Tavs role in the team

Bad Robot

I’m thinking Flanagan will be moved over to the right and Tav moved up to give more midfield options (and wingback cover) but was Stevie G MBE too quick to give him the captains armband and will he drop a captain if he starts to make too many mistakes (which should apply to any player under performing)?

Is Tav an automatic first pick?

Think Tav will retain his RB place in a back 4 or back 5 due to his offensive play. I'd imagine the gaffer wants similar on the left from the new lad.

I'd say Flanagan is most at risk of not getting a starting slot. 

But if we play a back 5 against some teams ie scum / Europe Flanagan will slot into the right of the 3 CHs. Flanagan can cover right across the back line too.

Good options to have.

1 minute ago, RDFM said:

He should player right back or not at all. Every game where he’s been moved up he’s been average at best. His game comes from deep running and receiving the ball in space. 

Why would you remove one of the most effective offensive threats you have to accommodate Flanagan?  Defensively he's nowhere near as bad as some will have you believe, just an urban myth that's allowed to perpetuate by cherry picking on mistakes that nearly every player makes in a game but are generally ignored.   

Tav should start every game if fit.  If it's 4-4-2 then he's right back.  If it's 3-5-2 then he's right wing-back.  

We now have 5 strong options for the back (6 if you include John but I'm assuming his loan will go through).

What a position to be in considering where we were last year.

I can't see Flanagan not being a regular starter considering his pedigree. But then, I can't imagine who we would drop. Good times.

Think you'll find horses for courses. Also squad use and rottation, especially if we get to the group stages. Won't be as simple as players being moved to here or there permanently.

Flanagan'll pop up in about 3 positions. Tav a couple. Barisic 3. Will look different from fame to game.

19 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Why would you remove one of the most effective offensive threats you have to accommodate Flanagan?  Defensively he's nowhere near as bad as some will have you believe, just an urban myth that's allowed to perpetuate by cherry picking on mistakes that nearly every player makes in a game but are generally ignored.   

Tav should start every game if fit.  If it's 4-4-2 then he's right back.  If it's 3-5-2 then he's right wing-back.  

I wouldn’t. 

Tav is an utter horseshit defender, Flanagan pisses all over him on that front anyone claiming Tav is a better defender is aff their nut. 

You want Tav to play he has to make himself a wide midfielder which he is more than capable of and can do us a job there.