Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

3 minutes ago, Billy1984 said:

Hopefully then, I think he’s the best fit having played for us, apparently plays good football and galvanised feyenoord into winning after years of nothing. Average spell in China but who knows what he had to work with there and I know absolutely nothing about the game over there. He’s obviously a risk in some ways but there’s literally nobody who doesn’t have at least some risk attached. 

Agreed the more look into it the more gio seems a good fit for us. He won 3 trophies in Holland 1 league feyenoord first in 18 years and 2 Dutch cups. The China spell is a worry but like you said no manager comes risk free.

Looked up to see what he played and his preference was a 4-3-3 normally, that would suit us. That's one of his 11s when he was at feyenoord.

127675.png

16 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

We need massive “MASSIVE” investment. That’s really it. 

No we don’t! We have the best squad in the league. A centre back and tightening up at the back and we’ll still win the league quite comfortably.

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The guy that finished 11th in China doesn't really tick the boxes either tbf 

What was his budget compared to the others? Where did that team finish the year before? Are they doing better now? Just curious what the circumstances were on the 11th place finish.

7 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Is the bit I've highlighted in bold right enough? A few years ago the scum spent double our wages. I knew we had caught up a bit and the scum had downsized but I never knew we had overtaken them in terms of player wages spend. 

It is from the season. 

5 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

As others have said, it’s a bit ridiculous that we didn’t sell even one of 5 or 6 players at a huge profit in the summer and reinvest in the squad. Having chosen not to, we certainly don’t need to add to the squad when all we really need to do is win all our games against diddy teams for the rest of the season

The offers just didn’t come in .Nobody would have been happy with 12m for Morelos .

2 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

We went unbeaten last season. The only time we’ve done it in any of our lives. Gerrard absolutely had some disasters and was verging on leaving pre-Covid. But the market we are operating it, all managers will have their flaws and have disasters. That’s the reality. What is also reality is that Gerrard transformed the club from a laughing stock that lost 4-0 & 5-0 to them within a fortnight to one that became Champions. 

Defend him all you like , he will always be a gutless rat bastard in my eyes..........

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

Would be a terrible mistake to bring Ferguson in 

I Agree but with him and Wouters being away from Scotland for so long i’d imagine there’ll be a Scottish coach in there.

Mccann working on RTV might suggest he’s liked at the club though.

3 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

The offers just didn’t come in .Nobody would have been happy with 12m for Morelos .

Whatever the reason, at a club like ours you don’t get to have a highly successful season, retain all of your best players then spend big again. Doesn’t work like that

39 minutes ago, Dave Whelan said:

Gio would be a disaster. When you go to China and it doesn’t work out, you don’t walk into a club like ours. 

we need someone to galvanise the club. A big personality 

Reading a few quotes from Gio he cited Covid difficulties disrupting things so wanted to return to see his family. At face value it doesn’t seem it was because he flopped. 

The team he was with were poor when he took over I think and just didn’t get the chance to turn them around.

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I Agree but with him and Wouters being away from Scotland for so long i’d imagine there’ll be a Scottish coach in there.

Mccann working on RTV might suggest he’s liked at the club though.

If it's gio. Definitely will see a Scottish coach coming in as part of the set-up. 

Mccann would be ideal as he's got excellent knowledge of the game here. 

Just now, tom1780 said:

The thing for us is going to be telling the new manager

You have a squad to work with with 0 budget

The club sells its self but surley any real quality manager would want to bring in his own players 

Aye for January.. but win the league and you’ve then got decent funds!