 

That quality might already be here in Silva need to wait and see how the gaffer uses him but he’s said he can play anywhere front 3 

He's been thrown in when he's not ready due to a lack of options.

He's not good enough to be starting for us just now but we don't have a right winger who is good enough to start. 

Stick with him, he's got something.

If we had a couple of competent right sided attackers we’d probably never see him.

He’s just an OK young player. Never been anything special and I don’t think he’ll ever be a difference maker.

He was fine yesterday, but right wing has to be a priority in Jan.

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

If we had a couple of competent right sided attackers we’d probably never see him.

He’s just an OK young player. Never been anything special and I don’t think he’ll ever be a difference maker.

He was fine yesterday, but right wing has to be a priority in Jan.

I think this is where I’m at. He isn’t blessed with great pace or physicality. So he doesn’t regularly beat his man on the outside to get his assists that way.

And he doesn’t have a great/powerful shot on him cutting inside like a Sima.

Nothing wrong with his control and movement. But at the moment he’s just a tidy player who is quite good at cutting inside initially.

But I don’t see where the goals and assists are going to come from.

If that was any other winger with those stats people would rightly be losing their shit.

We can’t afford to continue with one flank not contributing anything and having Tav bail us out game after game.