*****The Official Rangers v SL Benfica Thread*****

1 minute ago, Siam69 said:

Our Manager just said we need to be more decisive in the final third.

Think we were all screaming that tonight, from more than one player.

Yeah he knows. If Dessers is still here next season I'd be majorly surprised / borderline needing immediate help from Samaritans.

We've done well in Europe considering the mess he walked in to.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

There was plenty of fight.

I don't think you grasp how much on our arses we were. We started with Wright and Dessers because our main 3 wingers are injured and 2 of our attackers are injured. Our bench was made up of 4 attacking players who are literally just back from injuries who would have likely started.

I don't know what folk expect 

Not after we conceded, created nothing.

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Brilliant post. 

Yeah this - went toe to toe with a team with Di Maria and Otamendi and could’ve gone through - sure lots to learn but ultimately just impressed we did it, with that squad.  Easy to forget where we were earlier in the season! 

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

Dessers? He got fuck all service tonight. We all know he's not good enough especially at this level but stop looking to blame someone. 

As the main striker you are expected to lead the line and in big European games search out opportunities for yourself or hold up for others. Even Morelos at his worst done that. 

Dessers done none of that tonight. 

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

Dessers? He got fuck all service tonight. We all know he's not good enough especially at this level but stop looking to blame someone. 

Dessers and Silva at least. Wrong decisions, too slow at trying to get a shot off, trying to walk it in etc.

I thought 'more decisive' was very accurate for tonight.

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Manager was superb in what he has said in the postmatch presser. 

It's impossible to express my love for that guy. After some of the crap we have had as managers over the years and ones I just could not listen to at all, everything he says just sounds right. 

6 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

Dessers and Silva at least. Wrong decisions, too slow at trying to get a shot off, trying to walk it in etc.

I thought 'more decisive' was very accurate for tonight.

Spot on!! If dessers hits that shot in the 2nd half 1st time and it goes in it’s obviously a different game. 

There’s no blame to be attached to anyone tonight. There are players that are not quite good enough for this level, but they ran themselves into the ground for the full 90 minutes. Special mention to Souttar, Goldson and Lundstram as I thought they were excellent. We need to somehow get the three points on Sunday and then get a wee breather. No disgrace losing by one goal against a really good Benfica side although some of the comments on this thread would make you think we’d lost to Albion fuckin Rovers. Onwards and upwards now for the Famous. 

28 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Absolutely dire. Mental anyone thinks otherwise. 

Our best attacking player tonight. He may not be a world beater but he surprised me by how effective he was both defensively and going forward from the first whistle.

We are all disappointed but he's a weird one to choose for criticism mate. 

Personally I find it hard to pick out a player to criticise tonight but well aware some people need an individual to blame. Benfica are a decent side and it was very fine margins. Not criticising anyone. 

Reality is we are a team in desperate need of an Int’l break just to get some back up to fitness. We’ve been beaten by one goal against a team who have been in the QF of the Champions Lge the 2 seasons before this and now they’re in the QF of the EL and we’ve got folk spitting the dummy out.

As some have said, we were a million miles away from that just 5months ago so I’m delighted with the progress we’ve made. Just need one final push on Sunday and then hopefully PC has more to select from come end of month when they return. 

I am a Europa faithful, think it’s one of the real exciting parts of the season. However I’ll concede the thought of avoiding Roma, AC, Leverkusen or Liverpool is a relief given our stretched squad and tantalisingly close domestic front. With the chance to freeze the taigs out of the euro £ 

Pish.

Goldson and Souttar were both very good.

Subs should’ve been made before the goal, Cantwell and Matondo were fucking woeful when they came on, Matondo needs to play on the left if he ever plays. 

Dessers is fucking terrible, please can we just fuck him off.

Benfica get pumped out next round as well.

Folk going on about the corners but it was one time they scored with a few feet between the player being offside or onside. It's not like it happened multiple times and each time we lost a goal. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.

Everyone tried their best tonight and gave a good showing. Some were off it and some weren't. We dust ourselves off and move on.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Pish.

Goldson and Souttar were both very good.

Subs should’ve been made before the goal, Cantwell and Matondo were fucking woeful when they came on, Matondo needs to play on the left if he ever plays. 

Dessers is fucking terrible, please can we just fuck him off.

Benfica get pumped out next round as well.

Summed up perfectly mate. 

13 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Yes but not due to lack of fight which was your words. That's complete nonsense 

Quality is the problem and we all knew it before the game. Our options are bare bones. It's incredible our manager got us to this point.

Proud as fuck tonight and anyone who isn't can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. 

Just that lack of quality up front for me. Sounds crazy because we were cut through a few times but I thought the back 4 were reallly decent, especially Soutter