Why Rangers?

Some great stories! To quote one ‘Rangers was probably the only consistent thing in my life’ 

Rangers has given us all life experiences of huge highs and sadly some lows. We’ve all experienced these together, but in our own way. It’s amazing how a football club becomes a family, a way of life and, for some, a real commitment. 

For those who were born into a Rangers family, what’s your first memory of coming to Ibrox?

Wee random memory; I went to Ibrox for an interview (for merchant navy!), a few days after Laudrup signed. After the interview I came back down to the ground floor via the lift, which the code is 1928 from memory?? (year the main stand was built) as I’m walking along the corridor there’s Laudrup being interviewed by some journalist, I stopped and listened in for a few minutes, pretty cool for a goofy 16 year old laddie to be part of!

My dad was a Rangers fan  growing up but moved to England for work 

when I was about 5 we moved from Birmingham up to aberdeen 

was a Saturday tea time and was a lot of noise from our front window ( house at bottom of broad hill ) where fans used to walk over to and from stadium 

my dad was up at window waving his Union Jack 🇬🇧 to Rangers fans singing and that’s was me swept away

I moved to London for work when I was 20 (1984), was in a pub with a London born and bred mate and he was cheering on Man U, surprised I asked if his family were from Manchester, he replied “no my family are all Chelsea fans, but they are crap” I was very naive in those days and had just met my first glory hunter. Still don’t get them.

I love Rangers I was brought up Rangers, my family love Rangers, they did us proud when my father passed - a phone call from mum was all it took, when Rangers were at the time on it’s knees and the cowards that settled for second best voted us out - we as a family were walked out of the players tunnel with our father/grandfathers ashes and walked around the pitch.

My mum pointed to the stands halfway behind the Rangers goal and said “When we were winching that’s where George and I stood.

When we got to the void on the Centre line where the ashes are laid Mum said “When we wed we stood there” pointing halfway up the stadia “As a family”  

We are and always will be Rangers.

Forgot to say that my first Rangers Santa was John Greig at the East Kilbride Rangers Club.

5 hours ago, JM1872 said:

It’s the old cliché but it’s true and it will be true for many others on here. There never was another team, there never was another choice. My dad supports Rangers, as did his dad before him and undoubtedly his dad before him too. My mum’s side were also Rangers, though they passed before I came along. Absolutely no chance it would have been anyone else but Rangers, and thank fuck. It was in the blood.

This pretty much.

It's old fashioned, but my dad was a Church of Scotland minister and I grew up at a time (the 90s) where that meant there was only one team for me. A guy at the church who was a former gangster took me to my first game at 8 years old. Seen Gazza and Laudrup and it was all over - no going back after that.

6 minutes ago, simplythebestest said:

It's old fashioned, but my dad was a Church of Scotland minister and I grew up at a time (the 90s) where that meant there was only one team for me. A guy at the church who was a former gangster took me to my first game at 8 years old. Seen Gazza and Laudrup and it was all over - no going back after that.

:lol: 

2 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

:lol: 

True story! Turned to the church after becoming suicidal because of the stuff he'd done. Lots of characters and crack pots like that over the years growing up in the church. It draws them in.

14 hours ago, El-Hadji Spit RFC said:

We’re all from different walks o life, how did we all end up supporting Rangers?!…

My story isn’t your typical one I guess… I actually supported my local team Dunfermline Athletic as a tot, went to all the home games with my grandfather… He didn’t allow anything green in his house, which to begin with I couldn’t understand.  Then a wee Rangers bank appeared on his sideboard!? The penny dropped 😉and I realised that whilst my grandfather liked to support his local team deep down he was a Rangers man! This got me intrigued and I started watching Rangers games around 1988 (10yr old), which of course was great timing!!! I guess his way was instilled into me and I never looked back.  Whilst I don’t make many games, I rarely miss a game on the box 👍 My grandfather passed away some 20+ years ago but glad to say I still have that wee bank!AD75A615-6174-436A-AD49-161A873F29F3.thumb.jpeg.1160e6a9a21235b243673d3690ef3bd6.jpeg

Very similar story as mine, my dad supported Dunfermline his local team which in the early 1960's were a decent team.

