Hagi

ForeverBlue92

55 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

If that’s the case, and I think he would score goals for us, then the board need to stop coming out with statements about a player trading model then.  They can’t keep talking out of both sides of their mouths like they have been when it comes to our recruitment policy.

Disagree. You can have a player trading model whilst signing players here and there who don't fall into that bracket because you think they will have a positive impact on the park.

On 20/11/2023 at 10:00, JackAlex93 said:

Doing well on loan? 

I'm not claiming that he's set the world alight over there. But bearing in mind he'd been out injured for a very long time, he's currently playing week in week out in La Liga (been in squad 10 out of 11 game weeks and been on the pitch in 9 of those games) and doing well enough that he's in the international squad off the back of it.

So yeah, from what we would hope for from the loan deal, he appears to be doing well.

10 minutes ago, toolongawake said:

I'm not claiming that he's set the world alight over there. But bearing in mind he'd been out injured for a very long time, he's currently playing week in week out in La Liga (been in squad 10 out of 11 game weeks and been on the pitch in 9 of those games) and doing well enough that he's in the international squad off the back of it.

So yeah, from what we would hope for from the loan deal, he appears to be doing well.

He was getting in the National team when he was barely playing for us as well. It means very little.

22 minutes ago, toolongawake said:

9 games in la liga, 1 assist and zero goals. Not exactly lighting the league up. Pretty much gets picked for Romania regardless if he is playing every week anyway so that's not really a measure.

4 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

If that’s the case, and I think he would score goals for us, then the board need to stop coming out with statements about a player trading model then.  They can’t keep talking out of both sides of their mouths like they have been when it comes to our recruitment policy.

Just cause we've got a 'player trading model' doesn't mean you only sign kids. We've got Danilo up front now and require a decent backup who can offer something off the bench. That would be Shankland not some 20 year old project.

57 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Just cause we've got a 'player trading model' doesn't mean you only sign kids. We've got Danilo up front now and require a decent backup who can offer something off the bench. That would be Shankland not some 20 year old project.

When you’ve got a squad of 28 that contains 10 players who are 29 or older, and a good proportion of them are playing most weeks, then you should probably be thinking about trying to bring the average age of the squad down a bit, especially if the plan is to have player trading making up a significant portion of our income and we are going to have the people running the club never be shy in talking about it.

I think Shankland would score goals for us, but I also don’t think he would want to come here to be a backup striker either. I also think Hearts would want an inflated fee from us too and I’m not convinced that when you put all of that together he would be good value for the money he would cost.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but it’s very rare that the so called clubs who have nailed the player trading model - Brighton, Dortmund, Alkmaar, Brentford, Porto, Ajax, Benfica - would typically go out and spend an inflated fee on a player who will be 29 by the time the following season starts. They would look at low cost transfers (relative to what they spend), free transfers and loans to plug the backups and provide experience within the squad.

30 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

When you’ve got a squad of 28 that contains 10 players who are 29 or older, and a good proportion of them are playing most weeks, then you should probably be thinking about trying to bring the average age of the squad down a bit, especially if the plan is to have player trading making up a significant portion of our income and we are going to have the people running the club never be shy in talking about it.

I think Shankland would score goals for us, but I also don’t think he would want to come here to be a backup striker either. I also think Hearts would want an inflated fee from us too and I’m not convinced that when you put all of that together he would be good value for the money he would cost.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but it’s very rare that the so called clubs who have nailed the player trading model - Brighton, Dortmund, Alkmaar, Brentford, Porto, Ajax, Benfica - would typically go out and spend an inflated fee on a player who will be 29 by the time the following season starts. They would look at low cost transfers (relative to what they spend), free transfers and loans to plug the backups and provide experience within the squad.

Think he'd walk over broken glass to come here regardless if he was backup. Pushing 30 and he's yet to have a big contract(in footballer terms) so the chance to get that at his team whilst still seeing plenty of football, I cant see him turning that down to stay at Hearts on a couple grand a week just because he will start more.

5 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Well maybe they don’t think he’s good enough and they’ve picked their best side…

That's why I said I was surprised he was on the bench after scoring the winner in the last game.

Maybe you are right in the selection, but there sure is a dislike for Hagi with a lot in here.

4 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Ajax signed 30 year old dusan tadic for 13m

Dortmund signed 29 year old axel witsel for 20m

Dortmund signed fullkrug for 15m

Benfica spent 15m on 32 year old otamendi 

Brentford spent 13m on 30 year old flekken

So not every signing has to be a young up and comer, even the best at the player trading model can spend (and spend a relatively large sum) for a player that's a bit older. 

11 hours ago, stevemac said:

So not every signing has to be a young up and comer, even the best at the player trading model can spend (and spend a relatively large sum) for a player that's a bit older. 

You can sign one player every few years who breaks the mould. But the whole point about a model is the majority of your strategy adheres to it.

Ajax have spent over 200 million, Benfica close to 200 million and Brentford 125 million over the last 3 years and the average age for all 3 clubs for these players signed is 22.

Brentford spent a bit of money on a 30 year old keeper. And Ajax and Benfica made one off purchases on an older player using 10% of their spend.

In contrast to us where 50% of our fees have gone on players 26 or older in the past 4 seasons. These guys have significantly lower potential sell on value.

Thats not a player trading model. 

If we were signing good young players and supplementing them with an experienced defender who is a starter for 10% of our spend. That would make sense.

33 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

He's so rotten, he is a regular capped player for a country who just qualified for Euro 24. (1st in group)

:lol:

Switzerland aside, they topped a group with Israel, Kosovo, Belarus and Andorra in it 😂 Group of death there right enough.

So being capped means you are a good player now does it? Stephen O'Donnell was getting caps for Scotland every international break a while back and he's absolute pish.

2 minutes ago, JackAlex93 said:

Switzerland aside, they topped a group with Israel, Kosovo, Belarus and Andorra in it 😂 Group of death there right enough.

So being capped means you are a good player now does it? Stephen O'Donnell was getting caps for Scotland every international break a while back and he's absolute pish.

Harry maguire gets a game for England and he’s an absolute bombscare 

On 21/11/2023 at 21:21, stevemac said:

Witsel aside, not the best examples. 

All of them came from a top 5 leagues, which would have been seen as sound investments since they were dropping down.