DR gunning for Heart and Hand

magic8ball

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

I'm 1/4 5th generation Irish. Should start an ethnic Irish Scottish supporters club to give the alternative Irish viewpoint. Couldn't ignore us, cause that would be no better than no platforming an ethnocultural subset. Denying a minority a voice. Racism. Take this playing them at their own game to a whole new level yaas 

Surely if they see the island of Ireland as one country, I, as a Northern Irishman am in their eyes Irish. So any derogatory remarks they make about H***, the Orange Order  etc. is anti irish racism.

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Minchin has performed that song countless times in Scotland.

The basis of the song being if you cover up or assist child abuse you are as guilty as the abuser- a basic principle of Scot law. Don’t think anyone could disagree, wherever it was performed 

Just now, SkylineBlue said:

Common sense would suggest that. But doesn't the bill cover the arts if it can be argued it is intentionally inflammatory? Constantly saying " fuck the pope" and calling him a "filthy motherfucker"  could easily be interpreted that way.

Only if it can be argued that it would cause offence in a 'reasonable person'. That won't happen given the context of where it takes place. You'd then end up with makers of TV programmes and movies up in court for using similar language. Rappers in Scottish courts for using 'nigger' in their music and all sorts of other nonsense. Had it just been a bloke sitting in the middle of his street with a cheap keyboard and a couple of cans singing it, he'd be fucked most likely but the context and setting is important.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Only if it can be argued that it would cause offence in a 'reasonable person'. That won't happen given the context of where it takes place. You'd then end up with makers of TV programmes and movies up in court for using similar language. Rappers in Scottish courts for using 'n***er' in their music and all sorts of other nonsense. Had it just been a bloke sitting in the middle of his street with a cheap keyboard and a couple of cans singing it, he'd be fucked most likely but the context and setting is important.

But that's partly the reason there was such an uproar about the bill; that it could criminalise comedians/playwrights/artists. The "reasonable person" test doesn't wash with me. I believe it was used in the Count Dankula case and, to any reasonable person, it was clear the video was a joke. A pretty bad joke, but a joke none the less. He got convicted. I understand that the contexts here aren't exactly the same, but they're not a million miles apart and it shows that the "reasonable person" test isn't a sufficient balance to malicious prosecution. Who doesn't think they're reasonable?

Just now, SkylineBlue said:

But that's partly the reason there was such an uproar about the bill, that it could criminalise comedians/playwrights/artists. The "reasonable person" test doesn't wash with me. I believe it was used in the Count Dankula case and, to any reasonable person, it was clear the video was a joke. A pretty bad joke, but a joke none the less. He got convicted. I understand that the contexts here aren't exactly the same, but they're not a million miles apart and it shows that the "reasonable person" test isn't a sufficient balance to malicious prosecution. Who doesn't think they're reasonable?

Twitter is basically just shouting it out your window at any cunt that's passing by whether they want to listen or not. There's also the thing that there's not tany satire/parody in the Count Dankula stuff. He was just being a cunt. There was no punchline, there was no critical thought, there was no pointing out where someone/something is wrong, he was just getting his dog to react to phrases like Sieg Heil for lolz. There's a HUGE difference between the pair.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Twitter is basically just shouting it out your window at any cunt that's passing by whether they want to listen or not. There's also the thing that there's not tany satire/parody in the Count Dankula stuff. He was just being a cunt. There was no punchline, there was no critical thought, there was no pointing out where someone/something is wrong, he was just getting his dog to react to phrases like Sieg Heil for lolz. There's a HUGE difference between the pair.

That's not true. He explains the joke in the video. The joke was turning this cute little dog that his girlfriend loved and doted on into the worst thing he could possibly think of to annoy her. The "punchline" is that he's ruined this dog that she puts on a pedestal by training it to do something abhorrent. 

I'm not saying it's a good joke, but its still an obvious joke.

Anyway, we're probably not going to totally agree here and we're drifitng miles from the point of the thread.

1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

I don't think the media really care about what random Joe Publics on RM are saying, especially as they can't even be properly identified. If they did, they could dip in here on any given day and get screenshots of sectarian quotes. They're only interested in the scalps of those with a high profile within the club.

They’ve done it before. I mind seeing posts from posters on this forum in the daily record years ago. They weren’t even that bad iirc. 

12 minutes ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

They’ve done it before. I mind seeing posts from posters on this forum in the daily record years ago. They weren’t even that bad iirc. 

That was posts about wee jay (or are you referring to the Lennon cartoon?). Anyway, they're clearly not that interested in anonymous randoms on football forums being sectarian. This site is riddled with sectarianism, as is the tarrier site, so it wou!d be easy pickings for them. Maybe they'd trawl back if you suddenly became a Rangers director, but then they'd need to prove it was you.

1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

I don't think the media really care about what random Joe Publics on RM are saying, especially as they can't even be properly identified. If they did, they could dip in here on any given day and get screenshots of sectarian quotes. They're only interested in the scalps of those with a high profile within the club.

They *may* come after general fan stuff but tbh, they'd likely go for twitter first as you're more likely to find actual people on twitter rather than simply folk using psuedonyms like on here. That still seems a fair bit down the line though (if it happens at all)

23 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

@RaoulDuke66

Which former Daily Record employee are you? 

So I post this:

"That's all well and good. But the DR's culture of hate has been allowed to go on under the watch of Editor in Chief David Dick. Surely the DR's disgusting ideology of bile won't be fixed until he goes."

... and you work out that I'm a DR employee? 🤣

I think we're in the presence of one of the World's greatest thinkers, lads. 

1 minute ago, TEFTONG said:

Surely after this weekend anyone wishing to come after Rangers fans would need to ensure the are squeaky clean themselves. 

You'd think so but it probably won't matter. With the exception of a couple of freelancers not getting shifts with them anymore, I doubt much will happen. Some twitter accounts might disappear and bylines might not appear on stories for a wee bit but 95% of those outed will face zero consequences. Same can't be said for any Rangers fans splashed across the papers and tarred as bigots/racists etc.