CLUB 1872 statement on the fanzone

jintybear

33 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

The plot thickens.....

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16993916.Rangers-fan-zone-row-city-councillor-tells-glasgow-life-political-pressure-was-applied/

Rangers fan zone row: City councillor tells Glasgow Life political pressure WAS applied.

POLITICAL pressure was applied to block plans for a proposed Rangers fan zone, emails released by Glasgow City Council have confirmed.

The Ibrox club’s bid to use a community complex opposite the ground for a fan zone was blocked on August 2, just 10 days before the first was due to be held after Glasgow Life ruled the club did not have sufficient community backing. 

City chiefs released a huge cache of conversations between councillors, club bosses and Glasgow Life earlier this week in response to calls for transparency, although names were redacted. 

And we can reveal that on June 25 this year, a city councillor contacted Glasgow Life, claiming to be under “political pressure” to oppose the use of the Ibrox Football Complex for four pilot fan zones.

The following day, in an email from a councillor named “David” to Glasgow Life, it was claimed at least three of the four Govan members opposed the fan zone – which has since been denied.

In another email exchange on July 2, a councillor demanded answers from colleagues, insisting that if the fan zone plan went to the licensing committee, it would likely be approved.

And in a further note, sent from a Glasgow City Council email address, it was suggested members of the Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council should give their view on the fan zone in a private meeting or over the phone, instead of at their public meeting in August.

Rangers were initially granted an “occasional licence” on June 15 this year, in an email to Glasgow Life 10 days later, a city councillor said: “I’m getting a lot of political pressure from local members to oppose the use of the Ibrox Complex for these ‘fan zone’ events…"

But while Stephen Dornan objected and John Kane supported Rangers’ plans, Ricky Bell and Allan Young have both since denied being in outright opposition.

The revelations come as it emerged an SNPcouncillor has been accused of antagonising Rangers and Glasgow Life representatives during key talks over the proposed Ibrox fan zone.

Stephen Dornan, who has openly opposed Rangers’ plans to use the Ibrox Football Complex, was branded “offensive” over his behaviour at a community council meeting in July.

It comes amid claims that in June, the community council formally objected to the fan zone proposals without a debate, following a suggestion by Mr Dornan.

And in a hastily arranged poll, taken in private during a tea break at a meeting in August, community councillors voted 4-3 in favour of upholding an objection to the plans – which was key to Glasgow Life’s withdrawal of the licence.

Labour councillor John Kane said: “This boiled up at the meeting in June where one elected member suggested the community council should oppose. There was no great discussion on it and it was right at the end of the meeting. The community council then put in an objection.

“After the first objection went through I organised to have people from Rangers and Glasgow Life talk about the plans at a meeting of the community council.

“I thought the attitude of one elected member was incredibly antagonistic. I felt that member was unfairly rubbishing Rangers’ contribution to the community.”

Those claims were backed by a source who attended the July meeting.

The source said: “Mr Dornan was antagonistic towards the Rangers representatives, but he was particularly offensive towards a young officer who was representing Glasgow Life. His behaviour was awful.”

Mr Dornan was the only Glasgow City councillor to lodge an official objection to the fan zone plan.

Mr Dornan did not respond to requests for comment.

Unbelievable.  Surely something will be done about this? It's a total joke that this has happened but yet we still have "supporters" sticking up for these corrupt people running our country.

30 minutes ago, Pure_Quality said:

Most people who look at this objectively can only come to the conclusion there are elected members at both community and local council level in Glasgow who are actively trying to damage Rangers due to their own personal, political or religious beliefs.

I think we all thought this kind of thing happened but to see it laid bare, in black and white, what potential damage insignificant politicians at local level can do is quite something.

It's also frightening to think what people with similar beliefs who are/were in senior positions in the UK government or, for example, HMRC, could have influenced to try and damage us over the last 6/8/10 years. Would be good if this episode helped us to at least start to drain the swamp.

Nah, that's just your paranoia kicking in again.

Wasn’t he appointed to an SFA committee looking in to sectarianism? Sounds like the only looking he has to do is in his bathroom mirror... On a serious note this is the guy ‘in political power’who was happy to have his picture taken in front of an ‘IRA’ flag and has alleged on numerous occasions that he has been victimised by Rangers fans (no proof ever provided). Actually saddens and bemuses me how people like this can get in to and remain in public office...

Out of curiousity... and me being daft, maybe... how would a fan zone at Ibrox be of detriment to GCC, so much that they oppose that?

Or, how would a fanzone at Ibrox have any affect on the Taigs (which seems to be their love-in club).

Would it generate billions of pounds that would help us, hinder the taigs? 

Why is it that people of a certain persuasion cannot do their jobs in a fair and balanced manner but 99 times out if 100 will let their personal prejudice lead the way. 

From councillors to media it is pathetic. 

On 17/10/2018 at 10:24, markem said:

You know something I don’t disagree with that however there for me is a major problem throughout that entire party. Their approach is combatative, not to influence  and gain support.  

If you don’t agree with the ‘foot soilders’ (think about that - sound like courting?) you’re a coward, if they see a flag they don’t like, they rip it down - again I am broad brushing but in my experience the vast majority of yes voters want to tell me I’m wrong, and are aggressive in their approach  

Theirs is a militant approach and I honeslty believe it’s a big mistake on their part - long may it continue. 

Matches what I've encountered from yessers on more than one occasion, even being called a cunt by an snp activist outside my local polling station when I refused the snp/yes leaflet I was offered.

23 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

Out of curiousity... and me being daft, maybe... how would a fan zone at Ibrox be of detriment to GCC, so much that they oppose that?

Or, how would a fanzone at Ibrox have any affect on the Taigs (which seems to be their love-in club).

Would it generate billions of pounds that would help us, hinder the taigs? 

One argument is that it prevents the local community from using the facility. Ignoring the fact that the club (part of the community!) is one of the key customers and spends fortunes for training academy hires. 

Anything they can do to help that club and hinder ours is viable. 

It's an additional revenue stream (likely not a huge amount initially) but any blue pound spent into our coffers is better than mcds, burger vans, boozers etc. And it's about improving the matchday experience which going forward will look to have fans spend more money before and after games, including additional merchandise stalls etc. Man city have an excellent established set up that rakes money in. Any barriers they can put in place to prevent this is what they want.