Are we prepared to write off this season?

beararse

Seems crazy to think like this given its the first week in September and we reached the CL group stages so let me explain.

We have been complaining about the defence for years. For 3 of the past 4 seasons there has been a constant stream of horrendous goals conceded. It all seemed to click for the 55 season but let's be honest, there was little pressure in the league after the first few months as celtic imploded. Faced with a challenge we are back to a bomb scare defending.

Once players return from injury, i'd drop the entire back line (with perhaps the exception of Tav who at least contributes going forward) and play Souttar and Davies as CBs with Yilmaz at LB and McCrorie in goal. Throw young King in if Davies has family stuff that doesn't take a turn for the better.

Can't be much worse than the shite we are witnessing. Plus, we wont know if they are any good together (or individually) unless we play them. No point fucking around until next season, or playing them in early cup rounds to find out if they will sink or swim. That'll be another year down the pan.

Same goes for midfield. McCann and Lowry (when fit) should be given their chance with Jack, Kamara, Arfield and Davis only gracing the pitch as subs.

Its kamikaze stuff but what the fuck else can we do?

Play the regulars who are fast approaching their sell by date? ('best before' date is maybe more appropriate as no fucker seems interested in buying them)

Invest a huge chunk of money in the hope we get it right next season? (We've made a vast amount of money compared to years gone by and yet we still aren't in a sustainable position where we can invest adequately in the team). Even if could, we cant buy anyone until January.

Succession planning by the club has been well and truly fucked up by those in charge. 

And before folk start typing 'surrender monkey' and hurling abuse at me for this post, stop and think about the position we find ourselves in.

What the fuck else can we do? If you have a better way forward i'm all ears.

Call me a surrender monkey but there is still a gap between us and first place. I suppose the CL/EL money has gone mainly to repay the shareholder loans, so we'll need to wait to next year's money (assuming we get there) to invest in the squad.

We'll be a comfortable second but I don't see us push them for 1st place, which is gutting.

When Gerrard left last season it was us who were 5 points in front. The scum were that poor that that was even with us dropping points, they had just dropped more. Things at that time looked bleak for them but as a full season shows things can turn around very quickly.

We're not showing many signs that we're capable of turning things round but have a look how many key players are out injured or still coming back from injury. We also have new players bedding in. A year ago many were writing off Lundstram and Bassey was nowhere near the levels he finished the season at so again there's more reasons how things can change.

It may not be looking great right now but there's a long way to go so writing the season off at this stage is mental. We do however need to find a way of consistently winning games quickly. 

7 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

How can we write it off? 2 of our highest value assets are running their contracts down, we don't have many others we can convert to a sizeable transfer fee to reinvest in the squad. That means that we need CL qualification next season. The best way to achieve that is through winning the league, for automatic qualification.

The players + the manager need to buck up their ideas and do it quickly.

Do you believe that back line is capable of improving? It's one thing saying the players need to buck up their ideas but what happens if they are incapable. Will we give then another year in the hope they can prove themselves?

100% and its the reason why Gio should go sooner rather than later.

If we're waiting until they're 10/15/20+ clear or until its mathematically impossible then fair enough can see the argument but everyone can see where this is going 

Gio isn't the type to change his style, we don't have the players to play the way he wants to play & after Saturday he's lost a lot of the fans support, it's just inevitable now.

4 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Write off this season because we switched off against a 1 dimensional team? No chance, we have not started this season well but form can change. A few injuries here and there for them and it can change very quickly. 

A few players need to seriously start performing though.

3 of the last 4 years has told me this is as good as the current defensive unit gets.

2 minutes ago, beararse said:

Do you believe that back line is capable of improving? It's one thing saying the players need to buck up their ideas but what happens if they are incapable. Will we give then another year in the hope they can prove themselves?

That back line has players who may step in at some point and also has players out injured so it can change therefore improve. If we're counting the goalkeeper as part of the back line then that is a position that definitely needs addressed. 

Never write off a season, some at at board level might have and if they have, fuck them, Funny I’m no really thinking about the Ajax or Europe now but how we’ll play against the mutton mob, if we really need to get back on track we need to rag doll these horrible sheep shaggin cunts.

11 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Domestically yes.

Away form and they way we approach the games is atrocious. We would need to go on an unbelievable run including winning the next 3 Old Firm games to have a chance.

We don't need to win the next 3 Old Firm games to have a chance of winning the league. They won their home game against us. The manner of defeat was pathetic from our point of view, but the season has only just started and we are more than capable of beating them at Ibrox. They are on fire just now but that won't last the whole season. 

What we need to do is start pumping the rest of the dross in the league and ditch the overly cautious, slow approach.

I would hope we can get to the world cup break within  3 or 4 points, then have them at Ibrox, hopefully with couple of signings in January and players staying fit, also IF we are out of Europe and they are still in it, we should be playing before them most weekends to put a bit of pressure on them. 

Wouldn't give up on the league yet.

7 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

When Gerrard left last season we were 5 points in front. The scum were that poor that that was even with us dropping points, they had just dropped more. Things at that time looked bleak for them but as a full season shows things can turn around very quickly.

We're not showing many signs that we're capable of turning things round but have a look how many key players are out injured or still coming back from injury. We also have new players bedding in. A year ago many were writing off Lundstram and Bassey was nowhere near the levels he finished the season at so again there's more reasons how things can change.

It may not be looking great right now but there's a long way to go so writing the season off at this stage is mental however we need to find a way of consistently winning games quickly. 

Agree with most of that but i cant see how that defence backline isn't going to improve with two full backs who cant defend and a centre half who's been nothing more than adequate over the last 4 years. Hopefully they prove me wrong but id prefer a clean sweep and bring in the new lads in preparation for the next few years.

4 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

That back line has players who may step in at some point and also has players out injured so it can change therefore improve. If we're counting the goalkeeper as part of the back line then that is a position that definitely needs addressed. 

Thats the point i'm making. Once fit id get the new lads in.

4 minutes ago, Amato said:

We don't need to win the next 3 Old Firm games to have a chance of winning the league. They won their home game against us. The manner of defeat was pathetic from our point of view, but the season has only just started and we are more than capable of beating them at Ibrox. They are on fire just now but that won't last the whole season. 

What we need to do is start pumping the rest of the dross in the league and ditch the overly cautious, slow approach.

and stop conceding soft goals. If cant see that happening with the current personnel unfortunately.