British League

tommyw

15 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Big 6 seem hell bent on forcing some kind of change through. The playoff idea again, its clear the Americans just don't get it. There would be an uproar just as big as the Super League ideal if they pushed a World Series / Super Bowl type game for the Championship.

Us and them offer a marginal improvement in marketability and revenue generation... but again, I think that can't be relied upon. If clubs like Villa and Newcastle can be relegated so can we. A Rangers and celtic that aren't scrapping for titles but are scrapping for a Europa League spot, mid table or worse is not the money spinner people think it would be.

Reputational risk for the PL as well. Our fans and their fans would be in the papers every week.

Playoff system wouldn't take off. Supporters wouldn't take to it. 

Regarding your point about relegation; sure it could happen. It would all depend on how Rangers used their extra resource. 

Fans in the papers would definitely happen. The other side of Glasgow would be as welcome as the plague. 

3 minutes ago, East London Loyal said:

Obviously the SFA would be against it, but not the FAW or IFA. They wouldn't be included, it doesn't impact their leagues either. 

Now for me, it's a dangerous game for us down here adding a giant club in Rangers to the league. It hurts my clubs chances, because access to the league will give Rangers more resources. Other clubs that are traditionally on the periphery of challenging for the 1-6 spots could also be trying to swim upstream with other big club in the league. 

In terms of size, only Man United and Liverpool are bigger than Rangers. 

In an act of self-preservation, Rangers fans shouldn't and won't care about the impact of their inclusion in the league, neither about harming the pyramid they'd leave behind after how the club was treated in 2012. 

Sorry yeah, agree on the first par, it was more of a follow on from my previous about how I would only support something which was fair in terms of integrating the pyramids of all four home nations. Otherwise it's not a British League.

On your last par I don't agree. Scotland has just largely integrated Junior football into the pyramid for the first time. Some of those clubs are 'bigger' than clubs who have been in an elected Scottish League for 100 years. Not every club in then SFL, or in the now fully integrated pyramid kicked us while we were down, they deserve to dream too no matter how unrealistic it is.

The principle for me is that if we are to have a British League then Rathfriland Rangers should have as much theoretical opportunity to get to the top as Paget Rangers, Queens Park Rangers, Brora Rangers or Rangers FC.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Sorry yeah, agree on the first par, it was more of a follow on from my previous about how I would only support something which was fair in terms of integrating the pyramids of all four home nations. Otherwise it's not a British League.

On your last par I don't agree. Scotland has just largely integrated Junior football into the pyramid for the first time. Some of those clubs are 'bigger' than clubs who have been in an elected Scottish League for 100 years. Not every club in then SFL, or in the now fully integrated pyramid kicked us while we were down, they deserve to dream too no matter how unrealistic it is.

The principle for me is that if we are to have a British League then Rathfriland Rangers should have as much theoretical opportunity to get to the top as Paget Rangers, Queens Park Rangers, Brora Rangers or Rangers FC.

I'd like a fully integrated pyramid, but I'd be thinking of the away days. I have no idea how it would work, other than the lower the leagues you go, the more regional it becomes e.g., conference north and south. 

I fully take on your second point. 

Seems like the sun are making shite up yet again and their so called inside sources are their own writers. Making their own news. 

Only the most gullable in society think that newspaper reports honest facts. 

The irony of celic playing in a British leauge. Supporters with tricolours, an ira songsheet and the hate of everything English/unionist/protestant.

33 minutes ago, East London Loyal said:

I'd like a fully integrated pyramid, but I'd be thinking of the away days. I have no idea how it would work, other than the lower the leagues you go, the more regional it becomes e.g., conference north and south. 

I fully take on your second point. 

Full integration with cascading regionalised divisions down would be difficult but not impossible if you did it over a series of transition years.

The Scottish Challenge Cup provides something of a useful start for a yardstick on where the National League, SPFL League 1 and below, Welsh League and Irish League sit in relation to each other. You may have to have a sectional 80 team National League (like Spain's 2B), with ELO ranked inter-sectional play across 4 seasons of those teams. At the end of it you would have a relative ranking of the teams against each other and have placement based on points across those seasons. Or you could scrap that and just say that SPFL League 1, Welsh League, Irish League and National League all sit at the same level and it's 4 up 4 down into League 2, but that wouldn't really test relative strength.

Same for a Premiership and Championship - the big Welsh teams are already in the Championship, no need to factor that complication, but you could take the top 24 clubs in England across the previous 5 seasons and put them in a league with the ranked best 6 Scottish teams across 5 seasons and have a slowly diminishing league until its down to 20/18 whatever you want over a 4 year period. That's similar to what Argentina have done recently. Then the other 6 Scottish teams are in an enlarged Championship with the same principles. SPFL Championship teams split across League 1 and 2 under the same principles.

Million ways to cut the cake. Will take complicated math, time and effort to do it fairly. Not sure those transitional seasons at the top make it financially the type of thing Glazer et al want though :lol: 

Let's face it if by some miracle it was to happen then its going to be Rangers and Celtic into the English pyramid with either relegation back to Scotland or just leaving the SPFL structure altogether - it's not going to be done fairly.

9 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Play offs for the League title can fuck off - we aren't the US or Australia.

In two minds on this. Firstly I would only support this if there was full pyramid integration between Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales with some kind of transitional seasons to ensure integration is fair and teams find their relative level.

The problem is I don't think we would be able to compete regularly with the top 4/5 year on year consistently. It would mean significantly less title days, possibly not ever seeing one again in my lifetime. I genuinely like going home and away in Scotland, doing that week in week out from here to Southampton would likely mean missing out on many games a season.

On that last point, we’d still sell out our away allocation for every game due to all the RSCs up and down the country. Take your point though. 

Just now, Leeds_Bear said:

On that last point, we’d still sell out our away allocation for every game due to all the RSCs up and down the country. Take your point though. 

Yeah I mean from a purely selfish reason. In normal, non COVID times, I probably miss out on about 3/4 away domestic games a season. It’s mostly mid week games if I’ve got something big on at work and I can’t knock off early to get my RSC bus on time. I think the last game I couldn’t get a ticket was East Fife in the League Cup.

If we were playing down south as well I’d expect corporate and hospitality to really push for a bigger away ticket allocation.

Would bring fantastic income, better quality of player. Realistically we’d never seriously challenge for another title though.

I couldn’t really see us becoming serious contenders in that league unfortunately. 

Id still love to go for it though.

Not sure I’d want this tbh. 
The big clubs down there are miles ahead and, while we may eventually catch up, Rangers becoming mid table shite fighting to finish 7th is not for me.

I could see there being political reasons behind this though if they feel it integrates Scottish people more into British society.