Gerrard

sausagetrunks

6 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

If these players had turned up in any of the games prior to this i would agree. They haven't. Yet he has stubbornly stuck by his wee favourites. This is his choice. He has to at some point take responsibility. Im happy he took kent off but answer me this. Do you think he changes anything if lundstram stays on the pitch? I think he would have given the team 'another 20 minutes' in the second half. 

Even a blind man can see Lundstram isnt ready for first team football, he is either clearly unfit or just shite. Im hoping its the former. 

I've been outspoken about what I think of Lundstram right from the start so from that view you are right but his options were limited to Arfield or Kelly. Gerrard will NOT stay loyal to Lundstram going forward.

5 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

How can you blame Gerrard specifically for the team selection? Any eleven from that squad should be smashing that standard of opponent.

And yet we didnt, you would perhaps think a manager would notice that and make some tactical tweaks like a formation change.... Oh wait we only play one formation and one specific way. 

We need a plan B, this is heading into warburton territory where plan b is play plan A better. Teams have learned how to combat our play we need to adapt and learn some new tricks or its going to lead to many frustrating nights. 

5 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

And yet we didnt, you would perhaps think a manager would notice that and make some tactical tweaks like a formation change.... Oh wait we only play one formation and one specific way. 

We need a plan B, this is heading into warburton territory where plan b is play plan A better. Teams have learned how to combat our play we need to adapt and learn some new tricks or its going to lead to many frustrating nights. 

While I respect the point about tactical changes that isn’t what I was responding to.

As for comparing it to Warburton, sorry but that’s absolute bollocks and you know it. Fucking mental comparison.

1 minute ago, Essandoh said:

While I respect the point about tactical changes that isn’t what I was responding to.

As for comparing it Warburton, sorry but that’s absolute bollocks and you know it. Fucking mental comparison.

Its not though, we have one style of play just like warburtons reign. Yes we play better and have better players but the fact remains teams know exactly what formation we will play and how we will try and play. 

Are you telling me that isnt a problem? 

Scott Wright and Bassey did well. Davis was the one senior player I would say was just about alright. I don't think Goldson excelled at all, surprised he got called out by the manager.  From where I was sitting in SJR looked like he missed a great chance to score with header, and generally wasn't that imposing or great with the ball, looked off his level from last year without being tested.

28 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

Gerrards interview he said Goldson gave a super human effort - that's where I don't agree with him 

I think he is stretching it by using superhuman to describe any of our players tonight, the fact he reiterated it a few times tells me he is clearly having a pop at certain individuals who were well below it

1 minute ago, BigBearButt said:

Its not though, we have one style of play just like warburtons reign. Yes we play better and have better players but the fact remains teams know exactly what formation we will play and how we will try and play. 

Are you telling me that isnt a problem? 

Was it a problem last season? Did teams not know how we played last season? Is the formation rigid with no fluidity during the game?

What formation do you suggest? 4-4-2 and give up the middle of the park, completely destroying years of work and routines?

What about 3 at the back with Goldson, Helander and Balogun? Prepared to have the three of them playing out of defence?

Or will we take the wingers away and return to the days of playing with a sole striker?

3 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

Scott Wright and Bassey did well. Davis was the one senior player I would say was just about alright. I don't think Goldson excelled at all, surprised he got called out by the manager.  From where I was sitting in SJR looked like he missed a great chance to score with header, and generally wasn't that imposing or great with the ball, looked off his level from last year without being tested.

That header was terrible, looked scared of the ball hurting him and it slid down his face

Just now, Essandoh said:

That header was terrible, looked scared of the ball hurting him and it slid down his face

havent seen the replay yet but was raging at the time. Moments like that, the ball going out the park from Lundstrum/Helander I think under no pressure and also Alfie not controlling it on the byline just summed us up at times. So sloppy.

Wouldnt have called out Goldson at all.

1 minute ago, Essandoh said:

Was it a problem last season? Did teams not know how we played last season? Is the formation rigid with no fluidity during the game?

What formation do you suggest? 4-4-2 and give up the middle of the park, completely destroying years of work and routines?

What about 3 at the back with Goldson, Helander and Balogun? Prepared to have the three of them playing out of defence?

Or will we take the wingers away and return to the days of playing with a sole striker?

Im not the manager its not my job to look at formations.

Im just pointing out when its clear the 433 isnt working we have no plan b other than throwing on a player to play in the exact same formation and hope it works. 

I will say there is nothing wrong with 1 striker. We certainly have the players at our disposal to play just behind a single striker in hagi, aribo and now bacuna. 

15 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Think we should be looking at three at the back as a second plan tbh.

Tav and/or Bassey could easily play as an “overlapping” centre back IMO and it gives us a way to get Patterson & Bassey into the side more often.

Also gives us the option to go with two upfront with three midfielders behind them, two upfront with Hagi in behind them, two upfront with somebody like Kent playing more centrally and stretching teams (mainly in Europe) with his pace and running or one up front with two people playing off of them.

Gerrard needs to learn to be more adaptable tactically and three at the back is a great way to do it.

I can genuinely see a clear out on the way if this continues.   We have a huge squad of players and at the moment a lot of the so called Big players are rotten.   Kents been terrible this season so far and he literally needs to take a long hard look at himself and get it sorted.  Tav was fantastic last season but i genuinely think Patterson is a better option right now not saying thats always gonna be the case but i think its something we should run with and see how it goes. 

7 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Goldson was fine tonight and seemed to be more of a vocal leader than our captain.

But in all honesty, we lack a true leader when the going gets tough.

That's the way Goldson always is, folk just don't notice it. Always the one with the responsibility for moving the line about and organising the back 4.

6 hours ago, BigBearButt said:

Im not the manager its not my job to look at formations.

Im just pointing out when its clear the 433 isnt working we have no plan b other than throwing on a player to play in the exact same formation and hope it works. 

I will say there is nothing wrong with 1 striker. We certainly have the players at our disposal to play just behind a single striker in hagi, aribo and now bacuna. 

It was working last night. Kent fluffed a great chance and Alfie missed a couple of decent chances before his goal. If it finished 3 or 4 nil these conversations wouldn't be happening. The players had the chances they just didn't take them.

Looking at him and reading between the lines of his comments, I think Gerrard’s looking worried and sounds a bit stumped.

The same kind of pre-Covid comments have been made over the past couple of weeks about it now being player’s responsibility but, like then as well, too many keep letting him/us down, aren’t turning up and don’t seem up for the fight.

It’s absolutely ridiculous/shameful that all the momentum we built up from last season almost seems to have evaporated. 

Not thrilled with that longer interview. Basically he is relying on Tav, Goldson etc getting their act together and bringing the dressing room along. Also keeps talking about 'superhuman efforts' but neglects to mention Aribo and particularly Hagi who ran themselves into the ground 2nd half yet praises Davis and Goldson continuously who were OK last night nothing more.