Defoe's future at Ibrox

Sutton has suggested that former West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur striker Defoe may not be happy warming the substitutes’ bench at Rangers.

The 36-year-old joined Steven Gerrard’s side on an 18-month loan deal from Bournemouth in the Premier League in the January transfer window.

The Englishman has made four starts and four substitute appearances in the Scottish Premiership for Rangers, scoring five goals in the process, according to WhoScored.

Defoe also has made one start and one substitute appearance in the Scottish Cup for the Gers, according to WhoScored.

Sutton wrote in The Daily Record: “Dave King backed his manager big with a huge overhaul. But the end of this season may well see Alfredo Morelos leave and, with Jermain Defoe benchwarming in the main, why would he want to stay?”

https://amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/16/chris-sutton-asks-a-question-of-jermain-defoes-Rangers-future/

Five goals isn't a bad record, didn't realise it was as many as that. Where else is he going to go, though? I think he'll probably be happy to stay at Ibrox. 

Sutton's trying to stir it - 'Dave King backed his manager big with a huge overhaul.'

“Dave King backed his manager big with a huge overhaul. But the end of this season may well see Alfredo Morelos leave and, with Jermain Defoe benchwarming in the main, why would he want to stay?”

If Alfredo leaves then defoe is next in line providing we don't buy any other strikers 😂

We need to find a way to make use of him. So far we have totally failed to implement him in to the team in my opinion. He isn't a Morelos who will hunt the ball down, hold up play, and create many of his own chances so we need to adapt to that when he comes on. So far we are nowhere near doing that.

Him and Kenny Miller up front next year, Lafferty as back up, with ever other current promising forward loaned out to hibernate in Scottish lower divisions.

Charlie Adam, Nicky Law (who ?) and Naismith in to bolster midfield, alongside 2 or 3 average loan players from England.

Broadfoot and Danny Wilson in at centre back, Couple of current Scottish Premier players/leg breakers to bolster defence.

Then we buy two or three players from the first diddy wee Khazakstani or Moldovian team we play in Europe who play a blinder against us.

Squad sorted.

Just now, IpswichGer said:

We need to find a way to make use of him. So far we have totally failed to implement him in to the team in my opinion. He isn't a Morelos who will hunt the ball down, hold up play, and create many of his own chances so we need to adapt to that when he comes on. So far we are nowhere near doing that.

We need an attacking midfielder that will supply him the opportunities. Sadly, I think that thick mongo windass would have been useful with scoring and supplying.

8 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Him and Kenny Miller up front next year, Lafferty as back up, with ever other current promising forward loaned out to hibernate in Scottish lower divisions.

Charlie Adam, Nicky Law (who ?) and Naismith in to bolster midfield, alongside 2 or 3 average loan players from England.

Broadfoot and Danny Wilson in at centre back, Couple of current Scottish Premier players/leg breakers to bolster defence.

Then we buy two or three players from the first diddy wee Khazakstani or Moldovian team we play in Europe who play a blinder against us.

Squad sorted.

Fuck it Bring back ejaria 

4 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

id let him go. 

I’m the same, he’s an expensive Cummings in the sense he needs to be played with someone else up front who can do his running for him. When he comes off the bench he does very little unless the team were against is leaving massive gaps which against the likes of Killie, Aberdeen, taigs, Hearts and Hibs they don’t. 

10 minutes ago, IpswichGer said:

We don't have anyone near creative enough in midfield that's able to supply him with pass after pass. Defoe knows how to finish, he just needs to be on the end of all the work that goes into grabbing that goal. 

You'd think Kent would be the one for that but he comes off extremely greedy and makes far too many poor decisions, he's like Windass but actually good. 

Makes little impact from the bench 

he’ll be 37 next season 

if Morelos does go we need SG’s marquee signing to be a striker 

Defoe wasn’t playing regularly recently at Bournemouth and was never brought to Rangers to be a first choice main striker that’s for sure 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Makes little impact from the bench 

he’ll be 37 next season 

if Morelos does go we need SG’s marquee signing to be a striker 

Defoe wasn’t playing regularly recently at Bournemouth and was never brought to Rangers to be a first choice main striker that’s for sure 

Find myself agreeing with you more often than not now Keyser. I don’t like it. 

I think a lot will depend on how many games he plays before the end of the season. I've no doubt he probably thought, and rightly so with his experience and scoring record, that he'd become a mainstay of the team by now. At the end of the day, he came here to play. If he's not going to get that, then I can't see him sticking around.

Morelos will be gone in the summer transfer market.    Maybe a change of approach will be needed for next season by trying to reduce the dependency on a single player contributing so many of the goals (he'll be gone so Morelos' goals won't be there next season).   Change of approach being that Defoe becomes more of the first choice starter but with someone playing alongside him.

Seems to me its highly unlikely the Club can find an instant replacement for Morelos in the transfer market, ie a player who slots into the first team and scores the amount of goals Morelos has scored.  That sort of instantly effective striker is what every club is looking for and in the market we are in that sort of player is not affordable.   It'd be some bit of transfer dealing / massively good luck to get an instantly effective ready made replacement for Morelos.    More goals are needed from other players and maybe a change of approach with Defoe plus a strike partner is what SG has in mind and then using the Morelos transfer money and any other transfer money generated to get the few marquee players SG referred to.    

29 minutes ago, The Monk said:

I swear nearly every headline I see on us it’s along the lines of “ex-celtic star gives his thoughts on Rangers/Gerrard/[insert player]” 😂

Sutton is the same as every other Tim from the paedodome,they live for Rangers.

29 minutes ago, The Monk said:

I swear nearly every headline I see on us it’s along the lines of “ex-celtic star gives his thoughts on Rangers/Gerrard/[insert player]” 😂

Correct, and in reality not one of us gives a single fuck about their slavering regurgitated shite.