B Team V Celtic

ForeverAndEver

Great performance in the first half.  Could and should have had 5 or 6 by half time.   Celtic defensively were made to look awful.  Thought it frustrating that the Gers coach didn't get us to press them more in the second half.   Some great prospects in the squad.    I had half expected to see only a couple of good players but most of them impressed me.  In fact I only saw a couple who didn't look good enough in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Lowry needs 1st team game time, every other club is willing to play youngsters except us apparently. Judging by the fact he played 75 minutes today then he’s not getting a chance against Dundee.

We seem to have this bizarre notion of protecting players, when in reality all we are doing is holding them back/stagnating their potential.

18 nearly 19 isn’t exactly young, he’s older than Jude Bellingham whose been playing for 2 seasons (obviously not saying he’s as good as him but the point remains)

Its gonna be very difficult to convince him to sign a new contract as even when he’s getting Man of the Match, scoring and assisting goals every time he plays, yet he’s then immediately dropped from the team/squad for months at a time, for more senior players who aren’t performing as well as him.

He made his debut six weeks ago and has been on the bench for most of our games since. 18, nearly 19 IS still young. Players like Bellingham playing regularly at the elite level at that age are far from the norm.

4 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Lowry needs 1st team game time, every other club is willing to play youngsters except us apparently. Judging by the fact he played 75 minutes today then he’s not getting a chance against Dundee.

We seem to have this bizarre notion of protecting players, when in reality all we are doing is holding them back/stagnating their potential.

18 nearly 19 isn’t exactly young, he’s older than Jude Bellingham whose been playing for 2 seasons (obviously not saying he’s as good as him but the point remains)

Its gonna be very difficult to convince him to sign a new contract as even when he’s getting Man of the Match, scoring and assisting goals every time he plays, yet he’s then immediately dropped from the team/squad for months at a time, for more senior players who aren’t performing as well as him.

Tbf, tougher ask here. Other clubs get away with not winning leagues, so it's harder for us to take the risk on untested young guys. Have to start at some point though. Saves money too. Especially when we'll need so many new players next year.

59 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

We need to stop looking at it as though giving him game time means we are likely to lose or are somehow weaker.

Sure if a highly rated youngster comes in and doesn’t perform that well then we will have to wait for the right time to give him a chance.

But when he comes in and creates goals and assists whilst looking every bit as good as those around him then there shouldn’t really be any excuse not to give him game time.

Dropping him for literally NO OTHER REASON than “he’s young” is a stupid way of developing talented young footballers in my opinion.

Sure we don’t necessarily need to start him every week and break him but we certainly need to give him more of a chance than he’s been getting.

If you remove any of the starting midfielders to play Lowry, we ARE weaker. He was 'dropped' because there are better players ahead of him in the pecking order.

3 hours ago, SonicWill said:

Great performance and celtic didn't get a sniff.

Lowry, particularly in the first half, was immense. His first touch is phenomenal and some of his passing was excellent.

Charlie McCann looked great, Leon King absolutely walked it and the fact celtic were limited to one shot on target says it all.

My first time watching the B team and I was really impressed with how comfortable everyone is on the ball and the quality of the passing and movement. I went with my dad to watch St Mirren vs Motherwell a few weeks ago and the game was so poor it would have got football stopped. The difference in technical quality between that game and today's match was night and day, so we're clearly coaching the players in the right way.

Loved the pressing and effort as well. 3-0 up in the 87th minute and our winger is tracking back to pick the celtic player's pocket. Brilliant.

Most fun I can remember having at a game in ages. Was brilliant to get to go along with my dad as well.

glad you enjoyed it  i was there as well have been to a lot of b teams this season  i wish we would ditch that shithole park and place at dumbarton you could see the difference today when the boys had a terrific surface to play the ball on

On 19/03/2022 at 17:08, Inigo said:

Tbf, tougher ask here. Other clubs get away with not winning leagues, so it's harder for us to take the risk on untested young guys. Have to start at some point though. Saves money too. Especially when we'll need so many new players next year.

I won der if all the really great teams have at least a few players who have come up through the club?

Perhaps it's just impossible to import a whole team and have success with it ... especially in a place like Scotland where for better or worse the football is pretty unique

25 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I won der if all the really great teams have at least a few players who have come up through the club?

Perhaps it's just impossible to import a whole team and have success with it ... especially in a place like Scotland where for better or worse the football is pretty unique

Yeah, I don't doubt that it's beneficial to have a few players for whom it means that bit more and who get the culture of a club. 

team isn't just made by the most skillful players. Other stuff matters.

• 3 weeks later...