Breakaway European Super League

KeyserSoze

23 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

It’s the exact stance a lot of the fans of other clubs have had when there’s been any mention of us moving down south or to a breakaway European league with the other big clubs from the smaller nations.

Only difference is nobody is pushing Rangers for success and actually people in Scottish football want Rangers to suffer. Unlike UEFA, who is turning a blind eye on teams breaking financial fairplay only to give them fines, which later on are often lifted. 

1 hour ago, demise said:

Im against a Super league, as 99% of us are, but lets face it - a football without the richest teams in Europe might as well be the much needed fresh start. PL and La Liga will be more interesting imo, as plenty of clubs would have the chance to win it. And CL will finally give the fan a reason to watch it, with some new faces on the quarter finals. Get the rich ones to fuck and let them have their closed environment and play in front of tourists in Qatar. We have seen the same few clubs sharing the big pie of trophies between them for years to the point where its actually boring. Time for a change.  

Seen a lot of that, the leagues would be more interesting...

How many average joe's actually sit on a Sunday afternoon and watch Brighton vs WBA, you might shove it on if a good game is on next but games like that are fucking dire. Your biggest PL game would be Leicester vs West Ham/Everton or something every season, the viewing numbers would fall through the floor

Spanish league would be very similar without the big 3 teams, nobody is paying Premier Sports to watch Villareal vs Bilbao, unless you're a fan of 1 of those teams. Italian league is the only 1 which would be semi interesting because they still have teams like Roma/Napoli/Lazio, some decent matches in there still.

For all people are hating on the 'Big 6', they bring the viewership, without it the Sky package will be a fraction of what they're getting just now, the clubs will all need to downsize and the so call 'best league' will be a far worse spectacle than it currently is. That's the main reason why the other clubs are slaughtering them, self preservation, nothing else.

The 6 clubs are all greedy arseholes yes but the rest of the Premier League that have all rolled in the money they brought in for years are no better, they're about to find out what it'll be like to go back to 'normal' levels of transfer fees/wages. 

54 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

That argument could just as easily be used by Aberdeen or Hibs to say get rid of the Old Firm as they will have more chance of winning. 

I personally want Rangers to compete against the best sides, with history and tradition in competitions but it has to be a level playing field. The CL or EPL would 100% be devalued without those sides. I feel sympathy with the fans of these clubs and some of the players who are being led this way by corrupt owners. Some clubs will always have more money. That will never change. The point is that many of those clubs have been treated to a different standard by the governing bodies. Allowed to operate with sky high debts when others have been punished. This is partly due to collusion between corrupt owners and UEFA etc who are all beginning to reap what they have sown. The interview with Florintino Perez of Real Madrid was embarrassing, basically saying they need to do this as their debt is so high and costs of players are going up. Don’t buy the players, sell them, don’t pay wages you can’t afford. Unless it is reigned in it is an unsustainable model. It is arrogance, just because we are Real Madrid we must always have the best players etc. This attitude, assisted by Uefa is why clubs like Steau Bucharest, Dynamo Kiev etc now do nothing in Europe when previously they were big players. It’s why it is almost impossible now for the Old Firm to make any significant impact in the CL.  

Having almost lost our club and seen the actions of those who didn’t have own best interests at heart, it doesn’t really give me any pleasure to see the fans of other big clubs treated this way either. You could feel the pain from Milner and Klopp last night. Those clubs should be punished but it will take action from within, and people possibly prepared to walk out on clubs to try and stop it and enforce ownership changes etc. They need cleansed and purged of these owners and fans need to take these clubs back. 

Some very good points. The Aberdeen argument i find not the same thing, as Rangers is often suffering by referees and media, whilst UEFA is supporting, one way or another, the big fishes in the game, instead of punishing them for breaking financial fairplay, as i mentioned in my last post. I dont want change because i dont like to see top 5 clubs in Europe winning - its the top 5, of course they would win things. I want change because financial fairplay is one thing for clubs in Eastern/Central Europe, and another thing when it comes to PSG or Man City. UEFA have made that bed themselves and i feel no simpathy at all for them, and what they turned the CL to is shambles, trying their best to please the rich teams. And if the situation continues as it is now, chances are in the next 5-10 years there will be the same old big clubs winning everything. Personally i would like to see Rangers and the likes of West Ham, Atalanta, Betis or Wolves having the chance to play in an european final. With the structure we have nowdays in european football, this is impossible for years to come. 

