Dessers

BigBearButt

He could easily have scored a good goal yesterday. If he puts one away every other game, he will have to do till we get better. I would be interested to know what the Boss really thinks of him long term.  Does he think that he can work with Dessers and improve him?  I mean, we must be some team if between Dessers and Lammers, we are somehow winning with 9 men on the park every game?  Don't think that is the case though.

He’s terrible. Awful first touch, can’t run in behind, can’t hold the ball up, most of the time he wrestles defenders for high balls and either commits a foul or doesn’t even jump to compete for a header, can’t get the ball under control, doesn’t link up play very well, fairly stagnant movement… I’m not sure if there are any positives. 

After the last couple of games you can see he can have moments but overall he's not technically good at all. However, he doesn't need to be.

Dessers just has to be nuisance. See if he just moves about a bit, comes deep and goes out wide he can cause problems because of the supporting cast around him. If he can pull defenders out by doing that it can allow the likes of Sima, McCausland, Cantwell etc. to have space to play and move into. 

We seen on Thursday and even yesterday some of his and our best moments came from him just making a movement despite his actual ability on the ball.

It's no great for a 3/4 million pound player in 2023 but there is something we can do with him until better comes in. He just needs to do a bit more.

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think he was bought to be the Morelos replacement by Beale. His game is trying to do the same stuff as Alfie did, a physical presence, dropping deep to link the initial build up and occupying defenders, but he's just not very good at it.

Morelos on his day was very good at the above, but equally could be absolutely atrocious on his worst days. Big Dessers is like watching Alfie on a bad day constantly, ball bouncing off him, poor lay offs, and giving away free kicks and falling over rather than getting them. His best lay off yesterday to open up a pass out wide was actually a terrible touch.

I think we have to look at playing him another way if we want to get the best out of him. Weirdly he looks better withdrawn facing goal rather than with his back to goal, which is bizarre for someone of his build. He created a decent Betis like chance yesterday again when he got a bit of space and was facing goal. Maybe there is something there to work with.

I think there is if we play to his strengths. I still don't think it's enough to be our second striker. He.simply doesn't have the quality. Maybe as our third if Roofe was able to stay fit or someone else came in.

Btw, I think his best layoff was that for McCausland's chance. For all he had issues controlling the ball (albeit we're clearly giving him low percentage balls half the time), it's only fair to point out that he created our two best chances outside the goal yesterday, and was heavily influential in the goal. As is often the case with unpopular players, good things he does are sometimes missed.

17 minutes ago, Polo said:

He’s terrible. Awful first touch, can’t run in behind, can’t hold the ball up, most of the time he wrestles defenders for high balls and either commits a foul or doesn’t even jump to compete for a header, can’t get the ball under control, doesn’t link up play very well, fairly stagnant movement… I’m not sure if there are any positives. 

Main positive I see to his game is that he seems to be good at picking his spot if he has some time before shooting, although this is countered by his instinctive shooting being not great.

He’s improved since Clement came in. His fitness and movement are significantly better and he’s been rewarded with goals. Overall I don’t think he has enough for us. His touch and finishing is below what we need but we are going to have to work with him at least until window and I don’t see him being sold. As others have said part of what he can do is create problems for defenders to allow space for others. He seems to be gaining in confidence too and whatever way you look at it that is a good thing for the team. 

Even if it's the only thing we do in January, getting a competent cf could be a complete game changer for us. 

Dessers is seriously shite. There are no positives to his game at all as far as I can see. It's been covered over and over in this thread but it's clear to see, he isn't quick, he isn't strong, he isn't even a nuisance for cbs. He doesn't win headers, he isn't skillful or a good dribbler, he doesn't hold the ball up and link play. His first touch is atrocious, he doesn't have movement that worries defenders and he absolutely isn't a clinical finisher. 

Think how good we would be if we had a striker with even a handful of those traits at a decent standard. 

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Main positive I see to his game is that he seems to be good at picking his spot if he has some time before shooting, although this is countered by his instinctive shooting being not great.

You’re probably right. He has shown signs of composure at times. 

3 hours ago, KBOO72 said:

Even if it's the only thing we do in January, getting a competent cf could be a complete game changer for us. 

Dessers is seriously shite. There are no positives to his game at all as far as I can see. It's been covered over and over in this thread but it's clear to see, he isn't quick, he isn't strong, he isn't even a nuisance for cbs. He doesn't win headers, he isn't skillful or a good dribbler, he doesn't hold the ball up and link play. His first touch is atrocious, he doesn't have movement that worries defenders and he absolutely isn't a clinical finisher. 

Think how good we would be if we had a striker with even a handful of those traits at a decent standard. 

Utter balls.

He's probably a decent squad player for a team with more spare cash than us. Especially a team without the pressure of winning every week. 

As it stands he's massively out of his depth being one of the main strikers for us. Very very poor fit for what we need. 

Best case scenario we get him moved on and claw back some of the outlay 

If he would of finished that chance he made yesteday he would be labelled a hero. Has shown signs of improvement and is capable of producing moments of brilliance as seen. He does need to keep improving his all round game as loses control of the ball sometimes and didn't win many headers yesteday. Will see how he does in this run of games where he's going to be our main striker.