****The official Rangers v the tarriers thread****

wully

11 hours ago, Monty Zoomer said:

I am hopeful we can get an early goal (first 10 mins) then just shut up shop - I know it sounds defeatist 

It’s not that it sounds defeatist 

it’s that we are fucking terrible at doing this and have been for years 

almost all of our defeats by them in the last three or 4 seasons has came off the back of tactics which have had us sitting deeper and trying to frustrate them. The only exception I can think to this rule is league cup final in 2019 where they snatched a win against the run of play 

last Ibrox game we literally tried the plan you stated and made a cunt of it after taking an early lead 

We want to win then we need to have a proper go at them 

11 hours ago, Monty Zoomer said:

I am hopeful we can get an early goal (first 10 mins) then just shut up shop - I know it sounds defeatist but they have a much better bench and if we push the game, we risk injury or fatigue - their subs could destroy us but if we are careful, we can keep the initial 11 on the job for 75 minutes and bring on a couple of subs to shore up more, later on - frustrate the hell out of them and watch them unravel as 50,000 bears start the party

Over 80 minutes of shutting up shop?

I doubt we could shut up shop if our goal came 8 minutes into time added on.

Tillman needs to play off the centre forward, he's far to lazy to play on the right of a front three, time and time again he was caught out against Motherwell, we need someone stronger on the right to cover Tav who is hopelessly out of form.

12 hours ago, Monty Zoomer said:

I am hopeful we can get an early goal (first 10 mins) then just shut up shop - I know it sounds defeatist but they have a much better bench and if we push the game, we risk injury or fatigue - their subs could destroy us but if we are careful, we can keep the initial 11 on the job for 75 minutes and bring on a couple of subs to shore up more, later on - frustrate the hell out of them and watch them unravel as 50,000 bears start the party

Last we played them at home we got an early goal and tried to shut up shop.

That didn't go too well.

32 minutes ago, the old guard said:

Tillman needs to play off the centre forward, he's far to lazy to play on the right of a front three, time and time again he was caught out against Motherwell, we need someone stronger on the right to cover Tav who is hopelessly out of form.

Agreed 100%.  Taylor just ran past him the entire 90 mins in the first OF.  He just didn't have the legs or the will to cover that off.

6 minutes ago, JackAlex93 said:

He goes hiding in big games.

I'd stick with him. I think MB will too. We need his crossing skills. Every opportunity will count against the scum. Divine is nowhere near as good at crossing. 

Borna also seems to have got a confidence boost from the world cup. It's all our midfield that worry me. Full of individuals who make errors and are happy to let the game pass them by when out of possession.

My opinion Monday is going to be a painful watch. You'll see a team full of confidence on the front foot from the first whistle v a team that is low on confidence doesn't believe in itself and is at the end of its cycle. 

A point is the best we will get. We will need to score minimum 2 goals to achieve that. 

13 hours ago, Monty Zoomer said:

It never works against them.  

We always end up getting hammered when we try any approach that involves frustrating, shutting up shop or containing them.

They are used to sides just trying to defend against them for long parts of the game. 

We have to go at them and try and force them on the back foot. They aren't used to sides attacking them consistently. 

13 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

My opinion Monday is going to be a painful watch. You'll see a team full of confidence on the front foot from the first whistle v a team that is low on confidence doesn't believe in itself and is at the end of its cycle. 

A point is the best we will get. We will need to score minimum 2 goals to achieve that. 

Well I hope that none of the squad read that. It's your opinion and you are entitled to it but it's overly pessimistic.

Few on here are way too negative. They’ve had 2 good wins but won their previous 4 by just one goal. 

Home advantage is massive. Can’t be underestimated- especially the impact it has on the press. 

Touch wood we might actually go into this with a semi decent squad. First game we had Davis and Sands in the spine.

We’ve now got a good CB pairing off the back of a few clean sheets. 

Good chance they will be playing Hatate at right back.

I think Beale will set us up better than Gio who was far too negative.

3-2.

Borna and tav playing further up park was a benchmark against them under gerrard/beales first term. It doesnt expose them as bad with cover from the CDms who can actually tackle.

borna playing as a defensive minded left back is chronic, playing as an attacking wingback is a different story.