Next manager : who is NOT a gamble?

Colin Traive

In the “five man shortlist” thread, umpteen names have been thrown in. Some are more realistic than others and some are never gonna happen.

But I keep seeing phrases like “too much of a gamble” and “not what we need”

Surely every appointment is a gamble? Palace appointing FdB didn’t pay off, Killie recruiting Clarke did. Who knew that one would do so well and one would do so poorly?

We have to accept that our next appointment, whoever it is, WILL be a gamble because there are NO guarantees. All we can do is consider each contender’s experience and abilities in coaching, recruitment, developing youngsters, getting more out of certain players etc and how close is his experience to the environment he’ll be working in at Ibrox. Then we hope we got it right.

The only non-gamble I can think of is Walter and he’s done his bit for us. So who would be the least risky option?

Even after all this time I'm still not sure who I want, someone that's tough on the players and no messing about, see to be truthful, I'm saying this as the last few years are making me doubt whoever we bring in. 

My confidence is gone in anything that happens with us, I do always stay positive but it's constant failure with us just now, even a top coach would want money and have we got that, not to the extent that these type managers would expect to spend.

So yet again we are saying we need to, or the board need to get this correct, do I have faith in that happening, for our sake I hope so.

Something about MPH just doesn't sit right with me. Looking at him he doesn't look like the type of guy who will command respect and put the fear into these players and demand instant respect.

Which is what we need rather than some master tactician (which his record points to)

Think we need a certain character to take us forward. Don't think he's close to being it.

Definitely not Warnock, Mcinnes or Davies. All three are cunts.

Neil, Neilson and Potter aren't of the calibre required.

Clarke probably guarantees a clear second by virtue of grinding out wins but I'm far from convinced he's capable of overcoming celtic.

Preudhomme I know nothing about other than I remember him being a good goalkeeper.

De Boer is probably the riskiest but also highest reward if it went well. He's the only name linked who is on a similar level to Rodgers who has had a similar or better level of success, who has worked with a similar calibre of players in Ericksen etc. to Rodgers, and who I could envisage if both us and celtic were in for player that would be a draw to come us vs them.

De Boer for me is the best and most exciting option of anyone linked, but there is no outstanding candidate. 

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Something about MPH just doesn't sit right with me. Looking at him he doesn't look like the type of guy who will command respect and put the fear into these players and demand instant respect.

Which is what we need rather than some master tactician (which his record points to)

Think we need a certain character to take us forward. Don't think he's close to being it.

Tbf. When he first approached us I’d never heard of him. I have since read a lot about him and he portrays as a very strong resilient character that commands huge respect, he’s knowledgeable and astute  

His teams have consistently done well cups leagues etc and I feel he will be good for us. 

But each to their own I suppose 

5 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Walter / John Greig and I'd even ask Souness.

No I do not want any of them as manager but can you think of a better interview panel?   Our board has proven to be a joke MW/PC and Murty were all royal clusterfucks.  So why not think outside the box and have an advisory panel select the next manager.  Do not leave it to clowns like Robertson 

I think it was an advisory panel and Robertson led it!

53 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

But I keep seeing phrases like “too much of a gamble” and “not what we need”

Surely every appointment is a gamble? Palace appointing FdB didn’t pay off, Killie recruiting Clarke did. Who knew that one would do so well and one would do so poorly?

Appointing a manager is not an exact science.  No matter what name is thrown in the ring negatives will be dredged up.  Some appointments, however, represent more risk than others.  I like Steve Clarke because he's currently having success in the league we're expected to perform in.  Appointing Graham Potter sounds more risky to me because he's only managed in Scandinavia bit like Ronny Delia prior to his appointment at celtic.