16 minutes ago, demise said:

Only difference is nobody is pushing Rangers for success and actually people in Scottish football want Rangers to suffer. Unlike UEFA, who is turning a blind eye on teams breaking financial fairplay only to give them fines, which later on are often lifted. 

There’s plenty of non old firms fans who have openly stated that they would be glad to see the back of us, would probably result in them plummeting financially when our away support disappeared from their grounds but it would make the Scottish game more competitive as a whole even if the overall product was to a lower standard.

Uefa and Fifa are corrupt, that’s not news to anyone.

8 minutes ago, demise said:

Some very good points. The Aberdeen argument i find not the same thing, as Rangers is often suffering by referees and media, whilst UEFA is supporting, one way or another, the big fishes in the game, instead of punishing them for breaking financial fairplay, as i mentioned in my last post. I dont want change because i dont like to see top 5 clubs in Europe winning - its the top 5, of course they would win things. I want change because financial fairplay is one thing for clubs in Eastern/Central Europe, and another thing when it comes to PSG or Man City. UEFA have made that bed themselves and i feel no simpathy at all for them, and what they turned the CL to is shambles, trying their best to please the rich teams. And if the situation continues as it is now, chances are in the next 5-10 years there will be the same old big clubs winning everything. Personally i would like to see Rangers and the likes of West Ham, Atalanta, Betis or Wolves having the chance to play in an european final. With the structure we have nowdays in european football, this is impossible for years to come. 

I was with you right up until you said Wolves :lol:

19 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Banging on about 'the fans' when it really all just comes down to self preservation. 

Exactly! The fans in the Premier League are irrelevant because of the money. Matchday is a fraction of turnover.

Elsewhere the clubs are nothing without fans.

10 hours ago, folkestoneger said:

Even if the EU clubs can’t expel them they can do other things. Limits on foreign players, sceduling fixtures for midweeks and telling them they forfeit if they don’t turn up etc. 

As or competition law it’s not certain that taking action to prevent a cartel forming would fall foul of it in any case.

I wasn’t specifically talking about cartel activity, there are some tricky restraint of trade issues with the ability to ban a player from international football.

30 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

How many average joe's actually sit on a Sunday afternoon and watch Brighton vs WBA, you might shove it on if a good game is on next but games like that are fucking dire. Your biggest PL game would be Leicester vs West Ham/Everton or something every season, the viewing numbers would fall through the floor

Not if FIFA and UEFA are able to follow through on their threats about stopping players in the ESL playing for their national teams. If that has the desired effect then your Leicesters and West Hams would have the best players - and Man City's rise over the last fifteen years demonstrates, for me at least, that being a "big club" is as much about having the best players and being successful in the moment as it is about having an illustrious history.

2 minutes ago, Assegai said:

Not if FIFA and UEFA are able to follow through on their threats about stopping players in the ESL playing for their national teams. If that has the desired effect then your Leicesters and West Hams would have the best players - and Man City's rise over the last fifteen years demonstrates, for me at least, that being a "big club" is as much about having the best players and being successful in the moment as it is about having an illustrious history.

And what would sponsors say about the world's best players not playing in these tournaments? Bluff. Never going to happen.

My prediction is that even if this ESL does go ahead, the EPL or a hastily constructed replacement version of it, will go on as normal and include the six teams.

Too many teams in the EPL which are, lets face it, non entities with small fanbases, are built on the TV money alone and they aren’t going to get that without games against those 6 teams. Europe isn’t a big consideration if your modus operandi is to finish mid table and not get relegated. 

FIFA, UEFA, FA etc are all just administration bodies that fill their boots and can be replaced overnight if the clubs with power decide to do so. So the World Cup becomes the World Championship and so, under a different administrative body, they are kidding themselves if they think they are going to decide the outcome of this. 

4 minutes ago, Assegai said:

They're never going to hamper their own competitions, its a bluff at best

But say they do, you've then got players who have a choice of playing for Leicester & their national team, on far less wages than they're on even just now (As these money rich Premier League clubs lose the Sky money) 

Or they stick with their current club, likely get a massive wage rise & play in this 'Super League'

Some players will do it don't get me wrong but your De Bruyne's/Kanes/Rashfords etc will all see the $$ signs and stick with their clubs. Then you've got your Mbappe/Haaland types who will jump at a chance to get a 500/600k a week contract

2 minutes ago, Assegai said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned already - should this be the catalyst for those of us who haven't (e.g. me) invested in Club 1872 to do so?

IMO yes, but I'm sure someone will have a different opinion re: anything to do with Club 1872 and fan ownership. :lol: