*****The Official Rangers vs Braga Thread*****

17 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

If the players can't get up for a game like this then they should be given their jotters. They'll never achieve a SF in Europe again in their careers I doubt. 

True, but these are, in the main, bang average players, who’ve been getting up for games for 3 or more years.

Just think of the good Rangers teams that have got dumped out of Europe at the first time of asking.

These guys have added about an extra season into the last 4 years, with all they’ve achieved.

There’s only so far you can push them & I think there’s a realisation that a good number will be away before so long.

You’re spot on about them never getting a better shot at a Euro semi final.

14 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I'd tend to agree and Borna in my eyes is a bit of a shite bag but even when he came on away to Braga he immediately took up advanced positions on the left which got us up the field. It's a tough one.

He definitely did aye and looked like he had something to prove today, bit like Diallo I wouldn't say never play him again but he's got much more to make up after that tarrier performance

He's 1 of the players i'd keep hold of tbh, I don't see us getting a big fee, he's not on ridiculous wages and it'll cost us more to get a good replacement in for him

Just don't think he's earned enough to start again in a big game again, not yet anyway.

17 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Agreed that the changes did help freshen us up a bit, its just whether you trust them in a massive 2 games and personally I dont, Borna especially.

I'd still have Bassey and Balogun in, if Balogun cant make it for some reason then id rather throw King in for a baptism of fire rather than Borna at LB and Bassey CB. 

He did alright today against St Mirren but he was rarely tested defensively and tbh he's got the heart of a mouse.

I agree that Gio needs to use the squad more but think Thursday more or less picks itself, probably just the RW slot whether you stick with Sakala or move Aribo out there and have Jack Lundstrum & Ramsey in midfield

Oh and to add, if Lundstrum doesnt make it i'd be more than happy with Davis, thought he was brilliant today

Think it will be key how the injury issues resolve (or not😳).

Famous last words here, but I don’t think Braga are in the business of scoring loads of goals (however good their general play looks & they do have some seriously skilled players).

So it’s on us to set the pace, hunt the early breakthrough, get the crowd onside & keep on the front foot throughout.

Great to see Roofe back with some reward & suggests there IS life without Alf.

Hope Balogun makes it & the last game and a half would see me put Borna ahead of Bassey.

There really should be no contest at LB, but we also know that the path is not always smooth for BB.

Calvin does his best, but when Borna is on it, they’re leagues apart in reality.

We just don’t feel we can rely on Borna & I’m glad I’m not in the position of having to make the call!

1 minute ago, HG5 said:

Think it will be key how the injury issues resolve (or not😳).

Famous last words here, but I don’t think Braga are in the business of scoring loads of goals (however good their general play looks & they do have some seriously skilled players).

So it’s on us to set the pace, hunt the early breakthrough, get the crowd onside & keep on the front foot throughout.

Great to see Roofe back with some reward & suggests there IS life without Alf.

Hope Balogun makes it & the last game and a half would see me put Borna ahead of Bassey.

There really should be no contest at LB, but we also know that the path is not always smooth for BB.

Calvin does his best, but when Borna is on it, they’re leagues apart in reality.

We just don’t feel we can rely on Borna & I’m glad I’m not in the position of having to make the call!

They are definitely not a high scoring team, their league form always shows that & I actually watched them play against 10 men a few weeks ago at home & they struggled big time

The Monaco result should be a shot in the arm for us though, they played really well and more than held their own in France, finishing with a 1-1 draw that took them through 3-1, they're no mugs. Seen comments all week about how they're a young side and might fall apart under the atmosphere, if anything they looked to enjoy it!

It's got the feeling of Malmo again for me, I don't think you'll find many fans expecting us to get put out on Thursday & that's when we seem to struggle. As you say get on the front foot and dominate the chances but again, that's not something we do under Gio, we sit back and play our way into matches & they can certainly hurt us

Few big calls for Gio to make, going into 7 days where he either shows he's got what it takes or falls very hard.

Only a handful of tickets left for this on our website. Ibrox will be rocking! 

I know we didn't cover ourselves in glory in the away leg but the home game should be a different story.

Roofe should be oozing confidence after his first hatrick for us the other day and the crowd will be our 12th man.

I'd play Borna at left back. Looks back on it and his pinpoint crossing will provide opportunities for Roofe. 

13 hours ago, superallysbears said:

I've had a seriously bad week and struggled a bit, I'm actually really getting excited now for Thursday, get through and were in a European semi final ffs, the results of late have been brutal but we can still pull something out the fire, bouncing Ibrox let's roar into the semi's.

I hope everything will be ok for you mate, stay strong whatever you're going through.

To go through we need to start with Borna. He can whip the balls in that Roofe will love and feed off. Bassey  probably reverts to a CB position which is not ideal but needs must.

The pace of Kent and Sakala will test their defense and I hope we start with both. Midfield is the problem for me. Have to wait and see who is fit and ready to go. Ideally I would like Aribo, Ramsay and Davis but if Lundstram makes it who knows.

Would love to see us go through in 90 mins but I suspect that extra time may be required. A European QF is never going to be easy.

Roofe can win this for us. He takes a few games to get up to speed after injury and now looks good. He has confidence and will convert decent chances but we must make chances for him.

I would have Barisic at LB. Bassey has done well but maybe time for a bit of a rest after his first season as a regular and Barisic has shown in the past that he can create pinpoint chances from left wing.

It is crucial he gets the team selection right for this one.

Ramsey must start. He isn't playing great but his late runs are creating chances. We are chasing the game.

Barisic must start so the question is who plays CH alongside Goldson and for me, it is Balogun.

Harsh on Bassey. We can't afford to concede a goal and that back four is the best chance at not conceding.

Big games are needed from Kent & Aribo.

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

To go through we need to start with Borna. He can whip the balls in that Roofe will love and feed off. Bassey  probably reverts to a CB position which is not ideal but needs must.

The pace of Kent and Sakala will test their defense and I hope we start with both. Midfield is the problem for me. Have to wait and see who is fit and ready to go. Ideally I would like Aribo, Ramsay and Davis but if Lundstram makes it who knows.

Would love to see us go through in 90 mins but I suspect that extra time may be required. A European QF is never going to be easy.

Sakala is fucking awful,wright did better than him yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Sakala is fucking awful,wright did better than him yesterday.

All about opinions. I still think that there is a player in Sakala whereas I feel that that Wright is a busted flush. Mind you knowing Gio he may start with Diallo out right.

All about opinions. I still think that there is a player in Sakala whereas I feel that that Wright is a busted flush. Mind you knowing Gio he may start with Diallo out right.

Kind of agree with you there mate. If Sakala wouldn’t be so rushed in his decision making he’d be a right handful. Also, he could wear defenders out with the amount of running he does. Just needs a bit more brainpower.  

I'm unsure about Sakala generally.

Wright's strength is running at players, he has no end product sadly. It made sense taking a punt on him because he seems a natural at gliding past players at times. Ultimately, he's not been able to improve his composure and decision making once he gets past his opponent.

5 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

Sakala is brutal. Hoping we can punt him in the summer 

If Aribo starts he really needs to turn up, he's certainly got the ability but goes missing too much in the big games. Not sure about him wide right either, I think I'd go Sakala or Wright starting wide right just for their directness. Aribo a good option to bring on.

8 hours ago, superallysbears said:

Don't worry mate just me being a bit ott, things could be whole lot worse 👍

Let’s hope mate. We could all be doing with a boost as, I’m sure the same with yourself and others, Rangers results either compound things or give us much needed morale in amongst all the other shit we go through in life :tu:

I know I could be doing with a result :lol: