Goldson/Kamara

kelvd1873

Contracts….

What is happening with this?

For me both players have been below par so far this season, could the fact that they have not signed a new contract be playing on their minds? 

It would be great to get them both signed ASAP and then hopefully both would kick on from there. 

thoughts? 

None of us are privy to what's going on behind the scenes but surely we must have been trying to move them on in the window when it was obvious that they weren't going to sign extensions to their existing contracts, more so Goldson as Kamara's contract doesn't run out until 2024 IIRC, having said that if no one has come even close to our evaluations then what option does the club have?

Right now Goldson has us over a barrel with our present CB situation and I imagine that he'll run down his present contract and hope his agent will get him his big payday move back down south, it's a risky strategy but he holds all the cards ATM, Kamara's situation is slightly different as we will still have the opportunity to move him on either in January or next summer.

54 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

None of us are privy to what's going on behind the scenes but surely we must have been trying to move them on in the window when it was obvious that they weren't going to sign extensions to their existing contracts, more so Goldson as Kamara's contract doesn't run out until 2024 IIRC, having said that if no one has come even close to our evaluations then what option does the club have?

Right now Goldson has us over a barrel with our present CB situation and I imagine that he'll run down his present contract and hope his agent will get him his big payday move back down south, it's a risky strategy but he holds all the cards ATM, Kamara's situation is slightly different as we will still have the opportunity to move him on either in January or next summer.

I wasn’t aware kamara was contracted until then, I assumed he was the same as Goldson as I know Gerrard was talking about kamaras extension offer. 

17 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

I wasn’t aware kamara was contracted until then, I assumed he was the same as Goldson as I know Gerrard was talking about kamaras extension offer. 

Just checked, my mistake his contract expires 2023, I could have sworn he was contracted till 2024, so I guess it's the same scenario as Goldson.

2 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Fuck Goldson if he hasn’t signed by January. It’s a poker game. He’s not been that impressive so far this season. He should be thanking us for the career he has now. 

I understand what you say mate but TBH I'm not going to blame him or Kamara, they are professionals and have to look after their own interests as it's a short career, if you or I had been offered 3-4 times our wages elsewhere then I know for certain I would take it without thinking, I do think it's a bit shitty not helping the club out by extending their contracts but that's the way it is with agents whispering in their ears and there's nothing we can do about it.

5 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I understand what you say mate but TBH I'm not going to blame him or Kamara, they are professionals and have to look after their own interests as it's a short career, if you or I had been offered 3-4 times our wages elsewhere then I know for certain I would take it without thinking, I do think it's a bit shitty not helping the club out by extending their contracts but that's the way it is with agents whispering in their ears and there's nothing we can do about it.

Kamara is signed until 2023 mate. I’m fine with him, but if he hasn’t signed it means he’s wanting to go. This coming January will be interesting for the club. Hope he signs a new contract and we cash in on him. Goldson situation is not healthy for us. We need to make a real thrust to win the league this season and then we’re in the drivers seat. Wherever Goldson goes he will never play Champions League. Bit stupid on his thinking. 

3 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I honestly don't think champions league will be his priority, 6 games in the CL [unlikely to be any more]versus a 3yr contract at possibly treble his wages at his age would be very unlikely for him to turn down.

Aye mate, he will make more money for sure even going down to the Championship in England. If that’s his thinking then fuck him. He’s looking stale anyway. Get what we can for him. 

Goldson is a good defender but he's not great, guilty as any of making mistakes and shit defending but has never been dropped so makes him look better than he actually is. 

As long as we are doing a proper job in identifying a replacement he can go if he likes.

Kamara looks like he needs to go too. Harder to replace but looks like he wants away but at 50k he's repaid that a million times over.

1 hour ago, Mondraker said:

Goldson is a good defender but he's not great, guilty as any of making mistakes and shit defending but has never been dropped so makes him look better than he actually is. 

As long as we are doing a proper job in identifying a replacement he can go if he likes.

Kamara looks like he needs to go too. Harder to replace but looks like he wants away but at 50k he's repaid that a million times over.

Its not about repaying his transfer fee its about getting us on a sustainable business model which includes not losing a player valued at over 10m for nothing. This should have been the priority over the summer and the fact its not sorted is not great for us. 

I said at the time we should have released davis/slashed his wage and used that money to offer kamara a vastly increased wage to at the very least get him to sign a contract to allow us to cash in on him. 

2 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

Its not about repaying his transfer fee its about getting us on a sustainable business model which includes not losing a player valued at over 10m for nothing. This should have been the priority over the summer and the fact its not sorted is not great for us. 

I said at the time we should have released davis/slashed his wage and used that money to offer kamara a vastly increased wage to at the very least get him to sign a contract to allow us to cash in on him. 

Bring in, improve, sell on at a profit.

From their point of view, you can understand it ,their not Scottish or fans of the club

they both won the league last year, play in a poor league,what else can they realistically achieve? Winning the league again of course and straight into the group stages of the champions league,but we’re never going to win it are we.

Would be happy to be proven wrong but can’t see either signing a new deal.

Goldson will be looking for a last pay day with lower end PL or Championship and will get a decent sign on fee if he is a free.

Kamara will do similar to how we got him from Dundee, he will get the CL game time and then head at the end of the that season unless we get a nominal fee.

Not really bothered about Goldson tbh, going into the CL will be worth treble or quadruple his value to being sold in the past summer.

Kamara however is a £20m player and getting into the CL without him signing a new contract which means the CL makes up the loss of those two players instead of getting us on an even keel financially with player sales taking us into profit is concerning 

Accepted that Goldson's off. Worried about the core of our defence keeping himself safe ahead of January, rather than putting his body on the line for the team. At least we have a bit of time with Kamara to either secure an extension or get a decent deal for the club.

Win the league this season and then we can invest heavily next summer with CL money secured. That point might be the time to cash in on Kamara if he still hasn't signed and we get a respectable deal.

Goldson has served us well but I’d prefer a leader in that position,

Gough, Butcher, Amo, Weir were all leaders as well as good centre backs.

If we’re assuming that Goldson is running down his contract to get a big signing on fee, then the club should already have a shortlist or even have made tenuous contact? :whistle:

The team needs someone who can grab them by the scruff of the neck and Gerrard, of all people, should appreciate the difference a real leader on the pitch can make.

Goldsons never been as good as he thinks he is, done a good job for us but if he's not accepting the contract then move him on, take time for someone to settle but it's not a huge loss

Kamara, whilst being a bigger loss, has been one of our worst players so far this season. A guy who looks like he clearly doesn't want to be here & who we should get a decent fee for, time to cash in was after the Euro's though.

Hopefully we can sell both for decent fees if they aren't signing however as a club we shouldn't be letting 2 players who's careers were going nowhere before joining us hold us over a barrel.

We can't be signing desirable players for millions, them performing well, then leaving for nothing. 

At some point in the future we need to start selling players for a profit. We're almost the only club going that seem to be living in the past thinking we can't do it. It's going to have to happen. 

Buy low, sell high. 

2 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Goldsons never been as good as he thinks he is, done a good job for us but if he's not accepting the contract then move him on, take time for someone to settle but it's not a huge loss

Kamara, whilst being a bigger loss, has been one of our worst players so far this season. A guy who looks like he clearly doesn't want to be here & who we should get a decent fee for, time to cash in was after the Euro's though.

Hopefully we can sell both for decent fees if they aren't signing however as a club we shouldn't be letting 2 players who's careers were going nowhere before joining us hold us over a barrel.

Bit of an elephant in the room but I agree Kamara has been on of the worst.