Jermain Defoe no longer part of coaching staff.

CR3

Looks like Gio doesn’t see him as part of his team moving forward, probably make his exit after this year a bit easier, and a bigger one off the wage bill I guess. Would have been a good pro to have around the place but that idea looks to have been hit on the head.

14 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Looks like Gio doesn’t see him as part of his team moving forward, probably make his exit after this year a bit easier, and a bigger one off the wage bill I guess. Would have been a good pro to have around the place but that idea looks to have been hit on the head.

@They Gnu 

Gerrard got his pal a new contract when it wasn't really warranted. If he is yet to complete his coaching badges then you can't really blame GVB for taking his coaching role away.

His swan song should have been last year yet it appears to continue as a player. Great guy, but I don't agree with that.

I suppose we did wonder what would happen with the arrival of Roy Makaay. I suppose it's for the best and if he wants to play till the end of the season then it could only benefit us. He doesn't seem the guy to down tools and it will probably be is last season as a player. Gio laying down the law and not everyone will like it, but everyone needs to get on board

2 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Some people on this thread seem to be under the impression Defoe is now leaving.

This “news” is clearly from Gio’s interview question asking if he’s a coach or a player and Gio replied with player.

He will no doubt be here till the end of the season and I don’t see why he can’t contribute with a few goals before he leaves he looked relatively sharpe and in good shape in his few minutes against Livingston.

Probably means we need him match fit as Roofe's going to be out for ages and we're short on numbers up front.