He began taking me aged around 6-7 (still young enough to be lifted over the turnstiles), which went to plan until Rangers came to play.  That was it, seeing the magic of Willie Henderson on one wing and Davie Wilson on the other put me on the right path.

I still believe however we are born a blue, nothing changes that

Dads side of the family are all Protestant Rangers fans, mums side all Catholic celtic fans. But growing up we never saw my dads side of the family at all and my dad was never that in to football. 

Started supporting Rangers when I was maybe 6 or so and as I remember it, it mainly came down to the fact I preferred the players at the time and fucking adored Albertz. 

My Dad wasn't much into football, but he and his brothers were all in the Orange lodge -  it was my Grandad that got me and my brother supporting the Gers.

At the age of 5 or 6 - we were not allowed to leave his house until we sang at least one Rangers song to the end - he even painted his fence Blue Red and white.

Took us to our first Rangers game at the age of 10 ( that would be 1969 )  - and that was it ! Rangers Daft and still am.

17 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

From my dad, took me in 1963/64 when I was 6.
When I was watching the game on Sunday my 3 year old twin granddaughters cuddled in and were shouting Rangers😀💙they will be the 5th generation of Bluenoses in my family. 

I’m still surprised you’re that old :lol: 

I was never really into football when I was a kid to be honest. Mostly ran around pretending to be a ninja until I was about 8 and playing with GI Joe's, like a right little prick. Some things never change eh?

None of my family were mad into football. My Da is a Rangers fan, but was an armchair fan rather than going to games, so I just ignored the telly when he was watching the football as i thought it was boring.

As I have said before, I went to the local pape school, as this was close to where I lived and there was a bit of scandal going on at the time with the school (non-dom) my sister had went to. As I wasnt a catholic, the majority of the other kids in the school were celtic fans and assumed I was a rangers fan, so always gave it big licks when they won, and I had no real idea what they were on about.

Then Italia 90 happened and I started watching the world cup, and that got me interested in football. From then I started watching the games with my Da and became utterly hooked! Was excellent timing as well as it was the 9-in-a-row era, so was able to noise up all the wee cunts in my school.

Odd one for me too. From Essex so obviously raised a man united fan 😂

Moved to dumfries aged 10, went into school first day the lads asked me who I supported so I said, and they said naw rangers or celtic, and my favourite colour was blue so picked rangers 😂

Moved down to cumbria a year or two later and My pals dad started taking me to games, it was then really when I was around 12 or 13 that I become a proper fan, got my first season ticket and followed them ever since. Went to quote a few division 3 matches then didn't really get time to get to any games for a good few years due to school then work commitments, started going to a couple of games a season a couple of year ago.

It's maybe not the romantic story of being born and raised into it from a long line of bears but I wouldnt have it any other way tbh, fucking love my club.

Born in Wales to Scottish parents. Dad and all his side are Rangers, so I’ve been Rangers since birth really.

Went through spells as a kid where I classed Swansea as my second team but that was just because I could go and watch them on the odd occasion.

First game was Dundee United at home in 2004… 1-1 draw lol.

I don't think it was a conscious decision tbh you just follow the team your dad and yer brothers support, thankfully it was Rangers I did have a soft spot for Motherwell when Cooper was there and can remember them beating celtic when Stevie Kirk scored the winner but it's always been Rangers can not imagine getting as big a buzz out of any other team scoring. 

I think my first real memory of supporting Rangers is the day Woods got sent off and it ended up in court, can mind having a hatred for gerry crainey and walker, mcstay etc for some reason. 

Talking about glory hunters a lot of folk in my area liked Aberdeen who I fucking hated also and still do.