McLaughlin

23 hours ago, magic8ball said:

After McGregor ,The next keeper was always going to be a level below .The only reason we had McGregor was he was in his later career and he loves Rangers .

It will be a while before we get anybody quite as good as him .

That’s a wild take considering where he was playing and what he was doing with his career when we re-signed him.

4 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

That’s a wild take considering where he was playing and what he was doing with his career when we re-signed him.

I think looking at the market now, there’s not many keepers as good as him within our wage bracket.

Look how bad the filths had been in recent years. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

I think looking at the market now, there’s not many keepers as good as him within our wage bracket.

Look how bad the filths had been in recent years. 

That’s why I said it was a good move for both parties. It suited us because we needed a good number one, and it suited him because his career was on the downwards trajectory.

I still don’t buy that we only got him because he loves us when he was playing for Hull at the bottom end of the Championship when we signed him. It’s not like we unexpectedly plucked him from a Premier League club where he was first choice and on his peak in the same way that we managed to get Barry Ferguson back when nobody thought we ever would.

16 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

Made a vital save against USG away.....and again last night. He's CLEARLY good enough. 

Does give me the fear with the ball at his feet however.....especially those stupid bye-kicks!

Tbf, he's also had two or three bad moments. 

Shagger was making saves intermixed with bad moments last year and was rightly being regarded as not good enough.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

He is definitely a steady keeper. Not sure he has an X Factor like McGregor, Klos, Goram had, but he does everything well enough.

Not a keeper that will win many games with individual brilliance, but nor one that will cost you many games either.

Perfect backup, I'd say. Tbf, it's tough to get these days, but I'm used to a match-winning goalie as first choice.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Perfect backup, I'd say. Tbf, it's tough to get these days, but I'm used to a match-winning goalie as first choice.

We have been spoiled in that position.

Woods, Goram, Klos and McGregor have been the 4 main keepers of my life time. All were outstanding.

Had a 3yr spell between Klos getting injured and McGregor emerging, and the banter years..... Other than that we always had a top keeper for the last 35yrs.

In terms of McGregor, there are better keepers out there, but who'd definitely come in and do better for us than peak McGregor? When it came to it McGregor was a perfectly fitting square peg for Rangers square hole. Not sure many better quality peg would have fitted so well.

The positives are we're much more comfortable involving him in that passing at the back in our own box than McGregor looked when he tried to do it, even though McLaughlin's not necessarily great at it himself. He's also good at catching a cross. With good positioning he'll probably save most shots he'd be expected to save.

Just personally don't think he will get close to many 'how the fuck did he save that' saves that keeps us in games when under pressure or keeps a lead etc. in the really big games and for a club like us I think you need that.

6 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

He’s literally not done anything wrong 😂 liked off a really good save at 2-1 and had no chance with equaliser after the shitebag Goldson ducked underneath it 

Made a couple of decent saves today but honestly think he should have done better at their equaliser. Maybe being harsh but it wasn't anywhere near the corner.

I initially thought he could do better with the equalizer but when you see the replay facing towards our goals, you can see players are in his line of sight. By the time the shot passes Goldson, he has seen it too late and it was also swerving away from him. I think it is harsh to blame him for that.

Irrespective of the 2nd goal today which he’s unsighted with he’s just not good enough.

Lost count of the number of goal kicks straight out the park today, uneasy at cross balls and really not that effective playing it out from the back.

Before I get slaughtered I said openly I wouldn’t have renewed his contract last season long before the No.1 debate came up this season.

2 hours ago, Super Ally Scores Again! said:

Irrespective of the 2nd goal today which he’s unsighted with he’s just not good enough.

Lost count of the number of goal kicks straight out the park today, uneasy at cross balls and really not that effective playing it out from the back.

Before I get slaughtered I said openly I wouldn’t have renewed his contract last season long before the No.1 debate came up this season.

What do you want him to do with the goal kicks? we were down to nine men everybody in our team was 25yards from his goal  he had 2 options punt it to their defenders/keeper or kick for touch one wastes slightly more time than the other.

2 hours ago, bam74 said:

Made a couple of decent saves today but honestly think he should have done better at their equaliser. Maybe being harsh but it wasn't anywhere near the corner.

It's came through a swarm of bodies, Jack turns his back on it, Goldson pulls his head put the way of it, he's completely unsighted.

I get it though, those where the kind of 'how the fuck did he get that' kinda saves McGregor can make and maybe McLaughlin can't but those kind of keepers are hard to come by at the best of times, I do think if we've earmarked a keeper capable of producing those kind of moments it'll only be if we qualify for the CL

27 minutes ago, Dickie said:

He’s morphing into mcgregor(not in a good way) glued to his goal line and his kicking is fucking woeful.

He's not proving to have any advantage over Shagger on cross balls or distribution, but is clearly not as good at shot stopping.

He's a second choice goalie.

5 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

It's came through a swarm of bodies, Jack turns his back on it, Goldson pulls his head put the way of it, he's completely unsighted.

I get it though, those where the kind of 'how the fuck did he get that' kinda saves McGregor can make and maybe McLaughlin can't but those kind of keepers are hard to come by at the best of times, I do think if we've earmarked a keeper capable of producing those kind of moments it'll only be if we qualify for the CL

Aye, we've been spoiled over the years with keepers who you would think would make that save.