VAR - what needs to change?

theiconicman

Despite enjoying the game last night and watching them getting pumped, I have to sympathise in that I don't like the way VAR is working. Specifically I don't like that someone in a control room decides what gets look at and what doesn't.

Particularly in goals, when VAR then pore over eveything up to it and you are waiting if some small infraction noone complained about is suddenly going to rule out your goal.

I'd like to see it changed more like tennis, where the teams are in control. So you can give both managers 2 review calls in a game and the referee can also have 2 review calls. That way if your team is complaining of something in a pivotal moment, the VAR replays the incident from multiple angles to the referee. You will reduce cost (you don't need another set of VAR referees, just video operators), will let the game flow and hopefully only intervene when necessary. It also re-establishes the referee's authority, we can make him review something, but noone else is making a call in his ear.

I do hope FIFA/UEFA review VAR and look to make changes, I think it sucks the way it is just now.

49 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Get rid of it

I think it has value, particularly offside/ fouls in the box goals, but the level of scrutiny is now mental - it should be designed to work for the teams, not the referees in my mind.

48 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Starting a thread cause fenians have had a player rightfully sent off 🤢

You could look it that way, but noone is happy with VAR at the moment and the bleating in the press today is what brought this back to mind for me. If the ref wasn't sure last night, he could still ask to see a replay under the suggestion.

30 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Replays etc should be broadcast in stadiums 

Agree - also think referees should be mic'd into the stadiums as well. Just because some stadiums don't have it shouldn't stop us moving towards it. The fans in football are still treated like shit.

I think there's too much onus on the referee if he's asked to have another look - he'd need to be very brave to still think he's still right after another ref , on VAR with every angle , tells him to look again . 

I like what they do in rugby , where the ref explains what he is seeing , and actually discusses it with the VAR team at any contentious moment ,  and the spectators get to hear his reasoning behind that decision . Won't happen though . 

We're never going to get rid of it because the basic premise that led to its introduction is that referees were making mistakes in games that now potentially cost teams tens of millions of pounds. People will come back and say that they still make mistakes with VAR, which is true, but it's a lower amount. So the issue people generally have is with the process, the length of time and how it affects the flow of a game.

I think the best way is to introduce a "challenge" system, similar to tennis and basketball. Every match, a manager has a challenge they can use to ask VAR to review a decision. This can only be for certain things - to reverse the decision on a goal (either one that is awarded or has been cut off), to reverse a second yellow/red card, to query potential serious foul play (for example, they've seen one of their players get elbowed or they feel that an opponent who has just been booked should have been red carded instead) and for mistaken identity (player disciplined for something they didn't do). 

If they are successful, they retain their challenge. If not, they have no further challenges for the match. Keeping it for these specific circumstances would also ensure managers (I'm looking at you, Mourinho) wouldn't be able to use their challenge as a way to either kill time or kill the momentum of a match.

It would also add an element of tactics to the challenges - do you risk it 10 minutes in on a goal that's been disallowed, knowing if you're wrong you can't challenge anything later on in the match, for example? 

I think the greatest attraction for me, though, is that it's probably the closest we're going to get to that feeling of euphoria when the ball hits the back of the net. Now, when we start celebrating, there's always that question mark hanging over our head of is the goal going to count. Think back to Lundstram against Leipzig. I remember going mental but a tiny part of me was worried that Sakala had fouled the keeper, and sure enough it goes to a VAR check. A challenge system will eliminate most of this fear as every goal won't be getting scrutinised.