Steven Davis another year.

Smile

24 minutes ago, Seraph said:

Delighted for the guy. Absolute pro and has never embarrassed us, himself or the club while wearing the jersey. Folk being a little to quick to get rid of a player of his standing is toe curling. Back to playing Fifa and watching wrestling while wearing super hero t-shirts and pj's ya overgrown weirdos.  

C3556E2B-208B-48C7-9FB8-99FFB21D7442.gif.0fb703a71cc4de680354033ece425c7b.gif

2 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

He has earned it over the past 6 weeks or so

Dont know why people are so annoyed by keeping him and Arfield, yet to see a proper argument against either

I think the main gripe is that when Jack has been injured or Lundstrum/Kamara off form. We haven’t had the quality in the squad to keep up performances.

Almost all of our dropped points post Christmas break was with Arfield starting in midfield.

Probably the worst performance of the season was the League Cup defeat where Davis and Arfield started and were totally overrun.

Sentimentality can be costly. We need to look for guys who will improve us in the future or add something different/be pushing the first team players.

Davis has done very well over the last 6 weeks but we should be aiming to scout young talent that can do more than that. How much will he offer over a full season at 38.

As plenty have pointed out. Some experience is valuable. I think the squad has enough and leaders starting on the pitch are what you need. The best decision celtic made was to punt Scott Brown when his legs were done and take a gamble on a few signings. 

Davis and Arfield are great servants but honestly now I think they’re probably closer to Hearts quality than the quality needed to win the title back or compete in Europe.

4 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

Keeping an experienced pro with something still to offer in a season were we might have a lot of change.

People are nuts when they think it’s not a good deal.

Dani Alves (39) Barcelona

Luka Modric (36) Real Madrid

Ibrahimovic (40) AC Milan

Tiago Silva (38) Chelsea

Ronaldo (37) Man U

Milner (36) Liverpool

Davis has been a model pro throughout his career and has never let down any manager, any club or his country

He had a massive influence on the cup semi v the scum, never put a foot wrong in the cup final and made a difference in Seville

I'll trust Gio on this one and believe SD has an important role to play next year

17 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

We should be looking forward not just renewing contracts of players whose best years are well behind them. Failure to strengthen last season was very costly and extensions for Arfield and Davi’s looks like it is going to be the same story.

😅 Fuck me, It's the 1st of June , would hold fire until August at the earliest. When did we start judging transfer windows before they've even started?

6 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

As plenty have pointed out. Some experience is valuable. I think the squad has enough and leaders starting on the pitch are what you need. The best decision celtic made was to punt Scott Brown when his legs were done and take a gamble on a few signings. 

Davis and Arfield are great servants but honestly now I think they’re probably closer to Hearts quality than the quality needed to win the title back or compete in Europe.

:britney:

If it was me out of the 3 I’d have given Davis an extension. 

I think it was strange to give Arfield one unless him and Lowry essentially swap the number of appearances each had this season.

If McGregor is next it really is going to be a long summer and should eventually lead to the removal of Wilson and Robertson at least

7 hours ago, docspiderman said:

We should be looking forward not just renewing contracts of players whose best years are well behind them. Failure to strengthen last season was very costly and extensions for Arfield and Davi’s looks like it is going to be the same story.

Unreal 🤣

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Arfield isn’t good enough anymore would be my biggest one. OK with Davis. 

More than good enough back up

The year is 2042, Steven Davis has just signed a one year extension to his current contract. He is now the record holder for most appearances in world football and has celebrated his 800th cap for Nothern Ireland. Ross Wilson's Rangers fought valiantly to avoid relegation from the Republic of Scotland League 2, Club President David Graham is happy with the progress in creating the Edmiston House Museum which is expected to begin construction work within the next year.

7 hours ago, ScottBF2 said:

The year is 2042, Steven Davis has just signed a one year extension to his current contract. He is now the record holder for most appearances in world football and has celebrated his 800th cap for Nothern Ireland. Ross Wilson's Rangers fought valiantly to avoid relegation from the Republic of Scotland League 2, Club President David Graham is happy with the progress in creating the Edmiston House Museum which is expected to begin construction work within the next year.

It's remarkable that he has continued to play international football to this age while at a club playing 65 big games a season ... what an example to the younger players :thumbup:

On 31/05/2022 at 19:49, STEPPS BOY said:

Davis
Arfield
Jack
Lundstram
Kamara
Aribo
Hagi
Sands
Ofoborh
Lowry
McCann

11 midfielders, 8 of them defensive minded.

Where exactly do we fit in a new midfielder now?

Exactly. We play most matches with 3 midfield subs. Which has been Davis, Arfield, Sands. We have no room in the squad for improvement now.

People on here forgetting we lost the league. And they are only going to be better next year with champs league money.

How does anyone think that having a bench of Davis, Arfield and Sands is title winning quality or improving?

Imagine going into the next old firm with that midfield starting. We would get pumped. 

”They’re good enough back up”.

No they’re not. Have a look through the games that Davis, Arfield and Sands have started. And look at our win percentage. 

A big reason we lost the league was because the squad players were nowhere near the standard needed.

We have no room now to sign a midfielder to improve us. Unless we lose a starter Kamara/Jack/Lundstrum in which case we will do well just to match their quality.

3 of them were basically free. We should be looking to sign the next/better one. That’s how you improve.

A different route to Davis/Arfield would have been the mini Bayern model which is a first team ready loan signing, the best upcoming talent in the league and whoever is top of your scouting list in an undervalued league. 

So something like:

Gilmour loan signing (young, fit and first team ready)

An Eredvisie talent that Gio likes/identifies

Then the next Jack/Kamara spl talent (a goal scoring midfielder eg Levitt)

That’s a nice combo of utilising loan market with a safe squad player. And taking a a chance on a player who can genuinely improve you in a position we need (goal scoring midfielder as opposed to another CDM)