Steve Clarke hopes UEFA sectarian singing penalty helps Rangers ‘tackle fan behaviour’. ...by TOM ENGLISH

Robmc1

Interviewed this morning on BBC news about how he ‘lost it’  (5-1 literally) that night then his ‘dark ages’ rant etc etc. Was there really any need for this all to be dragged up again given the club strongly responded (albeit not to everyone’s taste). As the National and perceived neutral coach he could easily have stated the mater had been dealt with and look to move forward, he had no cause to wade in to this issue. The hypocrisy atm as well as the ongoing agenda of no marks such as the author Tom English is what is the most disappointing issue here.

Small mention of celtic singing later in the article but very much another story/ headline/ interview in my opinion created to darken the Rangers brand and again dehumanise the support...

14CC51CB-43B0-4750-B698-D273EC7A4320.png

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

It’s funny how Clarke has become a poster child for this but there has been next to nowhere near the same level of talk or widespread support for Derek McInnes after he reacted to celtic fans chanting sectarian abuse at him. It was briefly glossed over then quickly forgotten about.

He was punished for reacting to it, then apologised for reacting to said sectarian abuse!

1 minute ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

This was also on the national text on all BBC channels, so everyone who reads that all over the UK would have at least seen the headline.

Did they do a piece on the high praise the club received from the MOD last week? Imo a far more newsworthy and positive piece promoting time effort and money in support of the armed forces. The partial closure had already been announced, this story was conceived chased up and delivered with one transparent notion in mind...

14 minutes ago, Robmc1 said:

Especially since McInness actually got sent off for taking umbrage with it. I honestly believe it was more to do with the horsing his team got that night he spat the dummy,  the singing deflector was laid at his feet by a reporter which he gratefully clasped on to...

100% it was to deflect from the 5-1 smashing.

His response or lack of response to boyd receiving sectarian abuse the very next game was disgraceful. 

10 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Overall it's not a negative as the op makes out. Clarke's quotes aren't just about us and he mentions he has been back at Ibrox with no incidents.

Scotland manager Steve Clarke hopes a Uefa punishment for sectarian singing from supporters will help Rangers eradicate unacceptable fan behaviour.

The club have been ordered to close part of Ibrox for Thursday's Europa League meeting with Legia Warsaw.

Clarke said he faced "sectarian" abuse from the "dark ages" at the ground last season while in charge of Kilmarnock.

"Maybe it will make some people think about what they're going to say in the future, hopefully," he said.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes said he was sent off in April at celtic Park for reacting to sectarian abuse directed at him, and Clarke believes more must be done to tackle the issue.

"There are other people get it from the celtic fans," he told BBC Scotland. "It's not a one-way street. It's two different sides, two different clubs, two fantastic clubs, but they have to do a little bit more to stamp it out.

"Rangers have reacted very well to it. They're trying their best, as I'm sure the people at celtic are.

'Sometimes clubs have to try a little harder'

Rangers chairman Dave King apologised publicly to Clarke after February's 5-0 defeat in Govan. He also issued a strongly-worded statement in response to the Uefa punishment that means 3,000 seats on Thursday will be closed off, urging any supporter "unable to behave in a civilised manner" to "stay away from Ibrox and our club".

"I've been back at Ibrox since - no issues whatsoever," Clarke. "I had some wonderful supportive letters from Rangers supporters and not too many disruptive letters.

"I was actually very heartened by the response I got from a lot of people all over Scotland.".

The Scotland manager believes Hearts owner Ann Budge's decision to close a section of Tynecastle last season helped the club tackle fan misbehaviour, adding: "The clubs have to clamp down on it. And the clubs do try, but sometimes they maybe have to try a little bit harder.

"I thought the move by Ann Budge was brave and it's worked well for them because it gives people a little lesson and says 'look, you can't go into a football stadium and behave like an idiot'. You have to go into a stadium, support your team, sing all the songs that are supportive of your own team, rather than try to be negative towards the opposition."

Clarke says he "lost it" in an emotional press conference after Kilmarnock's 5-0 defeat back in February.

"I'd come back to Scotland and you think times would move on, Rangers were much more inclusive," said the former Chelsea defender.

"To get that on that particular night, listen, the chants started, it was fine, I was whatever I was, I was a 'W', no problem, it was their night.

"They [supporters] deserved their moment, I was happy to take that, but the sectarian singing, you don't need. If it happens in the street, it's a crime. If it happens in a football stadium, there are so many people doing it then suddenly it's not a crime. That can't be correct.

"I would love to think that in years to come it won't be an issue in Scotland and hopefully with education, with time, it will get better and become a thing of the past."

