Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

Just now, The Dude said:

So he should have hedged his bets on the chance he'd get a job that when he was asked wasn't available and he wasn't linked with?

How is that hedging his bets? It would only be hedging his bets if there were only two ways of answering that question - yes and no.
I'm saying there were dozens of ways he could've answered that question that wouldn't have jeopardised his position with us without strongly implying his total commitment to his role here. He didn't need to be that emphatic. Particularly as I'm almost certain he'll have already had some level of informal contact with Aston Villa by then. 

6 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

English players are mercenaries with no club loyalty, something you can’t normally attribute to Scottish players. Modern day is changing but the English game and mentality is a stain on football as a whole.

Absolute bollox greed, ambition and a desire to do better are universal.

1 minute ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

His reaction was over the top IMO and it undermines his integrity.  Could have just rolled out something a little more generic like "its flattering to be linked but I'm focused on Rangers", as opposed to suggesting the very notion he would consider leaving was ridiculous/silly.  Especially if (as I expect) we hear the family excuse pretty soon.

He was never a realistic contender for the newcastle job.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

I’m pissed off but I still want him to do well. If he does well the knock on effect is a bump in our reputation too. 

We should be hoping that the perception that our job is easy and winning the league is easy changes and the only way that happens is if people leave us and do well after leaving on bigger stages.

Fair enough but the guy I quoted was wondering what formation etc he would use at Villa. Not now mate. 

Just now, rangersross said:

How is that hedging his bets? It would only be hedging his bets if there were only two ways of answering that question - yes and no.
I'm saying there were dozens of ways he could've answered that question that wouldn't have jeopardised his position with us without strongly implying his total commitment to his role here. He didn't need to be that emphatic. Particularly as I'm almost certain he'll have already had some level of informal contact with Aston Villa by then. 

You think he'd had contact with Villa before we'd played Brondby?

Just now, The Dude said:

You think he'd had contact with Villa before we'd played Brondby?

I think it's likely there would have been a very informal sounding-out via Purslow, yeah. But even if there wasn't the point remains: if he knew he was open to a lower/mid table EPL job, he didn't need to be so emphatic in his response. 

Just now, rangersross said:

I think it's likely there would have been a very informal sounding-out via Purslow, yeah. But even if there wasn't the point remains: if he knew he was open to a lower/mid table EPL job, he didn't need to be so emphatic in his response. 

Mental.

I get that this isn’t the best comparison due to the size of the club he left for, but Souness leaving for Liverpool at the time he did, is that as bad as this?

For me, we’ve been grumbling a bit at performances, we love the guy for what he’s done, but if we get someone in now, they’ve got January to make changes, they’ve got time and they’ve got a team with a lot to play for. When Souness left, we were right at the sweatiest part of the season. Smith came in and delivered, but the fact is he left for Liverpool. There’s a sour feeling to this right now due to the club he’s leaving for.

Im disappointed but I understand. Time to move forward. It’ll be exciting at least.