Boyd on Porteous

sassaaaa

This should go well.......

Rangers and celtic MUST battle it out to sign Ryan Porteous, says Kris Boyd – I’m sure the run-ins would be forgotten

IF Rangers and celtic are not already fighting it out for the signature of Ryan Porteous then they should be.

The Hibs defender is out of contract in the summer and he’ll be the perfect fit for either of the Old Firm, who need central defensive reinforcements.
People might be surprised by me touting him for a big move as I have been critical of him in the past.

Yes, some of his antics infuriate you but I have never ever questioned his ability.

Porteous’ performance on his Scotland debut against Ukraine shows when he’s on it then he’s as good as any central defender in the country.

It has been mentioned that his display under the utmost pressure in Poland was a one-off. It wasn’t.

There have been plenty of other top-class performances in a Hibs jersey over the past couple of seasons.

Unfortunately they get lost or forgotten amidst all the other baggage that comes with the 23-year-old.

Too often a lack of discipline on and off the park overshadows the good stuff.

His reputation does go before him at times which is a shame because he certainly has bags of talent.
Porteous has every attribute needed to thrive at Ibrox or Parkhead.
He’s fast, a good passer of the ball and aggressive.

Sometimes he is over-aggressive, but I don’t mind that in the centre half.

Not every player has what it takes to play for the Old Firm.

But the Hibs stopper has shown previously, and proved again in midweek, that he is cut out for the big occasion.
It is imperative he now uses that display going forward as the blueprint for the rest of his career.

It highlighted how good a player he can be when he cuts out all the nonsense.

The time has come for Porteous to forget about playing to the gallery and stop being the pantomime villain.

The 23-year-old also needs to stop focusing on trying to be the hard man and wise guy.

Of course we all do stupid things when we are younger trying to impress the wrong people. I get that.

But the only people that he should be trying to impress are his manager and team-mates.
He doesn’t need to get involved in every single incident on the park. Or off it for that matter.

Maybe his time with Scotland last week will prove to be the humbling experience he needs.

Suddenly he wouldn’t have been the big fish in a small pond like he is right now at Easter Road.

He would’ve been surrounded by top class professionals he respects, or should respect.

Working with a coach who thrives on setting up teams to defend for their lives would also have been a positive experience for him.

Steve Clarke is also a manager who doesn’t suffer fools and wouldn’t stand for anybody playing to the crowd.

He clearly rates him as well and if the defender screws the nut then there is a big move waiting for him around the corner.
Porteous is an international who will be available on a free transfer in eight months. Signing him should be a no-brainer.

Yes, he has had run-ins with Rangers and celtic in the past and there is history, but I’m sure that would be forgotten if he turned in displays like Tuesday night every week.

It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the same levels of intensity and concentration for Hibs against Ross County today.

Didn’t bother reading, but I assume this is all because he apparently had a world class performance for Scotland during their heroic 0-0 draw at home to Ukraine?

Having only really seen him at club level I have always thought he’s pretty average with a tinpot mentality to go along with it. Never been impressed by his footballing ability and in truth only really know of him because he is absolutely shocking at making tackles, which for a defender is some trait to have.

Theres also the small matter of this which again goes back to the tinpot mentality I mentioned.

Alfie lying there ignoring him is some laugh though :lol:

58AC2E9E-8813-444B-B2E6-F28ADC05674A.webp

I suspected it was only a matter of time before some pundit came out with this on the back of that game the other night :lol:

When he screws the nut and he isn’t trying to “show the attacker he’s there” or “leave one on them” then Porteous is actually a decent defender. With the right coaching there’s certainly the potential of a really good player, but I still wouldn’t want us to sign him because there’s far too much history between him and us and Boyd and his ghost writer know that too, but have still put that out there because they know it will generate discussion.

30 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Steve Clarke is also a manager who doesn’t suffer fools and wouldn’t stand for anybody playing to the crowd.

He clearly rates him as well

Was he not only playing because there’s been a complete injury crisis at centre half for Scotland? :lol:

The overreaction to his performance, which admittedly was good, is exactly the same as we seen after Souttar had a one off stand out game against Denmark last year.

Let’s just hope we aren’t daft enough to fall for the hype again this year with Porteous.

52 minutes ago, scotty1976 said:

Porteous is a decent player. From a football perspective he’d be a good signing. But….he’s a loose cannon, he hates us, he’d be targeted by officials for things he gets away with right now if he was playing for us, and finally I don’t want anyone who glasses women in pubs anywhere near our club.

Big no from me for this bawbag. 

I hate him but it was a plastic tumbler not a glass. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Be better than Sands, King, Souttar or the guys that are never fit.

Not a bad shout as a footballer on a free. Shame he’s a fanny of a guy.

How can you say he'll be better than king? The lad is clearly a talent and has the potential to be a top centre half. I agree with the others but adding King in that is a bit harsh. 

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Didn’t bother reading, but I assume this is all because he apparently had a world class performance for Scotland during their heroic 0-0 draw at home to Ukraine?

Having only really seen him at club level I have always thought he’s pretty average with a tinpot mentality to go along with it. Never been impressed by his footballing ability and in truth only really know of him because he is absolutely shocking at making tackles, which for a defender is some trait to have.

Theres also the small matter of this which again goes back to the tinpot mentality I mentioned.

Alfie lying there ignoring him is some laugh though :lol:

Tinpot mentality is exactly why he's not moved on before now. I think he has a decent level of ability but he'll be sat on the likes of Open Goal podcast in 15 years time saying he could have made more of his career bla bla bla if he hadn't been a fanny when he was younger.