TBF I had watched the interview on the national BBC news channel before reading this which predominantly focused on Rangers with little mention of other clubs. As I said this had been dealt with, he as the new Scotland coach could easily have sidestepped this as in the way it’s portrayed and headlined it looks like it’s a Rangers problem alone, many people will take this impression and not read through the full narrative...

4 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

100% it was to deflect from the 5-1 smashing.

His response or lack of response to boyd receiving sectarian abuse the very next game was disgraceful. 

Think it was the game preceding that one at Rugby Park which in my mind made it even worse...

18 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Overall it's not a negative as the op makes out. Clarke's quotes aren't just about us and he mentions he has been back at Ibrox with no incidents.

Scotland manager Steve Clarke hopes a Uefa punishment for sectarian singing from supporters will help Rangers eradicate unacceptable fan behaviour.

The club have been ordered to close part of Ibrox for Thursday's Europa League meeting with Legia Warsaw.

Clarke said he faced "sectarian" abuse from the "dark ages" at the ground last season while in charge of Kilmarnock.

"Maybe it will make some people think about what they're going to say in the future, hopefully," he said.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes said he was sent off in April at celtic Park for reacting to sectarian abuse directed at him, and Clarke believes more must be done to tackle the issue.

"There are other people get it from the celtic fans," he told BBC Scotland. "It's not a one-way street. It's two different sides, two different clubs, two fantastic clubs, but they have to do a little bit more to stamp it out.

"Rangers have reacted very well to it. They're trying their best, as I'm sure the people at celtic are.

'Sometimes clubs have to try a little harder'

Rangers chairman Dave King apologised publicly to Clarke after February's 5-0 defeat in Govan. He also issued a strongly-worded statement in response to the Uefa punishment that means 3,000 seats on Thursday will be closed off, urging any supporter "unable to behave in a civilised manner" to "stay away from Ibrox and our club".

"I've been back at Ibrox since - no issues whatsoever," Clarke. "I had some wonderful supportive letters from Rangers supporters and not too many disruptive letters.

"I was actually very heartened by the response I got from a lot of people all over Scotland.".

The Scotland manager believes Hearts owner Ann Budge's decision to close a section of Tynecastle last season helped the club tackle fan misbehaviour, adding: "The clubs have to clamp down on it. And the clubs do try, but sometimes they maybe have to try a little bit harder.

"I thought the move by Ann Budge was brave and it's worked well for them because it gives people a little lesson and says 'look, you can't go into a football stadium and behave like an idiot'. You have to go into a stadium, support your team, sing all the songs that are supportive of your own team, rather than try to be negative towards the opposition."

Clarke says he "lost it" in an emotional press conference after Kilmarnock's 5-0 defeat back in February.

"I'd come back to Scotland and you think times would move on, Rangers were much more inclusive," said the former Chelsea defender.

"To get that on that particular night, listen, the chants started, it was fine, I was whatever I was, I was a 'W', no problem, it was their night.

"They [supporters] deserved their moment, I was happy to take that, but the sectarian singing, you don't need. If it happens in the street, it's a crime. If it happens in a football stadium, there are so many people doing it then suddenly it's not a crime. That can't be correct.

"I would love to think that in years to come it won't be an issue in Scotland and hopefully with education, with time, it will get better and become a thing of the past."

It is much broader than the headline suggests....so why specifically use Rangers in the headline?

30 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

The club won’t challenge uefa in their interpretation of sectarian but we should be challenging this prick as what is sectarian about fenians as some of these utter cunts say they are Protestant 💁🏿‍♂️

0B8DB4AC-0059-47D5-9394-3FD7DC9B1966.jpeg

You're right Stevie bhoy, you are no fenian, just a dirty malcontent taig bastard.

Tommy bhoy just taking the opportunity to stick the blade in after the UEFA sanction to blacken our name.

4 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

You're right Stevie bhoy, you are no fenian, just a dirty malcontent taig bastard.

Tommy bhoy just taking the opportunity to stick the blade in after the UEFA sanction to blacken our name.

I am utterly convinced you use the word 'malcontent' more than any human being who has ever lived.

To be fair to Clarke, his interview is not biased. Gives it out to both sides equally. I am still convinced however, that it was 99% faux offence and the whole thing blew up to cover the fact he got pumped so hard.

That goes both ways. He caused the 'fenian' thing to get blown out of proportion, which in turn caused the 'orange/H**' things on Boyd and McInnes to get blown out of proportion.

Scotlands whole reputation is in the gutter because both sides want the other punished. In this day and age, there is no way you can justify either side, even though the offence is purely put on for show.