We need to have a serious conversation about Tav

RangersMedia

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

We're demanding too much of him right now and from what Sterling has shown so far, he is absolutely miles off it attacking-wise. 

He's 32 in 2 months. We can't expect him to play in such a demanding formation against top opponents IMO, otherwise they will continually take advantage of it. 

We all know that historically Tav has never been the best defender - he upped his levels over the last few seasons and an element of this was masked by just how good he has been going forward - but last night we got absolutely nothing out of Tav apart from one foray forward. 

Don't think Devine is anywhere close to being good enough either, so this is definitely an area we need to look at. 

I wish that, instead of asking nonsense questions about points they can generate clickbait from, the media actually started challenging Beale on some of this stuff. The fan media should definitely be doing it (but they'd probably get banned). 

Never going to happen unless in one-to-ones, which we only do with Sky. Even if they do, he's not going to turn around and say 'aye, my captain's finished but we've nothing to replace him with'.

With him turning 32 soon, I expect we'll look at seriously replacing him from next summer,  rather than bringing in guys who are clear back-ups (Zukowski, Sterling, Flanagan, Polster etc).

Agreed going to be tough to ask him to be our main width provider over a season.

If we do I think we need to sign a new cdm. One with real legs that can chew up the ground and slot in when Tav is up the park. (Or maybe Cifuentes can fill that role)

All too often we get caught in the vacated full back hole. Partly Tav to blame but also Jack just doesn’t have the legs to do it anymore. And we kind of saw that for the first goal last night 

He’s done physically as the player he was. At one point last night the ball got played to him the run, with his man coming at him. The Tav of a year or so ago would’ve knocked the ball past the guy and ran onto it. Last night Tav checked outside, stopped and tried to win the foul/throw in. He’s been doing stuff like this all season. 

Sterling played versus Morton and was poor. Needs to only come in again later in games when games are won.  Devine should start before him.

It's the same argument exists at both full backs, and arguably CH. I'm sure Beale would love the money to improve those positions but it couldn't all be done at once.

Our defence to him was stronger to live with / would bring in less money than our forward area and the sales we got from forwards. I've no doubt he'll be focusing on the defence next summer, if he's still here. Borna will be away for a start. It's work in progress and I hope Tav gets rested more this season.

15 minutes ago, Smile said:

The defence was a priority in the transfer window after the amount of easy goals we concede due to both fullbacks.

We brought in Sterling who cant get a game.

Nonsense. Forward line was way more of a priority given Kent and Morelos had left, Beale obviously didn’t fancy Colak, Tillman move didn’t come off and I think everyone had pretty much given up on Matondo.

I’d even argue midfield (Arfield and Davies away and a lot of grumbles about Jack’s fitness and Lundstrum’s performances last year) and GK (McGregor leaving, McLaughlin not good enough) were more of a priority.

3 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

He has never been able to defend, it's exposed again and again at the higher levels, or against quick pressing countering teams. 

Funnily enough, he was identified by UEFA as one of the 'key features' of our CL campaign last year

https://uefatechnicalreports.com/pdf-ucl-2023

image.png.0d2dd305ab04e02902a7df79a3e45dec.png

1 minute ago, rossco87 said:

Nonsense. Forward line was way more of a priority given Kent and Morelos had left, Beale obviously didn’t fancy Colak, Tillman move didn’t come off and I think everyone had pretty much given up on Matondo.

I’d even argue midfield (Arfield and Davies away and a lot of grumbles about Jack’s fitness and Lundstrum’s performances last year) and GK (McGregor leaving, McLaughlin not good enough) were more of a priority.

But he signed lammers for a role we already had 3 players for nevermind him shoehorning sima in there at times