****The official Rangers v the tarriers thread****

wully

The league is already gone for me, so this game is just about pride.

Go out and compete, give a good competitive performance.

A win would be great, draw acceptable.

A narrow defeat would be stinking but somewhat understandable.

Getting battered would be unacceptable and would really spell out that serious changes have to happen in the squad for next season.

1 hour ago, RoboBearToo said:

Last we played them at home we got an early goal and tried to shut up shop.

That didn't go too well.

Not how I remember it, thought we scored a good goal that took us by surprise a little then didn’t know wtf to do for the rest of the game. 

15 minutes ago, billythebear1986 said:

Borna and tav playing further up park was a benchmark against them under gerrard/beales first term. It doesnt expose them as bad with cover from the CDms who can actually tackle.

borna playing as a defensive minded left back is chronic, playing as an attacking wingback is a different story. 

Absolutely.  A feature of our play at that time was Jack dropping back right, and Kamara back left, to allow them to have higher starting positions and attacking.  We need them higher up the park with the forwards more inverted and the midfield 3 doing a covering job if they are caught up the park and we lose possession.  

1 hour ago, JackAlex93 said:

Don't want to see Borna in our starting 11

1 hour ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Set up 2 goals against Motherwell. His crossing was outstanding and we kept a clean sheet. 

If we play on the front foot, play Barisic. If not, tell him he can watch it on the TV.

5 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Aye. Devine is better in defence imo.

We'd be mad to sit back against the scum. Sure way to lose the match. 

We might not have a choice, if even two of our starting 11 get caught up in the rush (looking at kamara and tillman) then playing 2 men down we'll get bogged down, pushed back and penned in

41 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

The league is already gone for me, so this game is just about pride.

Go out and compete, give a good competitive performance.

A win would be great, draw acceptable.

A narrow defeat would be stinking but somewhat understandable.

Getting battered would be unacceptable and would really spell out that serious changes have to happen in the squad for next season.

Even if we cut the gap to 6 points?

5 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I hate that our fanbase ruin young players by heaping enormous pressure on them and pretending they’re capable of things that they aren’t.

Lowry is not the second coming of Andrés Iniesta

I hate that our fan base scald players before their career even takes off. He has received a fair amount of criticism after a 5 or 6/10 performance. As I said, he looks to play forward passes (just like Tillman) and his possession rate will improve with game time. A refreshing change to the horseshoe passing in recent years.

But hey, maybe we should set up and play for a draw on Monday the way Gio did. We are nine points behind. Three defensive midfielders are not the answer.

For what is worth, I don't expect him to be anywhere near the starting line-up, but it's not wrong to suggest reasons why he should.

10 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

We can win every game left and not win the league. A gap of 6 points after this game will make no difference.

You're probably right.  We just need to hope they implode...  There's been a good dozen games they have only just managed to get the win over the line.  Eventually, when the hamstrings all start to go perhaps we'll see them dropping points here and there.

We on the other hand should continue to improve and have some of our better players still to return from injury.

I’m more concerned about next season now. I haven’t seen anything to suggest we will be in a position to halt them as they are doing their business early like they did to great affect last New Year. We are meanwhile effectively saying that we won’t be signing any goalkeepers. *sigh*

I’m not sure how many more times I can hear the “quality over quantity” line.

Beat them on Monday and the embers of hope will be kept alive I suppose.